The Student Room Group

Dog causing depression

Outline:
Got new dog 6months puppy rescue therefore slightly mental
I'm on my gap year so I have to spend all my day with it or thinking about it
I was already lonely but now I feel trapped in the house.
Wake in night several times.
Having aggressive and violent thoughts and impulses
Having panic attacks
Having headaches

Basically this dog is killing me and when I previously expressed my thoughts to my parents they instantly told me I was being insane.
what do I do
If the dog is too much of a burden, perhaps sell it to someone you know and trust? (sounds horrible I know, but at least you'll know that you're giving the dog who could provide it with the same amount of love that you're giving it).
You said that you feel lonely and trapped in the house, have you considered signing up for obedience classes with the dog? That way you can meet people/get out of the house plus a better behaved dog might be less stressful in the house in terms of waking you up at night/pooping on the floor etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
You said that you feel lonely and trapped in the house, have you considered signing up for obedience classes with the dog? That way you can meet people/get out of the house plus a better behaved dog might be less stressful in the house in terms of waking you up at night/pooping on the floor etc.

It's not so much getting out the house it's more the movement around the house and what I can no longer do because of the dog. Before this I was dealing with my loneliness by doing gardening, diy around the house and volunteering all of which I can no longer do. I understand that with time the dog will need less attention but I was only just holding on to myself before this and thought that having a companion would be good but it's been quite the opposite. I mean I do even less exercise and going out the house.
I would also like to point out that I love him he's a lovely little dog but the effort I'm putting is way to stressful.
Original post by Anonymous
It's not so much getting out the house it's more the movement around the house and what I can no longer do because of the dog. Before this I was dealing with my loneliness by doing gardening, diy around the house and volunteering all of which I can no longer do. I understand that with time the dog will need less attention but I was only just holding on to myself before this and thought that having a companion would be good but it's been quite the opposite. I mean I do even less exercise and going out the house.
I would also like to point out that I love him he's a lovely little dog but the effort I'm putting is way to stressful.

Oh ok, I see. Dogs are a lot of work, I wanted company so got a cat and yeah they are a hell of a lot less work. :tongue: You're right that he will need less attention as time goes on but with a dog they would still need a fair bit of work. Do you have anyone who could look after him occasionally so you could volunteer/go to the gym/whatever - perhaps a grandparent who might appreciate the company?
I genuinely dislike people like you. Grow up and look after the dog. Want to do DIY, put the dog in another room for an hour. Want to garden, put the dog out side with you and secure it other he/she will instinctively mess it up.

You wanted the dog, you should have realised you have to be prepared to give them your time and attention.

If anything sounds like your bored not depressed, take your dog out on more walks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Golland19
I genuinely dislike people like you. Grow up and look after the dog. Want to do DIY, put the dog in another room for an hour. Want to garden, put the dog out side with you and secure it other he/she will instinctively mess it up.

You wanted the dog, you should have realised you have to be prepared to give them your time and attention.

If anything sounds like your bored not depressed, take your dog out on more walks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has a mental illness. It isn't about growing up. Maybe educate yourself on depression and anxiety and then come back.

Quick Reply

Latest