The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1 - June 9th, 2015 [Exam discussion thread]

A thread for the D1 exam this year.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm currently doing my GCSE's and I just wanted to know if I should do further maths for A-levels
Reply 2
Original post by 4nonymous
Hey, I'm currently doing my GCSE's and I just wanted to know if I should do further maths for A-levels

Obviously that's not enough information for anyone to advise you on such an important life choice. Give me as much relevant info on you as you can and I'll try to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finish all the content for a level maths. Going to revise C3, C4 and D1 in lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Obviously that's not enough information for anyone to advise you on such an important life choice. Give me as much relevant info on you as you can and I'll try to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I am currently doing GCSE maths and I am getting an A* frequently and I have received the top score in my year for the mock exam as I got 192/200. However, I am worried as to whether or not to do it since I have heard it is related to physics which I am not as good at, but I have got an A in my GCSE mock for physics.
Reply 5
Well, I am currently doing GCSE maths and I am getting an A* frequently and I have received the top score in my year for the mock exam as I got 192/200. However, I am worried as to whether or not to do it since I have heard it is related to physics which I am not as good at, but I have got an A in my GCSE mock for physics.

Those who cannot apply themselves to a big step from GCSE will not do well in A Level Maths or further maths. It does not depend on what grade you got at GCSE. People can get A*s at GCSE Maths and fail A Level Maths miserably, while others who perhaps only got a B at GCSE and are committed to working hard will often achieve a good grade.

Ultimately you should only enter A level Mathematics if you are prepared to work very hard and only A level & further Maths if you are prepared to work twice the commitment of the regular A level. No one ever crams revision into the night before the a level maths exams and hits an A (if you do then you're probably too much of a factual thinker and won't get very far in life afterwards).

There are 18 modules in total. C1, C2, C3 and C4 are all compulsory modules. In single Maths you will study two of these each year in addition to two modules of your choice from D1, D2, M1, M2, S1 or S2 (Decision, Mechanics or Statistics). If you choose to do Double & further then you will study C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, & M1 (as well as D1 if your further education place offers it but only 6 modules will be selected), then the second year you will study FP1, FP2 or FP3 and you can study other modules such as D2, S2-S4 & M2-5.

Core Mathematics comprises of one non-calculator and three calculator exams and is about how you apply mathematical rules.

Decision is entirely focused on how fast you can process algorithmic processes rather than factual mathematics, hence why it is often chosen in conjunction with sciences of a computer nature.

Mechanics is the most mathematical of the three applied and is focused on the motions of forces, hence why it is often chosen in conjunction with psychics.

Statistics is the most familiar of the three applied. Probability and graphical representations of data, hence why it is often chosen in conjunction with business and social sciences.

Further Pure Mathematics is far more abstract than the factual nature of core mathematics. FPM covers more interesting aspects of mathematics such as the nonexistence of numbers, greater complexities of graphs, inverse matrices, etc. It is not that much harder than C3/C4 and is rather newer mathematical elements in conjunction to your existing knowledge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gwaine
Those who cannot apply themselves to a big step from GCSE will not do well in A Level Maths or further maths. It does not depend on what grade you got at GCSE. People can get A*s at GCSE Maths and fail A Level Maths miserably, while others who perhaps only got a B at GCSE and are committed to working hard will often achieve a good grade.

Ultimately you should only enter A level Mathematics if you are prepared to work very hard and only A level & further Maths if you are prepared to work twice the commitment of the regular A level. No one ever crams revision into the night before the a level maths exams and hits an A (if you do then you're probably too much of a factual thinker and won't get very far in life afterwards).

There are 18 modules in total. C1, C2, C3 and C4 are all compulsory modules. In single Maths you will study two of these each year in addition to two modules of your choice from D1, D2, M1, M2, S1 or S2 (Decision, Mechanics or Statistics). If you choose to do Double & further then you will study C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, & M1 (as well as D1 if your further education place offers it but only 6 modules will be selected), then the second year you will study FP1, FP2 or FP3 and you can study other modules such as D2, S2-S4 & M2-5.

Core Mathematics comprises of one non-calculator and three calculator exams and is about how you apply mathematical rules.

Decision is entirely focused on how fast you can process algorithmic processes rather than factual mathematics, hence why it is often chosen in conjunction with sciences of a computer nature.

Mechanics is the most mathematical of the three applied and is focused on the motions of forces, hence why it is often chosen in conjunction with psychics.

Statistics is the most familiar of the three applied. Probability and graphical representations of data, hence why it is often chosen in conjunction with business and social sciences.

Further Pure Mathematics is far more abstract than the factual nature of core mathematics. FPM covers more interesting aspects of mathematics such as the nonexistence of numbers, greater complexities of graphs, inverse matrices, etc. It is not that much harder than C3/C4 and is rather newer mathematical elements in conjunction to your existing knowledge.

Thanks that helped a lot. And I am willing to work extremely hard. It's my favourite subject so I will put in a lot of effort. This is definitely going to be an option for me.
Reply 7
Thanks that helped a lot. And I am willing to work extremely hard. It's my favourite subject so I will put in a lot of effort. This is definitely going to be an option for me.

Don't let people scare you off of choosing it if you really enjoy maths, and if a Further Maths A Level would be useful for your university course (i.e. any STEM course). Most people in my FM class got A*s at GCSE, and yet there was every grade from A*-U for the Maths A Level which we did in 1 year.

Don't post anymore because it's derailing the thread, but PM me if you want. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd ace it if it weren't for the definitions.
Is there a way I can memorize them easily?
Original post by simonli2575
I'd ace it if it weren't for the definitions.
Is there a way I can memorize them easily?

Some you can assign a meaning to, like imagine a park for cycle, walk and path. Think of cycle as entering and exiting at the same place so it's a walk (or path, can't remember) that starts and ends at the same vertex, and so on.

Or just write them out and say them in your head. I found that remembering the exact order in the textbook made me able to rattle them off easily, kind of like a long list in my head that I was reading.

I found that they like to ask about tree and minimum spanning tree, probably one of the more annoying definitions to get right.

Good luck with D1 everyone! :woo:
Original post by SeanFM

I found that they like to ask about tree and minimum spanning tree, probably one of the more annoying definitions to get right.

A kind of plants.:lol:
Are there bronze/silver/gold packs for D1?
Reply 12
People if you know any good links to past papers that are worth doing or good notes let me know!
anyone got the 2015 paper?
Original post by scriberg
anyone got the 2015 paper?

Go to physicsandmathstutor website for the 2015 paper, it also has the regional and international advanced level paper
I'm really struggling with linear programming, does anyone have any links to videos or notes that explain it clearly?
I quite enjoy D1 now - I make silly mistakes, but I find the paper quite fun to do, particularly the Route Inspection stuff and Critical Path Analysis (despite how I can never get the end questions on it right).

How's everyone feeling about the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
I quite enjoy D1 now - I make silly mistakes, but I find the paper quite fun to do, particularly the Route Inspection stuff and Critical Path Analysis (despite how I can never get the end questions on it right).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Annoying.
And **** the definitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by kingaaran

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, applying some of the algorithms can be quite therapeutic. :laugh:

I got 63/75 in my mock, which is more than enough. I'm aiming for an A* in FM and for that you need 270/300 from your best 3 A2 exams, and 480/600 overall. Given that D1 is an AS module, I could probably get a high C in it and still get an A*, so I'm feeling rather nonchalant about the exam personally.
Original post by simonli2575
Annoying.
And **** the definitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan to learn them during the May holidays - a week before the exam :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending