The Student Room Group

thinking about dropping out but really unsure! help!

Hi there..
So I am in a bit of a muddle. I firstly did a year of fine art in london, hated it and dropped out. I switched to do a history course at QMUL and I really love the course. I love learning about the past and academically I am doing very well indeed.

However,
I'm really not enjoying living away from home. Im originally from Newcastle and studying in London is hard. I can feel my mental health spiralling out of control a bit and I really miss my friends and family at home.

I can't drop out and restart as I've already used up my extra year of student finance, but I am wondering if i could possibly transfer to newcastle uni into second year considering I have good a levels and grades???

I'm so confused so any help would be appreciated x
Reply 1
The only way to know, is to contact Newcastle's Admissions Office and ask. For folks in your situation, decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

In theory a second year transfer is possible. However, the first year content of both courses needs to be very similar, as subsequent years of teaching are based on principles learned in the first year. Each uni designs their own courses, so there's no way to be certain without asking.
There is no harm in asking Newcastle University if its possible.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by philjo
Hi there..
So I am in a bit of a muddle. I firstly did a year of fine art in london, hated it and dropped out. I switched to do a history course at QMUL and I really love the course. I love learning about the past and academically I am doing very well indeed.

However,
I'm really not enjoying living away from home. Im originally from Newcastle and studying in London is hard. I can feel my mental health spiralling out of control a bit and I really miss my friends and family at home.

I can't drop out and restart as I've already used up my extra year of student finance, but I am wondering if i could possibly transfer to newcastle uni into second year considering I have good a levels and grades???

Hi, sorry to hear you've been going through such a tough time :frown:

Is it our History BA course you are interested in transferring to? I can pass a message on to the history admissions team and ask for their advice, if you'd like. Just let me know :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
Reply 4
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi, sorry to hear you've been going through such a tough time :frown:

Is it our History BA course you are interested in transferring to? I can pass a message on to the history admissions team and ask for their advice, if you'd like. Just let me know :smile:

All the best,

Persephone

Hi!
Thanks for getting back to me. That would be great! I've e mailed your admissions team and I'm awaiting a reply but direct info from the history department would be fantastic.
Original post by philjo
Hi there..

However,

Moving away is never gonna be easy, and it's what I'm most scared about for when I go to uni. But I think it's worthit. It enables you to build independence, make new friends, learn new things etc, and staying near to home may not provide you with that same experience. I'd advise you to keep at it- after all, you won't be doing it for the rest of your life.
Original post by philjo
Hi!
Thanks for getting back to me. That would be great! I've e mailed your admissions team and I'm awaiting a reply but direct info from the history department would be fantastic.

Hi, I've dropped them a line :smile:
The member of staff who deals with admissions for that course is out of the office today so it might be a few days before they get back to me. I'll pass on their response as soon as I hear back :smile:

Persephone
Reply 7
Hi, I've dropped them a line :smile:
The member of staff who deals with admissions for that course is out of the office today so it might be a few days before they get back to me. I'll pass on their response as soon as I hear back :smile:

Persephone

Thanks! I've had a reply from them saying they've passed on my details to admissions :smile:
Original post by philjo
Thanks! I've had a reply from them saying they've passed on my details to admissions :smile:

Hi there, admissions been in touch and have said the following:

A transfer into stage 2 History may be possible. We would need to know your A level results and the modules you're currently studying and any marks attained so far.

We would then check with the selector whether the modules align with our History course and if the answer is positive, then it is feasible that you may receive an offer on achieving an overall mark for your current year. Your A level grades would need to be AAA-AAB including History.

I hope that has helped :smile:

Rachel
Reply 9
Hi there, admissions been in touch and have said the following:

A transfer into stage 2 History may be possible. We would need to know your A level results and the modules you're currently studying and any marks attained so far.

We would then check with the selector whether the modules align with our History course and if the answer is positive, then it is feasible that you may receive an offer on achieving an overall mark for your current year. Your A level grades would need to be AAA-AAB including History.

I hope that has helped :smile:

Rachel

Thanks! They have got back in touch and informed me they will consider my application on my first year results at my current uni
Original post by philjo
Hi there..

However,

You said your mental health is spiralling out of control - Have you got any help for that?
Reply 11
Original post by Paladian
You said your mental health is spiralling out of control - Have you got any help for that?

I'm home at the minute for reading week so I feel a little bit better but I think I'm going to utilise student services when I head back to uni next week
Original post by philjo
I'm home at the minute for reading week so I feel a little bit better but I think I'm going to utilise student services when I head back to uni next week

Knowing what's wrong is half the battle won.
Original post by philjo
Hi there..

However,

Hi there,

This message caught my eye on the home page of TSR and I thought I would share my similar experience. I really feel for you in the position that you are in as it is not a nice place to be!

First of all, I am now in my final year of university and I have struggled the whole time with living away from home. It is kind of an awkward thing to own up to when at uni as so many people seem to be loving life away from their parents. However, I had such a good group of home friends, loved my family and really enjoyed everything at home. It hit me by surprise when I got homesick in my first year of uni, as I had been so independent otherwise.

It got me so down and I spent months moping around, finding it near impossible to fully enjoy myself. I did make lots of friends whilst away, however I have always struggled with going back and forth between home and uni, which is only three hours away! . It almost became somewhere I resented going back to.

I thought about leaving uni a lot, got myself so upset thinking I was nuts for being the only one who hated living away from home, spent half my time planning trips away with home friends. It got to a point where I had meetings about transferring to a uni near home in my second year, however I always felt this sense of guilt and disappointment that I was going to leave a place I had worked so hard to get into. It was such a horrible position to be in and I was driving myself mad thinking about it.

Sooo, I actually took the option of deferring a year at my university (restarting my second year). It took a lot of guts to choose to do it, however I was at a point where I just wasn't my happy self anymore. The course near home really wasn't that appealing when I researched/visited. I just wanted time to actually think about what I wanted!

A year on after spending the time gaining useful work experience and growing up a little, I went back to my university and had a much clearer mindset.
Although I will never love living away from home, it definitely does get better with time and a clear head.

Having a good routine and social life is vital in enjoying yourself. A routine makes the weeks fly by at times when you feel homesick and before you know it you feel more settled.

I hope this is some kind of conciliation, a lot of people go through feelings of anxiety and stress when away from home for the first time. It can be such a horrible, lonely place to be... but taking time to really think about what will make you (no one else!) happy is the most important thing.
Reply 14
Original post by staffg164
Hi there,

This message caught my eye on the home page of TSR and I thought I would share my similar experience. I really feel for you in the position that you are in as it is not a nice place to be!

First of all, I am now in my final year of university and I have struggled the whole time with living away from home. It is kind of an awkward thing to own up to when at uni as so many people seem to be loving life away from their parents. However, I had such a good group of home friends, loved my family and really enjoyed everything at home. It hit me by surprise when I got homesick in my first year of uni, as I had been so independent otherwise.

It got me so down and I spent months moping around, finding it near impossible to fully enjoy myself. I did make lots of friends whilst away, however I have always struggled with going back and forth between home and uni, which is only three hours away! . It almost became somewhere I resented going back to.

I thought about leaving uni a lot, got myself so upset thinking I was nuts for being the only one who hated living away from home, spent half my time planning trips away with home friends. It got to a point where I had meetings about transferring to a uni near home in my second year, however I always felt this sense of guilt and disappointment that I was going to leave a place I had worked so hard to get into. It was such a horrible position to be in and I was driving myself mad thinking about it.

Sooo, I actually took the option of deferring a year at my university (restarting my second year). It took a lot of guts to choose to do it, however I was at a point where I just wasn't my happy self anymore. The course near home really wasn't that appealing when I researched/visited. I just wanted time to actually think about what I wanted!

A year on after spending the time gaining useful work experience and growing up a little, I went back to my university and had a much clearer mindset.
Although I will never love living away from home, it definitely does get better with time and a clear head.

Having a good routine and social life is vital in enjoying yourself. A routine makes the weeks fly by at times when you feel homesick and before you know it you feel more settled.

I hope this is some kind of conciliation, a lot of people go through feelings of anxiety and stress when away from home for the first time. It can be such a horrible, lonely place to be... but taking time to really think about what will make you (no one else!) happy is the most important thing.

I feel exactly the same as you right now! Im in first year of uni but I just cant enjoy myself and I feel like I should be- it really sucks.

I was wondering if you could just expand on your year out? Its something I desperately want to do but theres so much to consider-
-I already have a house planned for next year
-My parents
-It would be really quite difficult to leave this new life Ive made for myself and go home
-I have a job I love
and so much more!
any advice would be so helpful! PM me if you would like

thanks!
Original post by thilly6
I feel exactly the same as you right now! Im in first year of uni but I just cant enjoy myself and I feel like I should be- it really sucks.

I was wondering if you could just expand on your year out? Its something I desperately want to do but theres so much to consider-
-I already have a house planned for next year
-My parents
-It would be really quite difficult to leave this new life Ive made for myself and go home
-I have a job I love
and so much more!
any advice would be so helpful! PM me if you would like

thanks!

Well if I am completely honest, another strong reason for choosing to have a year out was that one of my parents was ill. So although I had been considering it for a while, that news made my desire to be at home even more real.

- My parents could see how difficult I was finding it and just wanted me to be happy in all honesty. Although we definitely had some heated discussions.

- I also had signed a contract for a house. It is such an annoying situation to be in. The choices were to either 1) find someone else to fill your room so your landlord is happy. Although I know this is really hard as no one wants a random person joining a house of friends.
2) You have to pay for the whole year. This unfortunately is what I had to do, it makes me angry to think of it now... but my parents had to pay my landlord whilst I took my year out as I left mid way through term. Thankfully my parents were very understanding about it. However I know it was a big ask and a huge waste of money. It was something that also made the decision really hard.
Unfortunately, just deciding not to pay is not an option when you are contracted in and have a horrendous student landlord.

- As for leaving my uni life, that was also hard. However I did maintain a good relationship with my friends whilst I was away, I would still visit for nights out and we were all part of a huge whatsapp group. So I still always felt like I was involved and knew what was going on. Luckily, two of those friends took placement years so I have been able to join them for their fourth year and we now live together.

- I got myself a job when I came back to restart my second year and it did really help with having a routine. So I understand that must be hard to give up if you enjoy it, unless you can transfer to something similar near home or maybe come to an arrangement where they will have you back the following year (if you decide to postpone).

It is really stressful working out what is best, but personally I was too unhappy to achieve the best I could whilst at uni. My deferred year allowed me to see the positives of being back at uni and the 'bigger' picture. I do not regret it one bit though, as I gained good work experience and it gave me a drive to complete my degree and get back to earning money haha.

Hope some of this helps
Reply 16
Original post by staffg164
Hi there,

Hello, I am feeling the exact same way you did (I'm in first year) and I found your post really helpful in my decision for what to do next year, may I ask how this effected your student finance?
Fingers crossed for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruth1996
Hello, I am feeling the exact same way you did (I'm in first year) and I found your post really helpful in my decision for what to do next year, may I ask how this effected your student finance?

Hi there,

well luckily as I started my course in 2011 the fees had not yet changed to the higher rate. A 'deferred' year does not class as leaving university, so you will still be charged the exact same as when you signed on to your course. That has been the case for me anyway, but I would make sure to double check with your own student finance before making any decision.

I was charged for the first term of my initial second year (I left before christmas of my second year) which was a third of the yearly cost.

I hope this is of some help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending