The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Johnpeters
Didn't mention any books in my PS itself but read bits of quite a few books for my EPQ which was a key topic in my PS. Think I mentioned Krugman once to support my view though.

Ahh I see. Did you do four 4 A Levels as well as an EPQ? I'm considering doing so but I'm a bit worried about workload. (I like you have done full A Level Maths in Year 12 and I'm doing FM next year as well as two other A2's).
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by aerohotchoc
Ahh I see. Did you do four 4 A Levels as well as an EPQ? I'm considering doing so but I'm a bit worried about workload. (I like you have done full A Level Maths in Year 12 and I'm doing FM next year as well as two other A2's).

No I had to do it in Y12 along with full a level maths and 3 other ASs which was horrible. This year I did full AS and A2 FM and 2 other A2s, this was reasonably manageable but FM is rather demanding and pretty much takes up all my time. I'd say don't bother with the EPQ, you're probably better off reading some related books at your own pace as it'll basically be of the same importance on your PS as I'm assuming you won't have finished it by the time you write your PS? It benefitted me because I had received my grade before writing my PS so unis had evidence of the sort of standard I wrote it at.

Bear in mind the EPQ was compulsory at my school and if I had the choice, even in hindsight I wouldn't have done it. Not a fan of 5000 word report as I don't like essays and the work done before hand monitoring your progress is very tedious and was about 7000 words for me( although this bit was over 6 months). Mainly stuff like "today I made notes by creating a mind map of the chapters" "spent the day in X library looking for a specific book. Once found, I checked out the credibility of the author And then highlighted the relevant chapters and pages" etc.
No I had to do it in Y12 along with full a level maths and 3 other ASs which was horrible. This year I did full AS and A2 FM and 2 other A2s, this was reasonably manageable but FM is rather demanding and pretty much takes up all my time. I'd say don't bother with the EPQ, you're probably better off reading some related books at your own pace as it'll basically be of the same importance on your PS as I'm assuming you won't have finished it by the time you write your PS? It benefitted me because I had received my grade before writing my PS so unis had evidence of the sort of standard I wrote it at.

Bear in mind the EPQ was compulsory at my school and if I had the choice, even in hindsight I wouldn't have done it. Not a fan of 5000 word report as I don't like essays and the work done before hand monitoring your progress is very tedious and was about 7000 words for me( although this bit was over 6 months). Mainly stuff like "today I made notes by creating a mind map of the chapters" "spent the day in X library looking for a specific book. Once found, I checked out the credibility of the author And then highlighted the relevant chapters and pages" etc.

Yeah I will only have just started my EPQ by the time I write my personal statement and from what you've said I think I'd rather not and just focus on my other grades and personal statement. One more thing- did you do any economics related work experience?

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your help!
Original post by aerohotchoc
Yeah I will only have just started my EPQ by the time I write my personal statement and from what you've said I think I'd rather not and just focus on my other grades and personal statement. One more thing- did you do any economics related work experience?

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your help!

Nah no work experience. And things like work experience at a bank don't have the greatest correlation with a passion for studying economics so there are more useful things to put on your PS IMO.
Nah no work experience. And things like work experience at a bank don't have the greatest correlation with a passion for studying economics so there are more useful things to put on your PS IMO.

Thanks a lot, good luck for everything.
How about if you got 3A'S but an D/E/U in your 4th subject how much would that hinder your chances of getting in.
hi guys,

i was wondering if you could give me some advice on which unis i could get into to do economics with these results: 6A* 6A at GCSE
and i think i will get 3A's (AS Maths, Economics, Biology) 1B (Chemistry) and 1B (A2 Maths)

really disappointed about a2 maths as i know i've really messed up in my mechanics module and think it might bring me down to a B.

i'm predicted A*A*AAA(Maths, Economics, Chem, Bio, F Maths respectively)

i've done a lots of economics related extra curricular and work experience

thanks
Reply 67
Original post by sazmaster
hi guys,

i was wondering if you could give me some advice on which unis i could get into to do economics with these results: 6A* 6A at GCSE
and i think i will get 3A's (AS Maths, Economics, Biology) 1B (Chemistry) and 1B (A2 Maths)

really disappointed about a2 maths as i know i've really messed up in my mechanics module and think it might bring me down to a B.

i'm predicted A*A*AAA(Maths, Economics, Chem, Bio, F Maths respectively)

i've done a lots of economics related extra curricular and work experience

thanks

As you are predicted an A* in maths do you plan to retake?

GCSEs are fine. AS levels are fine. Since the B in A2 Maths I would advise staying away from any maths heavy unis such as LSE, camb ect.

However I don't know how unis treat resist. If you achieve the A* in maths after a resist it would definitely open up more options

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by econam
As you are predicted an A* in maths do you plan to retake?

GCSEs are fine. AS levels are fine. Since the B in A2 Maths I would advise staying away from any maths heavy unis such as LSE, camb ect.

However I don't know how unis treat resist. If you achieve the A* in maths after a resist it would definitely open up more options

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes i plan to retake a2 maths and get an a* which i know i am capable of, it was just one bad module that will bring everything down i think

my careers advisor said that as i am taking a2 modules early, unis won't be informed of these results through ucas but they will mention that i have studied a2 maths in my reference so in the eyes of a uni, they won't know that what grade i have achieved in a2 maths essentially
Reply 69
yes i plan to retake a2 maths and get an a* which i know i am capable of, it was just one bad module that will bring everything down i think

my careers advisor said that as i am taking a2 modules early, unis won't be informed of these results through ucas but they will mention that i have studied a2 maths in my reference so in the eyes of a uni, they won't know that what grade i have achieved in a2 maths essentially

I always thought you had to submit all modules taken on ucas but your careers advisor will be more experienced than me.

With AAAB at AS I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive for places like Warwick and UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah mate, Econ 101 wbu
Yeah man are you?
Guys, I'm a pretty sound student:
GCSEs: 8A* A
A2 (Predicted): A*A*A*A (Maths, Econ, Politics and History Respectively)

I REALLY want to go to the LSE.

One problem, I'm a white, public school boy. I know it's a pretty Liberal and ethnically diverse uni, will they excuse my upbringing?
Hi
I'm thinking of applying for economics or finance but most likely economics.
My GCSE's are 4a* 6a 1b
I'm doing maths, economics, design technology and geography, hopefully AAAB (b in DT) and drop DT
I do a fair amount of further reading and planning on doing epq and AS further maths next year, what are my chances of getting in???

I hope this is true because I've been getting A*s in maths all year and in the actual thing I know I've messed up and might not get it so I'll resit the worse modules next year if need be. Does this heavily affect my chances of getting in?
I've seen it mentioned a few times so far, and just wish to ask... Do LSE ask to see your AS UMS when you apply?
Reply 75
Guys i have a question:
Im a greek student and this year my general grades score during the semesters was 19.9/20. However, during the schools exams my general score dropped to 18.9/20. Do you think that this will have a really bad impact on my application for LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Economistician
I've seen it mentioned a few times so far, and just wish to ask... Do LSE ask to see your AS UMS when you apply?

Yes they do, they ask for individual maths module UMS scores and then overal subject UMS scores. Ie C1 95 C2 100 etc and say for econ itll be 186/200 as an example

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by darkdrifter10
Yes they do, they ask for individual maths module UMS scores and then overal subject UMS scores. Ie C1 95 C2 100 etc and say for econ itll be 186/200 as an example
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks, and they ask everyone?
Reply 78
Original post by Economistician
Ok thanks, and they ask everyone?

Economics and most/all subjects that require Maths.
DarkDrifter is right hey ask for all Maths modules, and then just average of other subjects.
Okay, thanks. Both people who answered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending