The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Murray Edwards College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Any applicants to New Hall College? :p: I was an open applicant and was allocated there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
See your Private Messages. :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Ok, thanks! :p:
Reply 3
Hey I'm at New Hall now (1st year philosophy) if you have any questions feel free to ask :biggrin:
Reply 4
Miss Brand
Any applicants to New Hall College? :p: I was an open applicant and was allocated there.

Hello! :smile: I'm applying to New Hall for Law. What course are you applying for?
Reply 5
glaucon
Hey I'm at New Hall now (1st year philosophy) if you have any questions feel free to ask :biggrin:

Aw that's really nice thanks!
Are the interviews dead scary then?!
Reply 6
puregoo
Hello! :smile: I'm applying to New Hall for Law. What course are you applying for?

Hey!
I applied for MML at Cambridge but Law at Edinburgh and Glasgow.
When's your interview?
Reply 7
I haven't been informed about interviews yet. Have they told you when yours would be?
Reply 8
My interview was a bit scary. It helps if you know you've done a bit of reading, looked through some of the types of questions they might ask and things: it gives you that bit of confidence you need. All the people here are very nice, and you'll meet the other interviewees who are going through the same as you.

Just remember that if you walk out thinking "oh ****" your thinking the same as everyone else. NO ONE has a perfect interview.

I also knew when I did mine, what I could do if I didn't get in, so it wasn't as much pressure as some people had. There are some sites on the internet which are really useful because they'll tell you what it was like for other people, then you have more of an idea what to expect.
Reply 9
Hey, I still haven't heard from New Hall about interview dates and such. The last contact I had with them was the SAQ. The interview dates they mentioned in the welcome letter were 4-15th dec and I am an international applicant so I need to book my flight soon. Should I contact them to check on the status of my application? Or is it very likely that I've been rejected and Track just has not updated?
Reply 10
I saw your e-mail on the other thread :s-smilie:

I don't know what that means???

Good Luck
Any applicants to New Hall College? I was an open applicant and was allocated there.

Same here! I REALLY didn't want to be allocated to an all girls' college... I mean, imagine never studying with a single guy for 4 years after studying with them for a whole lifetime... Studying with only girls will just mean everybody's too sensible!! But oh well... I still want to go to Cambridge. Maybe people who are already at New Hall can tell us what it's like there...?
Reply 12
It's not like you're 'studying without guys for 3 years' lol, they are in lectures, classes, seminars, supervisions etc. and it's not like you have to spend your whole life in your room at college. I like New Hall, 'sensible' isn't a word I'd use to describe eveyone here.

What's it like? Well, the art work is erm... unushual, the people are friendly and outgoing and the fact that there are no guys living here, doesn't make that much difference to me - I don't know how you'll find it.
If you want male friends then there are the guys in your subject and you can always join a few societies, they're a great way to meet people outside college... and you're allowed to visit other colleges and have people round, so it's really not so bad! This isn't a convent.

Any more questions, feel free to ask...
Reply 13
i finished my interview on the 13th....and i heard people saying that the decision letter will come in January......when did u get yours?
Reply 14
hi!
thought i'd chime in with glaucon :smile: also a 1st year new haller, i'm doing classics. i especially agree with the "this is not a convent" statement! don't worry about it too much!
i don't know when you should get your letter... generally it's the same for all colleges; the first few days of january, but i wouldn't know about NH particularly as i was pooled there.
good luck to you all!!
Reply 15
Being in an all-female college just means you *live* with women. Your education is necessarily mixed. Your social life is only restricted by YOU!
Right next to New Hall (literally) are Fitzwilliam and Churchill colleges...men. Lots of men. You'll be fine! :smile:
New Hall is amazing!

I'm at Selwyn, but I hang out at New Hall all the time. Great food in hall (well Dome) and lovely people.
Reply 17
I'm one of those few people who actually applied to New Hall :P

The acceptance letter date is co-ordinated throughout Cambridge, I don't know what date it is, but you'l get a letter from them in the first few days of January I would think :biggrin:
Reply 18
I was at New Hall for 3 nights in September for a short course and the accommodation was absolutely terrible!

The walls were concrete, literally! Even though the Dome is relatively new it seemed as if it had been there for like 3 million years!

The food was splendid, by the way. :biggrin:
Reply 19
The walls in Old Block are grey brick, but they're fine when covered up with photos/posters - it's like having a blank canvas.

I'm in New Block, where the walls are painted cream, but I'll definitely ask for an Old Block room next year. They have a much more 'studenty' feel; my room's comfortable but too much like hotel accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending