The Student Room Group

Female TSRians - is long hair on a potential partner a dealbreaker?

Hi everyone,

Basically my friend suggested I cut my hair since it will look 'better' but I've been insisting that I enjoy a different look and I feel I wear it well.

Girls, is long hair on a guy (longer than shoulder length, but only as low as the guys chest - think Willy Cartier) a no-no for you, even if it's well kept?

I'm not asking if you'd prefer X guy with short hair over his previous long hair style, but I'm just asking ultimately whether or not long hair would alter your opinion on dating him.

Fire away with honesty.

Scroll to see replies

Tbh I can't imagine being with someone who has long hair. I think if it's just above the shoulders it's okay but other than that it's a deal breaker
Original post by Expired Potato
Hi everyone,

Basically my friend suggested I cut my hair since it will look 'better' but I've been insisting that I enjoy a different look and I feel I wear it well.

Girls, is long hair on a guy (longer than shoulder length, but only as low as the guys chest - think Willy Cartier) a no-no for you, even if it's well kept?

I'm not asking if you'd prefer X guy with short hair over his previous long hair style, but I'm just asking ultimately whether or not long hair would alter your opinion on dating him.

Fire away with honesty.
P

Personally, I LOVE guys with long hair. :colondollar:
Reply 3
It depends on their face really, long hair may actually suit their face shape etc. but I can't imagine myself with a guy who has long hair.
Original post by queen-bee
Tbh I can't imagine being with someone who has long hair. I think if it's just above the shoulders it's okay but other than that it's a deal breaker

Mmm, I respect that opinion.

Is it just the fact you can't see yourself with a guy with long hair, or is there a bigger reason? i.e. representation of long hair on guys is greasy and usually homeless-looking. :eek:
wood not berry
Mmm, I respect that opinion.

Is it just the fact you can't see yourself with a guy with long hair, or is there a bigger reason? i.e. representation of long hair on guys is greasy and usually homeless-looking. :eek:

I just can't see myself with one to be fair. I have always preferred shorter hair on men
Original post by kukulaka
P

Personally, I LOVE guys with long hair. :colondollar:

Firstly for me, and secondly I do it for YOU GUYS, who appreciate the hair-thing :h:

Original post by Kangie
It depends on their face really, long hair may actually suit their face shape etc. but I can't imagine myself with a guy who has long hair.

So that means you think it can suit guys...!

... but you wouldn't personally date a guy with long hair...?

... or you just really can't imagine how you and said guy would look together?
Reply 8
Firstly for me, and secondly I do it for YOU GUYS, who appreciate the hair-thing :h:

So that means you think it can suit guys...!

... but you wouldn't personally date a guy with long hair...?

... or you just really can't imagine how you and said guy would look together?

If I liked his personality enough then I would date him, because you can't really help who you like but I can't imagine it right now :^_^:
Original post by queen-bee
I just can't see myself with one to be fair. I have always preferred shorter hair on men

Yeah I can understand that. Most people nowadays associate masculinity with short hair on guys - and the fact that most guys have short hair helps people make that link.
It wouldn't be a problem, if it suited them. I think people should have whatever haircut they think looks best on them, whether it's very long hair on guys or very short hair on girls, or whatever. If you think you look good with long hair, keep it. There are plenty of girls who think long hair looks great. And if you decide to cut it short, no biggie, hair grows back. Maybe you should cut it, and if you don't like it, just grow it back out again?
Reply 11
I don;t have an answer, but from a guys point of view, I think older guys can pull of long hair and younger guys don't look as good with it.

Guys with those silly knots on their heads look like idiots.

I can't let my hair touch my ears as it makes me feel sick, I think the army has psychologically harmed me!
Reply 12
I don't know man. Some guys can pull it off. I dig long hair on mixed dudes for some reason :dontknow:
My husband has long hair. Mid-back length.

He once (back in 2008) had it cut really short and his beard cut off, and our kids were hysterical and wouldn't go near him - they were petrified of this "stranger"!

So he grew it all back again.
if it suits them, i'd absolutely loooooooooove it
if it didn't, idk, if we had a connection who cares
Original post by Kangie
If I liked his personality enough then I would date him, because you can't really help who you like but I can't imagine it right now :^_^:

Does that mean that his personality has to be exceptionally better than a similar looking guy with short hair to be eligible for Kangie? :ahee:

Original post by KimonoMyHouse
x

Mmmm, I want to cut it but I really like it how it is at the moment. I think I'll just end up trimming it a couple inches, maintaining it around the same length, keeping it healthy.

I like your attitude.

Original post by Sam1415
x

Really? I think the opposite, since I feel long hair on older guys can usually look a bit peeeeeeedo, but long hair on younger guys can end up looking fashionable more often than not. Or basement-dwelling gamer, but thats better than peeeeeeedo.

I agree, some of those topknots remind me of Agnes from Despicable Me, which, of course, when practised in real-life looks completely ridiculous.

You keep on trooping! One of my friends is in the Paras atm, not sure if he is actually a Para or still training to be, but if he's not he's nearly there!
Reply 16
Does that mean that his personality has to be exceptionally better than a similar looking guy with short hair to be eligible for Kangie? :ahee:

Well no, his personality can be the same as someone who looked similar with short hair and I would like him. I actually liked someone a couple years ago who had longish hair (shoulder length) because he had a nice personality so I overlooked that fact.
Original post by Tai Ga
I don't know man. Some guys can pull it off. I dig long hair on mixed dudes for some reason :dontknow:

Are you referring to the Afrojack fro? :h:

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My husband has long hair. Mid-back length.

He once (back in 2008) had it cut really short and his beard cut off, and our kids were hysterical and wouldn't go near him - they were petrified of this "stranger"!

So he grew it all back again.

Aww, my little half-siblings are different, they seem to think it's weird I have long hair - perhaps because my dad makes a big deal out of it in a playful way:

"Who's that person with the long hair, Gabby? It looks like a girls hair!" :colonhash:

Love my dad to bits though, but I'm seeing his words have a huge weight on my half-brother.
Original post by faggstagram
if it suits them, i'd absolutely loooooooooove it
if it didn't, idk, if we had a connection who cares

If it didn't, but you still had the connection would you try to get him to cut it?
I personally LOVE long hair on guys (when it suits them and is well maintained) - quite a few of my friends do too. I didn't realise it was seen as negatively as it is in this thread:erm:
Original post by TheDaylighter
I personally LOVE long hair on guys (when it suits them and is well maintained) - quite a few of my friends do too. I didn't realise it was seen as negatively as it is in this thread:erm:

Take me in your squad of long hair :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending