The Student Room Group

Anybody else feeling thick, hopeless and considering dropping out of Sixth Form?

Heyy, basically to make a long story short:

I'm currently in year 12, throughout year 10 and year 11 a specific teacher continually pushed me and motivated me to apply to Oxbridge. He was convinced that I was intelligent enough and definitely able.

However, after receiving disappointing GCSE's (compared to what I was predicted) of 4 A*'s, 4 A's and 2 B's, my school have entirely abandoned any hope of me even applying and now refuse to help me whatsoever with my application. My school is extremely high flying, with 6 people in my year getting 13 A*'s - 4 of them being my closest friends, and so a form class has been made of all the people who received 7 a* and above who receive interview prep and loads of help, whilst everyone else is entirely ignored.

It sounds stupid, but I feel rejected and thick, I should have worked far harder for my GCSE's than I did. Now at AS level I'm on track to achieve 4 A's, but I've been feeling extremely unmotivated lately. I go back to school on Monday and have yet to start any of the extreme amount of work that I have, and now I just found out that I have been rejected from the Oxford Pathways study days and I'm even more demoralised.

Is there still a realistic chance of me even getting an interview if I applied to Cambridge? Or should I just stop entertaining all hopes of it?
Thankyou.
Why do you want to go to Oxbridge only so badly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need any help from your school. Your academic profile would likely to be sufficient to be interviewed at Cambridge, yes.
I received similar grades (4 A*, 4 A*, 1B and 1C) and my school have been very supportive of me seeking to apply for Oxford! There were a few people in my year who got 11 A*+ (three, I believe, of whom only one wants to apply for Oxbridge - Cambridge for German & French). I also got rejected from the Oxford Pathways today, so we have that in common too!

Our Oxbridge programme has a benchmark of 5 A*, but the teacher made an exception for me. I'm sorry your school haven't been supportive. What I would recommend is that you look into any of the academic competitions - I'm personally looking to enter two history essay competitions - as well as getting involved in extra-curricular activities that are relevant to your subject (I'm volunteering at my local National Trust property, for example). Perhaps if you talk to the teachers some more they could be a bit more accommodating.

Depending on your subject, you can be almost guaranteed to get an interview at Cambridge if you get your A's, get predicted the right grades, and have a decent personal statement, in my experience. It does really depend on your subject though, which would it be if you don't mind me asking?

(I've also heard Cambridge care a lot less about GCSE grades than Oxford, for what it's worth, I don't know if that's just hearsay though).
Original post by hi-zen-berg
Why do you want to go to Oxbridge only so badly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have attended both the Oxford and Cambridge open days and spoken to the professors of my subject at both, I really feel like I would enjoy the intense tutorials and academic atmosphere of the places. Also, I want to read English Literature and so knowing that it has difficult graduate prospects and no direct employment afterwards leads me to think that my highest chance of attaining a good job with an English degree would be from attending Oxford or Cambridge, as they are ranked most highly.
GCSEs do not truly reflect your ability to go to university. I got average grades and now I'm on track for a AAAA in my A2. My friend meanwhile who got 13 A/A*s only got BCCD at AS level last year. It's a VERY different ball game, so don't get bogged down by GCSE performance. It's like using your SAT grades to work out if you're good for A Level study.

Likewise, university isn't just Oxbridge, and as great as they both are, there's a lot of other unis that are superior in certain departments. These unis tend to consider your current work ethic rather than your past performance, making it more realistic to get in.

You don't need to drop out, you just need to set yourself a personal target, rather than having it dictated to you. Figure out what subject you want to study, set a realistic target (B's in all subjects is a safe target) and work your way upwards.

PS. You will notice a lot of these high achievers in your year won't get their predicted AS grades. They tend to be over-exaggerated and unrealistic targets.
Original post by antisansculotte
I received similar grades (4 A*, 4 A*, 1B and 1C) and my school have been very supportive of me seeking to apply for Oxford! There were a few people in my year who got 11 A*+ (three, I believe, of whom only one wants to apply for Oxbridge - Cambridge for German & French). I also got rejected from the Oxford Pathways today, so we have that in common too!

Our Oxbridge programme has a benchmark of 5 A*, but the teacher made an exception for me. I'm sorry your school haven't been supportive. What I would recommend is that you look into any of the academic competitions - I'm personally looking to enter two history essay competitions - as well as getting involved in extra-curricular activities that are relevant to your subject (I'm volunteering at my local National Trust property, for example). Perhaps if you talk to the teachers some more they could be a bit more accommodating.

Depending on your subject, you can be almost guaranteed to get an interview at Cambridge if you get your A's, get predicted the right grades, and have a decent personal statement, in my experience. It does really depend on your subject though, which would it be if you don't mind me asking?

(I've also heard Cambridge care a lot less about GCSE grades than Oxford, for what it's worth, I don't know if that's just hearsay though).

Thank you so much for this, it has been unbelievably reassuring! I also intend to enter two essay competitions for English, which is what I want to do at Uni, and have work experience at a local newspaper office and will be entering numerous poetry competitions. For the Oxford Pathways study days, do you know if everybody who has been rejected is automatically placed on the waiting list? I wasn't sure. But again, thank you so much for this :smile: Good luck with applying!
Original post by Iggy Azalea
GCSEs do not truly reflect your ability to go to university. I got average grades and now I'm on track for a AAAA in my A2. My friend meanwhile who got 13 A/A*s only got BCCD at AS level last year. It's a VERY different ball game, so don't get bogged down by GCSE performance. It's like using your SAT grades to work out if you're good for A Level study.

Likewise, university isn't just Oxbridge, and as great as they both are, there's a lot of other unis that are superior in certain departments. These unis tend to consider your current work ethic rather than your past performance, making it more realistic to get in.

You don't need to drop out, you just need to set yourself a personal target, rather than having it dictated to you. Figure out what subject you want to study, set a realistic target (B's in all subjects is a safe target) and work your way upwards.

PS. You will notice a lot of these high achievers in your year won't get their predicted AS grades. They tend to be over-exaggerated and unrealistic targets.

Thank you for this, I probably just need a massive reality check :smile:
Original post by simbasdragon
Thank you so much for this, it has been unbelievably reassuring! I also intend to enter two essay competitions for English, which is what I want to do at Uni, and have work experience at a local newspaper office and will be entering numerous poetry competitions. For the Oxford Pathways study days, do you know if everybody who has been rejected is automatically placed on the waiting list? I wasn't sure. But again, thank you so much for this :smile: Good luck with applying!

I was put on a waiting list, so it might be everyone. The Pathways application was literally just grades - no personal statement, no interview. There will be plenty of people applying to Oxbridge with 13 A*'s who will break down in tears or come across as mind-numbingly arrogant in the interview, or who will do no extra reading all year and so won't get in, which obviously cannot be reflected on the smaller application form!
I was put on a waiting list, so it might be everyone. The Pathways application was literally just grades - no personal statement, no interview. There will be plenty of people applying to Oxbridge with 13 A*'s who will break down in tears or come across as mind-numbingly arrogant in the interview, or who will do no extra reading all year and so won't get in, which obviously cannot be reflected on the smaller application form!

Sounds ridiculous, but I hadn't seen it through that perspective and you're so right. I suppose its just the initial disappointment of it combined with my stress at having done no work this entire half term, but I'm feeling much calmer now thanks. :smile:Out of interest, have you applied to any summer schools?
Reply 10
Work to prove them wrong! A few of my friends whom got an offer to Oxbridge didn't even have no A* at GCSE (except for one who managed to get 11 -.-) but they proved themselves worthy through their AS results and the stuff they do outside sixth form.
Sounds ridiculous, but I hadn't seen it through that perspective and you're so right. I suppose its just the initial disappointment of it combined with my stress at having done no work this entire half term, but I'm feeling much calmer now thanks. :smile:Out of interest, have you applied to any summer schools?

I applied to the UNIQ summer school for history for Oxford, but I don't have my hopes up - people on here seemed to spend weeks on their personal statements, so I don't think mine was good enough!
Original post by kkboyk
Work to prove them wrong! A few of my friends whom got an offer to Oxbridge didn't even have no A* at GCSE (except for one who managed to get 11 -.-) but they proved themselves worthy through their AS results and the stuff they do outside sixth form.

Do you know what their results were at AS level? Thanks :smile:
I applied to the UNIQ summer school for history for Oxford, but I don't have my hopes up - people on here seemed to spend weeks on their personal statements, so I don't think mine was good enough!

Haha that's so weird, I also applied to that for English but again I highly doubt I'll get a place. I just spent ages trying to cut parts out to get it down to the word count! What sort of thing did you speak about in it?
Reply 14
Do you know what their results were at AS level? Thanks :smile:

Out of 5 of them, they all got As, but 3 of them managed to get above 90% in two subjects and the others about 86-90%. Makes me kind of proud to be their friend :3

Quick Reply

Latest