The Student Room Group

MSc CS & IS- Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham, Bath

Hello there, I am an international student(from INDIA) looking to pursue my master's in UK. I had applied to a few universities and have admits from them. Needed help in deciding which one would be the best for me.

1) MSc Advanced Computer Science & IT management, The University of Manchester

2) MSc Advanced Computer Science, University of Bristol

3) MSc Computer Science, University of Edinburgh

4) MSc Internet Systems & eBusiness, Durham University

5) MSc Innovation & Technology Management, University of Bath

I am an IT undergraduate & looking to move towards the management side but at the same time not leave the technical side. Which of the above is better for me? The courses at Durham & Bath are a little different but are to my liking.

I am considering the following factors-
1) Job prospects after the course for international students, also the availability of part time jobs.
2) University Reputation(UK & International),
3) Teaching at the uni,
4) Life at the university & city for the course duration

Thank you.
Someone Please help me.
Hi krishna,
I too am an indian candidate. I applied for MSc IT and Msc information systems.
I'd suggest checking the school ranking of the unis you've applied to and pick the best from them. Also courses should have accreditation for your intake year.
Original post by confusee123
Hi krishna,
I too am an indian candidate. I applied for MSc IT and Msc information systems.
I'd suggest checking the school ranking of the unis you've applied to and pick the best from them. Also courses should have accreditation for your intake year.

The rankings, they are the source of confusion. According to International rankings like Shanghai rankings, QS, Times higher education rankings, "University of Manchester", "University of Edinburgh", are better. But according to UK specific rankings "Durham", "Bath", "Bristol" are better.
Anyways, which universities have you applied to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Edinburgh is the best out of those unis for computer science without a doubt. Their Informatics School is a top 3 in the UK and has collaborations with Stanford. They are associated with 2 turing awards as well. Edinburgh was ranked 1st in the UK's RAE 2001, 2008 and the REF in 2014. QS put Edinburgh 2nd in the UK and 12th in the World for CS in 2014.

Within Comp Sci Edinburgh has special strengths in some areas and not others so you really have to look deeply.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
> Edinburgh is the best out of those unis for computer science without a doubt.

I think Manchester and Bristol would give Edinburgh a run for its money.
If Edinburgh is associated with Turing award winners (I can only recall Robin Milner, who else?) then Manchester is associated with Turing himself!

Original post by jsinger
> Edinburgh is the best out of those unis for computer science without a doubt.

I think Manchester and Bristol would give Edinburgh a run for its money.
If Edinburgh is associated with Turing award winners (I can only recall Robin Milner, who else?) then Manchester is associated with Turing himself!

On a funnier note, Manchester is also associated with Benedict Cumberbatch who played Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game" :p:p

On a serious note, which of the universities has better job prospects?
Only on basis of Job perspective
Manchester > Edinburgh > Durham > Bristol > Bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending