The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 - June 3rd, 2015 [Exam discussion thread]

A thread for the FP2 exam this year.

UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME POSTED BY ARSEY:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56530957&highlight=arsey

ANSWERS:

1) 6<x<3-6<x<-3 or x>1x>1, introducing mod gives x>1x>1

2) mod=4arg=2π3\mod=4 \arg=\frac{2\pi}{3}, z6=4096z^6=4096, w=±22w=\pm 2\sqrt2 and ±22i\pm 2\sqrt{2}i

3) y=3cosx2cos3x+csinxy=\dfrac{3\cos x-2\cos^3x+c}{ \sin x} but your answer may look very different and still be correct

4) Series proofs

5) Centre (45,0),r=65(-\frac{4}{5}, 0), r=\frac{6}{5}, region inside of circle shaded

6) A=3,B=1A=3, B=-1 Series coeffs: 3,83,40,176333, 8\sqrt3, 40, \frac{176}{3}\sqrt3

7) Polar turning point (9a2,π3)(\frac{9a}{2}, \frac{\pi}{3}), p=94,q=8116p=\frac{9}{4}, q=\frac{81}{16}

8)y=lnx8+116+x4(Alnx+B)y=\frac{ \ln x}{8}+\frac{1}{16}+x^4(A \ln x+B)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Show that 2z+1+i=2z+1+i|2z+1+i|=2|z+1+i| under the transformation w=z+1iz1w=\dfrac{z+1}{iz-1} makes the circle wi=2w1|w-i|=\sqrt{2}|w-1|

Can anyone post their solution to this? I went about half-way before realising that I can't see myself getting the right answer with what I had. I'm wondering if there's a sign error or something in the question (from the purple Oxford FP2 exercise book, Q8 Ex. 3.7).
Original post by Elcor
Show that 2z+1+i=2z+1+i|2z+1+i|=2|z+1+i| under the transformation w=z+1iz1w=\dfrac{z+1}{iz-1} makes the circle wi=2w1|w-i|=\sqrt{2}|w-1|

Can anyone post their solution to this? I went about half-way before realising that I can't see myself getting the right answer with what I had. I'm wondering if there's a sign error or something in the question (from the purple Oxford FP2 exercise book, Q8 Ex. 3.7).

Isn't there already a thread for FP2 already?
Ah well.
First I expanded the first equation, then I changed the subject in the second equation to z and equate real parts and imaginary parts, so I would get x and y in terms of u and v.
Donno why the image is sideways though.
Reply 3
Original post by simonli2575
Isn't there already a thread for FP2 already?
Ah well.
First I expanded the first equation, then I changed the subject in the second equation to z and equate real parts and imaginary parts, so I would get x and y in terms of u and v.
Donno why the image is sideways though.

I thought there was no thread which is why I made one

Reply 4
For inequality questions, how are you meant to deduce the new inequality when they apply a modulus function to it? Is it just that any closed inequality disappears (this is just based on one example I've done)?
Reply 5
Original post by Elcor
For inequality questions, how are you meant to deduce the new inequality when they apply a modulus function to it? Is it just that any closed inequality disappears (this is just based on one example I've done)?

I don't fully understand your question, could you post a problem where you're unsure about what to do?
Reply 6
Original post by Navo D.
I don't fully understand your question, could you post a problem where you're unsure about what to do?

This is from June 2010: http://gyazo.com/0d59e3efa592c83184dc168f5b821d6c

For part (b), is there some simple method like any closed inequalities disappear, or would you just test the sign of x+42x+3x+4-\dfrac{2}{|x+3|} in-between the critical values you found in part (a)?
Reply 7
Original post by Elcor
This is from June 2010: http://gyazo.com/0d59e3efa592c83184dc168f5b821d6c

For part (b), is there some simple method like any closed inequalities disappear, or would you just test the sign of x+42x+3x+4-\dfrac{2}{|x+3|} in-between the critical values you found in part (a)?

Not sure if this would work but I'd sketch a graph of the two functions and see what range of values from my answer to part (A) would satisfy the new inequality
Reply 8
Original post by Navo D.
Not sure if this would work but I'd sketch a graph of the two functions and see what range of values from my answer to part (A) would satisfy the new inequality

That's a lot of time for 1 mark
Reply 9
Original post by Elcor
That's a lot of time for 1 mark

Yeah you're right... :s-smilie: not sure then, does Arsey have worked solns for this paper?
Reply 10
Original post by Navo D.
Yeah you're right... :s-smilie: not sure then, does Arsey have worked solns for this paper?

Don't think so. I think you just plug in values like I suggested and check the sign.
Could they ask us to do a proof by induction on something other than the proof for de moivre (like the attached q) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, how do you do this q?:
The transformation T from the complex z-plane to the complex w-plane is given by w=(z+1)/(z+i)

(a) Show that T maps points on the half-line arg(z) =pi/4 in the z-plane into points on the circle |w| =1 (4 marks)
Original post by BP_Tranquility
The transformation T from the complex z-plane to the complex w-plane is given by w=(z+1)/(z+i)

(a) Show that T maps points on the half-line arg(z) =pi/4 in the z-plane into points on the circle |w| =1 (4 marks)

That's just a half-line with equation y=x.
Reply 14

Find z in terms of w, sub that in the arg then you should be able to use arg rules to get the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it helps at all I have written some free study materials for Edexcel FP2 (with some MEI sprinkled in there). I have also posted in the FP1 preparation thread if anyone is resitting that.

Good luck!
is the conventional range of theta for both complex nos and polar coordinates -pi to pi, and is that usually used in exams?

i think you equate rwal and imaginary parts
Reply 18
Original post by Ilovemaths96
is the conventional range of theta for both complex nos and polar coordinates -pi to pi, and is that usually used in exams?

yep as far as i know this is the convention for edexcel
Original post by Navo D.
yep as far as i know this is the convention for edexcel

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending