The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aerohotchoc
Does anyone know if LSE looks at your UMS in your AS levels?

No they dont ask UMS for any subjects. I applied for LSE 2015 entry and got an offer for Economics.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by ddogg
No they dont ask UMS for any subjects. I applied for LSE 2015 entry and got an offer for Economics.

Hi, what subjects and what grades did you achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by iBall
Hi, what subjects and what grades did you achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Math, Further Math, Physics and Economics. Got all A's in AS but low UMS for some modules.
Does anyone know if LSE looks at your UMS in your AS levels?

All courses part of the economics department definitely asked for UMS this year. Basically after the initial two week screening email or whatever they email you asking for UMS. I had to list every maths module I've done and their corresponding UMS. They also asked for my overal UMS for every other subject I took at AS. I'm a current l101 econ offer holder.

(Btw it's not courses with the title economics in it, it's courses from the department e.g. Bsc economics. Something like government + economics which is part of the government department (I think) won't ask for UMS.)
If any economics applicants are interested in editing/writing for a nationwide, a-level economics magazine written by students, for students, then please see the link on tutor2u below:

http://beta.tutor2u.net/economics/blog/connected-economists-invitation-to-write

I am one of the founding editors, and the first edition was distributed around the world, with 2000 print copies. (I'll post a link at the bottom where you can order a free copy, first class delivery, no charge.) If any of you are interested, please either email me personally at: [email protected] or follow the instructions in the article. Both is best.

Obviously, this would look absolutely insane on a personal statement, and is exactly the sort of thing that will set you apart from all the other applicants, whether you're applying to Oxbridge, the LSE, or US universities. Contributors for the first magazine are now going on to universities such as Princeton, Stanford, Cambridge, the LSE etc..

Free magazine: http://tutor2u.net/acatalog/Connected-Economists-Summer-2015-3624.html#SID=581
Original post by Johnpeters
All courses part of the economics department definitely asked for UMS this year. Basically after the initial two week screening email or whatever they email you asking for UMS. I had to list every maths module I've done and their corresponding UMS. They also asked for my overal UMS for every other subject I took at AS. I'm a current l101 econ offer holder.

(Btw it's not courses with the title economics in it, it's courses from the department e.g. Bsc economics. Something like government + economics which is part of the government department (I think) won't ask for UMS.)

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what was your UMS average? I'm so nervous now that I know LSE ask for it.
And congratulations on the offer!
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what was your UMS average? I'm so nervous now that I know LSE ask for it.
And congratulations on the offer!

Best 3 was 92.5% (Economics, geog, history) and 89.7% across everything. My maths however was very low. I did the full A level In y12 and even though I got the A* my UMS across the 6 modules was 81% lol including a B and a D in my applied modules.

Tbh I think the competition regarding offers for lse econ is incredibly overhyped. I go to a top school where you'd think lse would give no leeway whatsoever but we have offer holders for econ who willingly chose not to take further maths. We also have offer holders who got an A In A2 maths who are retaking it this year. Not to mention none of us had an overall UMS average over 90. I wouldn't worry too much with UMS at all as long as you're around the mid 80s minimum and have an A* prediction for maths.

LSE do however love to send rejections claiming your PS was not up to standard so I would make sure you concentrate on that. A focus on global economics and maths seems to be a solid combo. This is kinda hit or miss though as my school had a very strong applicant rejected for their PS yet another with an average PS and worse grades who got an offer.

But like I said, it's not the be all and end all. My friends and I aren't exceptional candidates and we all got offers and the only correlation I see is an A* Inthe EPQ which was mentioned in both our PSs and references, but I'm sure that wasn't particularly significant...

I wrote this assuming you're an economics applicant? But either way I'm happy to answer any more questions!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Best 3 was 92.5% (Economics, geog, history) and 89.7% across everything. My maths however was very low. I did the full A level In y12 and even though I got the A* my UMS across the 6 modules was 81% lol including a B and a D in my applied modules.

Tbh I think the competition regarding offers for lse econ is incredibly overhyped. I go to a top school where you'd think lse would give no leeway whatsoever but we have offer holders for econ who willingly chose not to take further maths. We also have offer holders who got an A In A2 maths who are retaking it this year. Not to mention none of us had an overall UMS average over 90. I wouldn't worry too much with UMS at all as long as you're around the mid 80s minimum and have an A* prediction for maths.

LSE do however love to send rejections claiming your PS was not up to standard so I would make sure you concentrate on that. A focus on global economics and maths seems to be a solid combo. This is kinda hit or miss though as my school had a very strong applicant rejected for their PS yet another with an average PS and worse grades who got an offer.

But like I said, it's not the be all and end all. My friends and I aren't exceptional candidates and we all got offers and the only correlation I see is an A* Inthe EPQ which was mentioned in both our PSs and references, but I'm sure that wasn't particularly significant...

I wrote this assuming you're an economics applicant? But either way I'm happy to answer any more questions!

Is Econ/A&F/Finance possible with AAAB at AS with a A*A*A prediction? Or does a B wipe you out? Will be taking AS further next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Is Econ/A&F/Finance possible with AAAB at AS with a A*A*A prediction? Or does a B wipe you out? Will be taking AS further next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the B in? Unless it's maths it shouldn't be a problem. Know an econ offer holder who got AABB at AS and an A*A*A prediction with no further maths or extenuating circumstances.
It seems as if I'm the only one on this thread looking at applying for International Relations 🙈 I do Maths(will drop it after as), Politics, Philosophy and Economics. I have quite a bit to write in my ps (munga, internship with special advisor in the treasury and doing a taster course at soas) but I worry my grades will not be good enough for lse 😭
Reply 50
What's the B in? Unless it's maths it shouldn't be a problem. Know an econ offer holder who got AABB at AS and an A*A*A prediction with no further maths or extenuating circumstances.

Potential B/Scraped A in physics. Other 3 are Maths, Econ and Chemistry but I also have an A in AS Business Studies from year 11 if that counts for anything? Pretty sure Maths UMS is strong off of Arseys solutions though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Hello! Im a greek student and i wll apply for Maths with Economics. My grades are pretty goodat my school and i will also take up a levels. I take part in national mathematical olympiads and ive won a bronze medal two times but im not sure if lse actually cares about these? If someone has any idea pleaaase answear
I am doing Maths Chem Physics this year at AS, I think I will get a strong A in chemistry, borderline A in maths (slipped up in m1 but i'm good at maths, will go for an A* next year), and like a mid B in physics. I'm planning to drop physics and fast track economics a level next year. My gcse's were 5A*'s and 5A's.

My teachers have said they will predict me an A* in maths and chem and an A for the fast track economics (this prediction is based on a variety of factors during my school life).

I am not able to take further maths even up to an AS.

I will try and write a very good personal statement and will use the fast track economics to show that enthusiasm for the course. But do I not have a chance at LSE because of the lack of FM?

Tbh I think the competition regarding offers for lse econ is incredibly overhyped. I go to a top school where you'd think lse would give no leeway whatsoever but we have offer holders for econ who willingly chose not to take further maths. We also have offer holders who got an A In A2 maths who are retaking it this year. Not to mention none of us had an overall UMS average over 90. I wouldn't worry too much with UMS at all as long as you're around the mid 80s minimum and have an A* prediction for maths

Thank you so much! Yeah I'll be applying for economics next year, what you said about your applied modules makes me feel so much better! Which books did you read/ mention in your PS?
is anyone here applying for sociology at LSE? I'm finishing my A2s this year and taking a gap year next year to work and redo any exams. then maybe apply to LSE then...do i have a chance? I'm no where near as smart as you guys...
i got 2As at GCSE, rest Bs. :frown: poor i know.
at AS i got As and Bs.
sociology at LSE is ABB though..

Posted from TSR Mobile
LSE asked me for UMS (Pure Economics) They only really cared about maths - asking if you took FM or not - and if not why not, also asked about STEP etc - tbh as long as Maths and FM UMS is good then you stand a good chance
Thank you so much! Yeah I'll be applying for economics next year, what you said about your applied modules makes me feel so much better! Which books did you read/ mention in your PS?

Didn't mention any books in my PS itself but read bits of quite a few books for my EPQ which was a key topic in my PS. Think I mentioned Krugman once to support my view though.
@Johnpeters are you an offer holder?
Original post by Alistair12
@Johnpeters are you an offer holder?

Yeah man are you?
Do they ask to see UMS for Law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending