The Student Room Group

Lithuanian decline and opportunity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31488046

So Lithuania is facing the loss of vast numbers of young people. Surely this presents an awesome opportunity for young people here. We have too many young competing for the same jobs they have too few. It appears to literally be the land of opportunity.

Am I off the mark here? I mean I am assuming that young Brits are willing to learn a foreign language. This is not realistic
Reply 1
Original post by phaedron
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31488046

So Lithuania is facing the loss of vast numbers of young people. Surely this presents an awesome opportunity for young people here. We have too many young competing for the same jobs they have too few. It appears to literally be the land of opportunity.

Am I off the mark here? I mean I am assuming that young Brits are willing to learn a foreign language. This is not realistic

They come here for the higher wages and better services, it rarely works the other way.
Reply 2
Original post by Rakas21
They come here for the higher wages and better services, it rarely works the other way.

I constantly hear people complaining about immigration and it pisses me off because these people are on the whole willfully and pridefully ignorant of other cultures and it never occurs to them that they could migrate to Eastern Europe or America and seek opportunities there.
Reply 3
Original post by phaedron
I constantly hear people complaining about immigration and it pisses me off because these people are on the whole willfully and pridefully ignorant of other cultures and it never occurs to them that they could migrate to Eastern Europe or America and seek opportunities there.

Its actually quite hard to emigrate to North America however I broadly agree with you. Unfortunately, a large swathe of Europe has appreciably lower wages.
If Lithuania was a 'land of opportunity' then people would already be moving there.

Eastern Europeans move to the UK because compared to home wages are substantially higher. A Brit moving to Lithuania as an example might be able to settle in there but when they want to come home they're measurably poorer and are in an even weaker position to try and get into the housing market (though at this rate the whole system will implode, but that's another topic for another thread).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending