The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Accomodation 2015

As I am sure all of you are aware, from 1st April we are able to apply for accommodation :biggrin:

I've visited the university a couple of times and so I've seen the different accommodation buildings but haven't actually been inside and seen the rooms/kitchen etc.

Personally, I liked the look of Marlborough/Solsbury court and woodland court, as they are en-suite. However, I'm open to accommodation with shared facilities too.

Hoping that any current students could give some information on which accommodation they're in and the experience they've had or thoughts of anyone else who is going to be applying too!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jpm_123
As I am sure all of you are aware, from 1st April we are able to apply for accommodation :biggrin:

I've visited the university a couple of times and so I've seen the different accommodation buildings but haven't actually been inside and seen the rooms/kitchen etc.

Personally, I liked the look of Marlborough/Solsbury court and woodland court, as they are en-suite. However, I'm open to accommodation with shared facilities too.

Hoping that any current students could give some information on which accommodation they're in and the experience they've had or thoughts of anyone else who is going to be applying too!

Hiya, i'm probably going to go for Marlborough/Solsbury court but they seem a very popular choice so failing that the quads or westwood.

I haven't actually been inside any accommodation either so i'm hoping to find out others experiences as i can't seem to find much on here:redface:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by beautyviews
Hiya, i'm probably going to go for Marlborough/Solsbury court but they seem a very popular choice so failing that the quads or westwood.

I haven't actually been inside any accommodation either so i'm hoping to find out others experiences as i can't seem to find much on here:redface:

Yeah I've heard that they are normally the first ones to go. One of my friends applied for accommodation 3 days after it opened last year and they were already full!
Hey guys,

I'm Sam, a current second year student at Bath.

I would definitely recommend applying as soon as the applications opened, I applied two days after the applications opened and my first choices of Solsbury and Marlborough had already received the maximum number of applications. I stayed in Woodland Court and loved it, the rooms are really comfortable and spacious and it's also great because most of the flats have around 10-15 people so you get to meet lots of people straight away and you are rarely on your own or feeling lonely.

The Quads is also the new block of accommodation which is really nice, they have big social spaces and lounges, with some more comfortable seating and televisions, which they share between two flats each, which is really good for when you want to relax.

There is more information available here but there are loads of options available, it's all up to your choices, whether you want campus or city, en-suite or shared bathroom, catered or non-catered.

Don't worry too much if you don't get the accommodation you don't want or anything though, I don't know anyone who didn't love their accommodation and those who had small problems were all easily and quickly resolved by accommodation services. Before coming to uni accommodation seemed like a massive issue but you are only in the accommodation for one year, and you'll be at the uni for at least three years so it really isn't the end of the world if you don't get your first choice!

Feel free to quote me if you have any other questions guys!

Sam
I'm a first year student living in Eastwood, and it's not too shabby. I considered opting for a room with a washbasin for an extra £15 p/w, but I'm quite glad I didn't. Unless you really need one in your room it's not worth it - I've also heard it takes up a fair bit of space in your room as well.

I don't think Eastwood has any en suite places, being the cheapest place on campus (£88 p/w at the moment) but sharing the two toilets and two showers we have between 11 guys isn't so bad. They do need a clean once in a while so just hope that you have fairly organised flatmates.

In our kitchen we have a cupboard to ourselves, though there are enough for some people to take two. We have 3 fridges and 2 freezers - we each have one shelf to put our stuff in the fridge, and we have to share freezer space. I don't know whether this is different for other accommodations, but it's not too much of an issue as long as people shop responsibly and don't buy stuff that they won't use for a few months.

My room is fairly small but it does the job and I don't have any major issues with it (apart from 2-3 daddy long legs sneaking in each night in the winter). The windows don't seem to block out any noise though. A flatmate was helped home by his drunken friends at about 2 a.m. I could've sworn there were about 10-15 people outside, not quite shouting but very close to, when there were only 2 people. When the flats next door watch movies in their kitchen I can hear it quite loudly too, but it hasn't been that much of an issue.

Not much else to say about Eastwood itself, it's a pretty nice place and you aren't likely to run into people with rich parents... yeah. We pay about half of what the most expensive accommodation costs (en suite, catered), so about £3000 to £6000.

Apply for accomodation as soon as possible. You don't want to be left with the city accomodation - I've heard that the buses are a nightmare and it's not something you want to deal with in your first year.

Also, if you can figure out why there are *5* QUADS, then kudos to you.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Original post by University Of Bath
Hey guys,

I would definitely recommend applying as soon as the applications opened, I applied two days after the applications opened and my first choices of Solsbury and Marlborough had already received the maximum number of applications. I stayed in Woodland Court and loved it, the rooms are really comfortable and spacious and it's also great because most of the flats have around 10-15 people so you get to meet lots of people straight away and you are rarely on your own or feeling lonely.

The Quads is also the new block of accommodation which is really nice, they have big social spaces and lounges, with some more comfortable seating and televisions, which they share between two flats each, which is really good for when you want to relax.

There is more information available here but there are loads of options available, it's all up to your choices, whether you want campus or city, en-suite or shared bathroom, catered or non-catered.

Don't worry too much if you don't get the accommodation you don't want or anything though, I don't know anyone who didn't love their accommodation and those who had small problems were all easily and quickly resolved by accommodation services. Before coming to uni accommodation seemed like a massive issue but you are only in the accommodation for one year, and you'll be at the uni for at least three years so it really isn't the end of the world if you don't get your first choice!

Sam

Hi Sam
Do you know if the Quads are part-catered accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itsmonique
Hi Sam
Do you know if the Quads are part-catered accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

I am Claire another student ambassador for the student room.

There are are two different catered accommodations on campus. The catered accommodation is slightly different from other universities where you might have a traditional dining hall etc. As part of your rent you get money loaded onto your library card which can then be spent in the vast majority of eating places on campus. All the catered accommodations do still have kitchens though if you want to prepare some of your own meals.

For Quads accommodation you could say is part catered as currently you get £25 a week on your library card where as for Brendon Court or Polden court which are the other catered accommodations you get £55.

So it all depends what you want and what your budget is, all the accomodation on campus is really good though.

Any other questions please do ask.

Claire
Reply 7
Hey guys,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Do you know how long it takes before your accommodation becomes confirmed having made both 1st and 2nd choices? and do you know when they send the emails giving them the information on how you apply?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Jpm_123
Hi Sam,

Do you know how long it takes before your accommodation becomes confirmed having made both 1st and 2nd choices? and do you know when they send the emails giving them the information on how you apply?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jpm_123,

Once you've received your offer to study at Bath you'll get an e-mail telling you how to apply for accommodation anytime from April. The university cannot then officially allocate you a room until your offer becomes 'unconditional firm', so for the majority of applicants this will be after A Level results in August. If you do not receive the grades to meet your offer (but are still accepted on lower grades) this can delay your accommodation confirmation as those who did achieve the offer grades are given their chosen accommodation first. Either way you can expect to receive confirmation of your accommodation at the end of August or in September. You can find more information here about applying (and have a look at some of the choices available!) and you can also read the allocation policy.

I hope this helps and answers your question! If there's anything else you'd like to know feel free to quote me and I'll get back to you.

Carly
Second year Modern Languages and European Studies student
Original post by kara1702
Hi Sam,

I am really hoping to get into Woodland Court, I've heard this option isn't too oversubscribed, and that if it's your first choice you will probably get it if you apply nice and early, is that true? Also I was wandering if the application form asks if there's anyone you would have a preference of sharing a kitchen/flat with if you know other people applying for the same accommodation? I know a few other unis ask this and I was wandering if Bath ask that?

Thank you!

Kara
(ChemEng)

Hi Kara,

I would always recommend to apply as early as possible. Woodland isn't usually the first to become unavailable but if you leave it more than a couple of days then it may have already become unavailable, so it is always best to apply as early as possible, even if it is just to reduce the risk! The allocation process is quite complicated so it does not mean that you will definitely get it if it is your first choice, but it is more likely.

I don't think there is an option for this within the application form itself. At the time you can contact accommodation services and request this, but they are usually really good for matching you up with similar people anyway. I ended up in a flat with 4 people who lived within half an hour of me that I didn't know at all, and a girl in the flat next door who lives round the corner from me at home and we had some mutual friends, which makes settling in a bit easier. However, don't worry if you aren't in the same flat as a friend you know before you get to uni as everyone is in the same boat in Freshers' Week trying to make new friends.

Feel free to quote me if you have any other questions!

Sam
I can't decide whether to put Marlborough/Solsbury or Woodland Court first. Can any Bath Uni students tell me both of their pros and cons? Thanks!
Reply 11
Hey guys,

Sam

since the accommodation is only for one year i was thinking whether it would be possible to get a shared flat in town with other first years that i can be in throughout mmy stay in bath
Current first year, staying in the Quads. I'll avoid repeating what I've already put in this thread, there's some good info from others there as well.

Original post by dimari7
since the accommodation is only for one year i was thinking whether it would be possible to get a shared flat in town with other first years that i can be in throughout mmy stay in bath

For your first year, I would recommend against opting for private in-town accomodation. First year halls are the best way to get to know new people outside of your course, and there are tonnes of events organized through them as well which you really do not want to miss out on. If nothing else, nothing beats the capability for rolling out of bed five minutes before a lecture and still getting there on time. That's not to say it isn't possible, there are plenty of student flats available in town (though current students are snapping them up about now, so best start looking if your heart is set on it.)

As for catering choices, the half-catering of the Quads works really well for me. I love being able to grab a pizza or a sandwich when I'm too busy/lazy to cook, but still have the flexibility of being able to do so. I'd personally not reccomend the fully catered accommodations, the food around campus is generally really good but I'd probably have found it too restrictive.

Original post by emilyp97
I can't decide whether to put Marlborough/Solsbury or Woodland Court first. Can any Bath Uni students tell me both of their pros and cons? Thanks!

I've only briefly been inside Woodland, but as far as I can tell they're fairly similar, but Woodland is a little bit more expensive, and you get a little more space, a little more modern lodgings and I think a TV? in your room. I suppose it's worth it if you have the budget, but personally I'd take the extra rent money for my pocket.

If you apply for your chosen accommodations on the same day you get the email, you've a good chance of getting your first choice.
Original post by emilyp97

Hi emilyp97,

I'm a second year student at Bath and I lived in Woodland last year!
I loved living there as the accommodation is of a really good quality and the rooms are really spacious. Woodland, Marlborough and Solsbury are very similar and there's not much difference between them at all.
For Woodland, the pros are a double bed, bigger bedrooms and its on the far side of campus so it's less noisy than other halls. With Marlborough and Solsbury, the accommodation is closer to parade than Woodland and it's the closest accommodation to the bus stop. The cons of both really depend on what type of person you are. Flats are shared by more people in Woodland so this suits some people but others may prefer a smaller flat like Marlborough/Solsbury. Also, you get a single bed in M/S instead of a double.

Wherever you stay you'll have a great time in halls, I don't know anyone who regrets their accommodation choice and didn't have fun! If you have any other questions feel free to quote me and I'd be happy to answer them.

Carly
Reply 14
Hi guys, would anybody have an opinion on Osborne house? it appears to be the least modern of all the options but I i'd prefer an en suite that is reasonably cheap as well. If not any otherr opinions on shared bathroom facilities? it seems like a mixed batch right now..
Reply 15
Original post by VJ101
Hi guys, would anybody have an opinion on Osborne house? it appears to be the least modern of all the options but I i'd prefer an en suite that is reasonably cheap as well. If not any otherr opinions on shared bathroom facilities? it seems like a mixed batch right now..

I think Osborne house is mainly for post-grad students? or at least is says that its the designated quiet residence so cant imagine many freshers being there..
Reply 16
Hi, I'm a bit late to this thread!
I stuck between choosing Westwood or Marlborough/Solsbury. Is non-ensuite really that much of a deal? I like to shower every day, but I'd also prefer the extra money by choosing standard.
Can anyone help me out?
Original post by Megan44
Hi, I'm a bit late to this thread!
I stuck between choosing Westwood or Marlborough/Solsbury. Is non-ensuite really that much of a deal? I like to shower every day, but I'd also prefer the extra money by choosing standard.
Can anyone help me out?

Hi Megan,

I'm Sam, a current second year student.

It's completely personal choice, having a shared bathroom would definitely not stop you from showering every day! Some people prefer the luxury of their own bathroom but to be honest sharing a bathroom isn't massively different to sharing a bathroom at home, only you have to share the cleaning duties!

Hope this helps. Feel free to quote me with any other questions.

Sam
I'm currently unsure whether I'm firming Bath and will hopefully have made up my mind after the offer holder's day in late April. I'd say I'm around 70% sure that it'll be my first choice but having not been there before, I'm hesitant to firm it blindly. But I fear that if I don't apply immediately after the applications open, I will end up with accommodation of campus which doesn't appeal to me at all.
I would be looking to stay in a standard room in Eastwood if that changes anything in terms of competitiveness. Can anyone shed some light on my chances of getting my desired accommodation if I apply in late April?
Original post by louisjones
I'm currently unsure whether I'm firming Bath and will hopefully have made up my mind after the offer holder's day in late April. I'd say I'm around 70% sure that it'll be my first choice but having not been there before, I'm hesitant to firm it blindly. But I fear that if I don't apply immediately after the applications open, I will end up with accommodation of campus which doesn't appeal to me at all.
I would be looking to stay in a standard room in Eastwood if that changes anything in terms of competitiveness. Can anyone shed some light on my chances of getting my desired accommodation if I apply in late April?

Hi louisjones,
Unfortunately, I would say that applying in late April will definitely mean missing out on your first choice accommodation. If you apply later, chances are the only accommodation left will be those off campus. I would definitely recommend trying to make your decision for accommodation applications open and apply straight away!

If you need to visit the university to make up your mind you can visit before then. The university has an open campus policy, so you can visit any time you like. There's also a Self-guided campus tour that you can follow to make sure you don't miss anything!

If there's anything you'd like to know about the university, city, etc. to help you make your decision feel free to quote me!

Carly

Quick Reply

Latest