The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the obvious ones such as chemistry and biology spring to mind but remember to do subjects you enjoy aswell...thats the most important

check out the entry requirments for the unis u want to go to!
Reply 2
Geography is great! :biggrin:
As is modern studies.

I would say maths and at least 1 other science is a must since you want to do medicine and probably English would be good to have as well.
Reply 3
gilldo
i really need information on what higher subjects to take? What subjects are terrible and what ones are okay? Really need info as my teachers made me choose the wrong subjects in 3rd year. Plan on doing medicine or physiotherapy. Thanks

Well if you want to do medicine there's going to be tonnes and tonnes of competition, and if you're doing five highers, then the preference for Universities is that you have the three sciences(Physics, Chemistry and Biology), Maths and English.

For physiotherapy they wont be looking for chemistry/physics as much, but Biology, Maths and English would be necessary.
Reply 4
Physiotherapy requires physics as a definite. One of my friends has to crash it this year because thats the course he chose. He already has chemistry and human biology.
Reply 5
what exactly is a crash course
Reply 6
When you take a higher of a subject which you didnt do at SG.
Higher English and Maths definitely.

Chemistry and Biology as well.
Reply 8
Dhesi
When you take a higher of a subject which you didnt do at SG.

Don't let the thought of that scare you. It's perfectly possible to do well in crash courses. I was predicted a C for Accounting & Finance when I did it as a crash course and I walked away very proudly with an A ;smartass;
Reply 9
Yeah it definitely depends on the subject. Im glad Human Biology is the one im crashing because Im really not finding it difficult at all whereas I think to crash physics or chemistry would be a big ask.
Biology is easy to crash if you have done chemistry or physics previously.
Reply 11
yea crashing courses is fine as long as u put in the work- perhaps a bit more independant reading but nothing too much- i crashed Higher Economics and Modern Studies (politics) in one year and am not crashing Advanced Higher philosophy from nothing! and iv got A's so far so as long as u put in the effort u will b fine- dont worry
Reply 12
I crashed Mod Studs and Drama and got As in them both :smile:
Reply 13
gilldo
i really need information on what higher subjects to take? What subjects are terrible and what ones are okay? Really need info as my teachers made me choose the wrong subjects in 3rd year. Plan on doing medicine or physiotherapy. Thanks

last year i really wanted to do medicine and my guidence didn't tell me that most scottish unis ask for chemistry as the most important subject for medicine plus biology and maybe to other sicience subjects. but i'd recommend chemistry, biology, physics, maths and english. it'll be hard work but worht it if you get the grades.:smile:
Reply 14
I tried crashing philosophy, and by god i cant do it!

Although im crashin Business Management and being predicted an A
Reply 15
what is higher modern studies like
Reply 16
With modern studies to me there didnt seem to be much of a jump between SG and Higher, one person is crashing it in my class and they find it quite easy.

Theres nothing from standard grade you need to know for higher and i really wish i'd crashed it and saved myself two years!
Reply 17
gilldo
what is higher modern studies like

I took it last year and loved it. It's very interesting. There is quite a bit on politics but it's not boring, trust me.
Plus it isn't that hard, you just need to learn the essay writing technique.

I would also reccommend geography.
Reply 18
we are starting to choose our subjects this month and next so hopefully we will get the options booklet out soon and i can what subjects are in each column
Reply 19
Mod studies and geography are both good :smile: I found Modern Studies a bit easier I would say of the two.

Latest

Trending

Trending