The Student Room Group

CDT vs. PhD

Hello,

I'm looking at applying for postgraduate research opportunities straight after completing my BSc.

What could I expect from each?
How are each of these viewed from an employers point of view?

Merci!
Hi,

I'm unsure of what your question means!

First off, getting postgrad research opportunities and funding for them is rare straight after BSc. You tend to need a masters degree but it varies from field to field. I went straight from BSc to PhD and I'm a biologist.

If you're going into research I don't think employers care if you went straight from BSc to a postgrad research degree or not. They just care about whether or not you've gained your postgrad research qualification. If you plan to work in a non-research it'll depend on what the requirements of the job are. Some employers will not care about your research qualification but will require you to have some other qualification, for example.
Reply 2
If I am not mistaken, the question is about the difference between a CDT and a normal PhD. As alleycat points out, in most fields it is not very common to go from a BSc straight into a PhD. Therefore, your odds may be better for a CDT that has an integrated masters, a first year taught component. My understanding is that CDTs are structured in a way that is slightly more similar to American PhDs (though they are by far not as long!). You start with a year of taught courses, do some rotations and then pick a project and supervisor to start your research in the second year. For PhDs, it is more common to contact a supervisor and prepare a project before you even apply. You will then have no formal taught requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by Zefiros
IYou start with a year of taught courses, do some rotations and then pick a project and supervisor to start your research in the second year.

This depends on the structure of the CDT. In many you pick a supervisor+project before you start
Reply 4
In my final year of undergrad I applied for both CDTs and PhDs. Because most CDTs are 4 years and may include a masters component there's generally less competition from people who already have masters. Whereas if you apply for 3 year PhD projects you'll find yourself having to outcompete people who already have post grad degrees for the place. I'm not saying that's impossible, I got offered a few places where I had met other interviewees and they told me they already had masters at distinction etc. it all comes down how good you are in interview I think.

I ended up choosing a 4 year doctoral training partnership because I felt like it would be a better experience for me, getting to try some different labs before just launching into a project the way you do with a 3 year PhD. There are no taught components in mine though which is a bonus, that just depends on what field you're in I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This might seem stupid, but do you have to be a postgraduate to start studying for a PhD?
Im applying for Uni next year in Mathematics so what courses would I have to take in order for me to finish with A PhD in maths? thanks
Reply 6
Original post by LSD
In my final year of undergrad I applied for both CDTs and PhDs. Because most CDTs are 4 years and may include a masters component there's generally less competition from people who already have masters. Whereas if you apply for 3 year PhD projects you'll find yourself having to outcompete people who already have post grad degrees for the place. I'm not saying that's impossible, I got offered a few places where I had met other interviewees and they told me they already had masters at distinction etc. it all comes down how good you are in interview I think.

I ended up choosing a 4 year doctoral training partnership because I felt like it would be a better experience for me, getting to try some different labs before just launching into a project the way you do with a 3 year PhD. There are no taught components in mine though which is a bonus, that just depends on what field you're in I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I have offers for PhD without a masters so that isn't an issue for me. I was looking for the opnion of someone who had already experienced my current situation.
Reply 7
Original post by AndrewRichardson
This might seem stupid, but do you have to be a postgraduate to start studying for a PhD?
Im applying for Uni next year in Mathematics so what courses would I have to take in order for me to finish with A PhD in maths? thanks

I'm assuming you are applying as a n undergrad? You'll need to complete that and potentially a masters (I'm not studying maths, so it's a little different) before applying for a PhD. If your applying for undergrad and are serious about getting a PhD I'd maybe suggest having a look at intergrated masters courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending