The Student Room Group

is physio for me?

Hi, Im 22 y/o having previously studied but dropped out of an engineering degree. I chose the degree more based on its career prospects than my enjoyment and having dropped out Im now considering what to do next. Ive always had a natural interest in sport science / health / nutrition.

I am really considering applying to physiotherapy as a mature student (id like to work within MSK / sports injury area) My problem is I have always been academically average, and got a D in my only relevant A level(PE). Id have to do an access course, but in all honestly im concerned I may find the course too difficult? I always found it difficult to get my head around the anat & phys area of pe and didnt study biology past GCSE.

From peoples experience how intense is the course? and how much of a natural grasp of biology do you think is necessary to do well?

thanks
Original post by hallen8
Hi, Im 22 y/o having previously studied but dropped out of an engineering degree. I chose the degree more based on its career prospects than my enjoyment and having dropped out Im now considering what to do next. Ive always had a natural interest in sport science / health / nutrition.

I am really considering applying to physiotherapy as a mature student (id like to work within MSK / sports injury area) My problem is I have always been academically average, and got a D in my only relevant A level(PE). Id have to do an access course, but in all honestly im concerned I may find the course too difficult? I always found it difficult to get my head around the anat & phys area of pe and didnt study biology past GCSE.

From peoples experience how intense is the course? and how much of a natural grasp of biology do you think is necessary to do well?

thanks

Hiya, I will be starting physio in september. To be honest having spoken to physios that I currently work with, it is a difficult degree. But I'm not the fastest at picking things up, maybe you will just have to work extra hard to get your head around the anatomy stuff? Also I don't know if you have relevant healthcare work experience but you mention wanting to work in sport/msk. Firstly the unis REALLY don't want to hear that when you apply, basically mentioning sport is a no, because the course is nhs funded, and mostly you will work in an NHS hospital doing cardiac/respiratory/neuro physio. A lot of people have an unrealistic view of what physiotherapy involves because they think about a possible sports side to it. I was firstly interested because I'm sporty but so much of physio is literally getting people walking again in hospital. I now work in a stroke team as a physio assistant and love it so knew it was the career for me. Maybe you should try the access course, get a good amount of work experience shadowing physios and stuff to make sure you have a good understanding of it (you also won't be considered at all by unis unless you have experience) and take it from there? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending