The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is it socially acceptable for "black" people to say the N word?

Isn't it racist to say "black" people are allowed to say the n word and no one else is allowed to?

It makes no sense to me, either everyone can say it or no one can.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The real question is, why do white people desperately what to say the N word?
Original post by Nameless Knight

The question should be why does ANYONE want to say it?
Reply 3
Because black people don't use it offensively at each other whereas when white and other races say it, it's usually to be offensive
It's a badge of honour sort of thing, white people always used to say it in order to cause offence, so black people use it as well. Similar to spurs fans calling themselves 'yids'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JakeBold
Because black people don't use it offensively at each other whereas when white and other races say it, it's usually to be offensive

So it's one rule of one group and one for the rest?
Original post by MylittlePlusle
The question should be why does ANYONE want to say it?

For a lot of black people, I guess the word is common to use as an alternative to 'mate' whereas when the rest of us use it, its to be racist or offensive
Reply 7
So it's one rule of one group and one for the rest?

Yep. Well that's kinda how the unspoken laws of human language and communication work. Same reason why it's not socially acceptable to address your teacher/mother in the same way your friends (by her first name or..). Because your relationship with your mother and your relationship with that word is inappropriate.

If you are non-black and especially white, your relationship to the n word is inherently negative as the word is understood to be a slur used for whites to dehumanise blacks and is still used as such. And your relationship to the black race is an awkward one because you have privileges over blacks. Then again if you have a personal relationship with the black person and they are fine with you using that word, I don't see why there would be an issue once you are using it behind closed doors.

Blacks relationship to the N Word can be negative, but it is a word that can only hurt themselves, that is why it is socially acceptable. In recent decades blacks have tried to reclaim the word to make it empowering. The relationship blacks have with the black race is inherently going to be more comfortable because they are all of the same fight and struggle and for some the N Word shows comradeship.

It isn't? I know loads of black people who hate hearing that word.

And of course, every other ethnicity hates that word too.
[video="youtube;IZT7xLjxuhs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZT7xLjxuhs[/video]
You're not not allowed. Go ahead and do it. I will laugh my dick off when you get knocked the **** out, though.
Reply 11
Original post by kingoftheting
You're not not allowed. Go ahead and do it. I will laugh my dick off when you get knocked the **** out, though.

Will you still be laughing when that black person who 'knocked him the **** out' goes to jail and furthers the stereotype that black are just violent people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't it racist to say "black" people are allowed to say the n word and no one else is allowed to?

It makes no sense to me, either everyone can say it or no one can.

Oh here we go another non-black person so desperate to release the urge to scream "n***er".

Look, I've been through this before multiple times and I'm tired, if yall wanna say it go ahead! It's up to you to face the consequences.

And another thing

Context, context, context!
Are you using it as a slur? Ok **** you! Or for educational purposes? Most people shouldn't have to question their use of a word if they know its for positive intentions so because you're questioning it I imagine you just want to bleat it every time one pops up on the telly.
Original post by Truths
Yep. Well that's kinda how the unspoken laws of human language and communication work. Same reason why it's not socially acceptable to address your teacher/mother in the same way your friends (by her first name or..). Because your relationship with your mother and your relationship with that word is inappropriate.

For four hundred years, that word has kept us down....

Cos dey wanna be from da Ghetto, you get me?

White manz is ard...
The history of it being used as an insult from other races still leaves a lot of social tension when it's not a black person saying it. So saying it so flippantly can normalize it a little too much and leave some offended- whereas others don't mind it. Why would you want to say it so badly if you understood it's oppressive history?
Black privilege. One rule for them, different rules for everyone else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17

boom there is it
Reply 18
Original post by tanya.chichi
The history of it being used as an insult from other races still leaves a lot of social tension when it's not a black person saying it. So saying it so flippantly can normalize it a little too much and leave some offended- whereas others don't mind it. Why would you want to say it so badly if you understood it's oppressive history?

I don't understand why a few people have jumped to this assumption, no where does he say that he actual wants to say it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really care tbh.

Obviously black people don't use the word for offence but sadly other races can and still do so.
Just get over it

Latest

Trending

Trending