The Student Room Group

Have you ever felt like Britain is dull and oppressive?

Be honest. I've never lived abroad, but I'm curious about people who've lived abroad or originally grew up there, Ireland, Australia, America, the continent, wherever. How would you contrast it and what is your view of the UK?

Scroll to see replies

the UK is a nice place to live but the weather can get really annoying
Oppressive? Do you have any idea about Australia's video game laws? Bishes ban everything...
I lived in South Africa for a short while and that was fun while it lasted but not something I could do everyday. Now if you want an oppressive country, look no further.

The UK is a much nicer and much safer place to live. I much prefer the UK.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Be honest. I've never lived abroad, but I'm curious about people who've lived abroad or originally grew up there, Ireland, Australia, America, the continent, wherever. How would you contrast it and what is your view of the UK?

I'd much rather be here than in the Yemen - the latter is somehow slightly more oppressive I would think...
The weather in the UK s**ks. There are many interesting places to go to in the UK. I don't think France or Germany are any more interesting countries. Their cities look old-fashioned.
Must be the weather.
Original post by Raymat
The weather in the UK s**ks. There are many interesting places to go to in the UK. I don't think France or Germany are any more interesting countries. Their cities look old-fashioned.

I have to admit that I quite like the cloudy and rainy weather:tongue:
Original post by Cadherin
I have to admit that I quite like the cloudy and rainy weather:tongue:

yeah the weather is okay sometimes gives me an excuse to go on Netflix:rolleyes:
Original post by Raymat

France has nicer cities, towns and villages than the UK has. Just look on google Earth to see that for yourself. The UK is a horrible mix of dull and oppressive Gothic architecture which fits in well with the tracksuit wearing chavs who roam around cities that look a bit like Joseph's Technicolor Dream coat in that there is this awful slurry of all different kids of architecture.
Yes!! i have always wanted to travel the world
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Oppressive? Do you have any idea about Australia's video game laws? Bishes ban everything...

Lol, as if video game laws are more important than food, culture, crime-rate, healthcare, education, and virtually everything else.
Why just Britain? Why not planet earth tbpfh :colonhash:
Original post by Raymat

I haven't been to France but to Germany I can't agree more...But the place I am living in is just a small town, Heidelberg, a city renowned as the most beautiful city in Germany. But to be honest when I got here, I was super disappointed thinking I would probably go nuts if I had to go on living here.
Maybe it's also something to do from where I grew up. I was raised in Shanghai and studied in Tokyo. Now I definitely realized the differences between big cities and small towns..But not sure if it's also the same case for towns in the UK.
I've been all over Europe and the UK is one of the worst places IMO. Its liberating in many senses but not in any ways that directly impact on my life on a day to day basis. The way some people bang on about Europe you'd still think it was the stone age and Britain is some sacred entity. A lot of Europe is better than the UK in many ways. Time to face facts. Britain is no longer great, hardly an innovator in many areas and is slipping behind. The worst thing is though, the very politicians who are happy to let it happen seem to be getting away with it because the people here, unlike elsewhere in Europe, seem to think they live in a truly democratic state. Its bewildering.
I don't think Britain is perfect by any means but after visiting multiple countries I've realised I'm simply used to it here and enjoy the freedom I definitely wouldn't have in other countries, even other European countries. Although if I had to live elsewhere it'd probably be Switzerland, the Netherlands or Holland :smile:
Reply 17
How is Britain oppressive? +1 for decent explanation.
Original post by Tom78
How is Britain oppressive? +1 for decent explanation.

Lmao says the person who gets told how to sort his rubbish by the government :rofl:
Reply 19
Original post by Baby Milo
Lmao says the person who gets told how to sort his rubbish by the government :rofl:

No the Birmingham city council seem to want to ignore ecology and bury everything in landfill :frown:.

But... I can wander into the town centre say I don't like this or that and not be in fear of being ****ing beheaded like in a large number of countries.

Quick Reply

Latest