The Student Room Group
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website

Gloucestershire University

Scroll to see replies

For me to get there it only takes 45 minutes to get there down the motorway so I think that is okay
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by Jay018
Have you looked at the virtual tours on the website? as looking at them really helped me decide on what i wanted to go for. but bare in mind it does only show the room and the kitchen.

When I went for my interview I was able to look at the Chalinor rooms and the villas, and I looked at the virtual tours the other day. The only issue I have is that the rooms I saw in person were different to the ones on the virtual tour.

I'm leaning towards en-suite at Chalinor, but I think I'm going to have to go back to the uni at some point and check out the other accommodation.
Reply 42
Also, does anyone know what the prices for accommodation are like at Gloucestershire in comparison to elsewhere around the UK?
Original post by JHine4
When I went for my interview I was able to look at the Chalinor rooms and the villas, and I looked at the virtual tours the other day. The only issue I have is that the rooms I saw in person were different to the ones on the virtual tour.

I'm leaning towards en-suite at Chalinor, but I think I'm going to have to go back to the uni at some point and check out the other accommodation.

Fair enough, but i guess it will give you a good idea on what is to offer in the rest of the block. Have you applied for any yet? I sent my application in yesterday.

In relation to you other post, i feel it is better than most others, as when i looked at plymouth, it was more expensive for a room there than at glos, you would be looking at 125quid minimum for an ensuite, and even then it would be a crappy room compared to the ones here.
I've applied for Park Villas they look pretty roomy and bright inside. I've put Challinor halls as my second choice, apparently they're being renovated for this year :smile:
Reply 45
I ended up doing it the other way round, Challinor then Park, although I doubt there's much difference in the rooms. Does anyone know when you're supposed to hear back about accommodation?
from what i have heard its around the end of June beginning of July.

Also freshers facebook pages are up if you want to join and find others on you course or have applied to the same accommodation. :biggrin:
Original post by wēnđy
Hey I live in Bath, I wondered about just living at home also. Do you think it's a manageable commute then?:")

Hey,

I used to live in Bath but now I live in Cheltenham. It takes about an hour and a half to get between the two so it's quite a commitment, but definitely do-able. It depends how often you would be doing the commute and driving/getting the train etc I guess. Have you thought about living in halls for first year and then looking at commuting for 2nd and 3rd?
Reply 48
Original post by amberl92
Hi I'm planning to study here too what are you going to be studying

Hey sorry for the late reply, i'll be studying english language what about you?
Original post by rose1212
Hey sorry for the late reply, i'll be studying english language what about you?

I'm going to be studying social work :-)
Reply 50
Original post by Tom_Watson
I only got a look at the Park campus, does anyone know what the sports facilities are like ?

Hi Tom,

Our sports facilities are at our Oxstalls campus in Gloucester. You can easily get there by jumping on our uni bus (94 or 94U) for around £1.20 with your student card.

We have a multi purpose gym with weights and CV equipment, Strength and Conditioning suite, Sports hall and Sports Studio as well as the Sports Science equipment like Physiology labs and Environmental Chamber.

There is currently a sand based astro turf on site too.

Most training takes place at Oxstalls through the week but the fixtures and locations will vary depending on what sport you play.
Let me know what sport you play and I can point you to where you'd be!

In addition, it's worth noting whether you want to play for sport for university or recreationally there is always chance to get involved!

Any other sporty questions are welcomed!
Gonna be studying English Literature at Gloucester Uni (hopefully, if my results are good enough) but I'm really into non competitive sports activities, especially running.
Was just wondering if there was a track or even just a gym close by to the campus? I'd appreciate any information on it :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by aRG16

Any other sporty questions are welcomed!

Was wondering if you knew much about the football team, e.g. are there B and C teams, how does the uni team compare to other unis, is there a competitive league that the unis play in etc.? Any information would be very helpful.
Original post by Lily_Boss
Gonna be studying English Literature at Gloucester Uni (hopefully, if my results are good enough) but I'm really into non competitive sports activities, especially running.
Was just wondering if there was a track or even just a gym close by to the campus? I'd appreciate any information on it :smile:

there are severak gyms around cheltenham or if you prefer theres the uni gym over in gloucester which you can get to by bus for around 1.20 if you get one of the uni ones. I'm also thinking of starting up running so am wondering the same thing. wont use the gym that often due to cost though. Most of the sports stuff asociated with the uni is over in gloucester (oxstalls campus) due to it being the campus where the sports degrees are done.
Original post by Jay018
there are severak gyms around cheltenham or if you prefer theres the uni gym over in gloucester which you can get to by bus for around 1.20 if you get one of the uni ones. I'm also thinking of starting up running so am wondering the same thing. wont use the gym that often due to cost though. Most of the sports stuff asociated with the uni is over in gloucester (oxstalls campus) due to it being the campus where the sports degrees are done.

Thanks a lot for the info :smile:
Thanks a lot for the info :smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by JHine4
Was wondering if you knew much about the football team, e.g. are there B and C teams, how does the uni team compare to other unis, is there a competitive league that the unis play in etc.? Any information would be very helpful.

Hi there!

Thanks for the question. We currently have 3 Men's and 2 Women's teams, all of which play in various BUCS leagues. Most play in the regional West divisions but best to visit the BUCS website to find out everything about competitive university sport. Find 'University of Gloucestershire' and have a look through the team results. Obviously, they were last seasons results, so team's may change depending on numbers, promotion/ relegation etc.

Something which might be of interest is the UNIversal scheme we have here which allows you to make your own 11a side of 5a side team and play within university against other students. It is a bit more social but still a league and proper refs. Check out of website for a few more details too under the 'Student Life' tab.

We also have very strong futsal teams here too who are national champs and finalists the last few years!

Hope that's okay!
Reply 57

Hiya!

I noticed you mentioned a track! The nearest gym to FCH campus is Lesiure@, Cheltenham, which has the Prince of Wales Stadium opposite, and that has the running track. (5mins walk away from FCH)
You can sign up for a student concession card (£7.70) and get really discounted rates for the swimming pool, squash courts and fitness classes too.

Behind the leisure centre, there is a Park Run (5km) every Saturday morning, which is free, around Pitville Park.

Also, the uni gym is in Oxstalls campus and is discounted should you be part of a university team. Generally around £120 for the year.

Google the above!
Hope that's okay!
Original post by aRG16
Hiya!

I noticed you mentioned a track! The nearest gym to FCH campus is Lesiure@, Cheltenham, which has the Prince of Wales Stadium opposite, and that has the running track. (5mins walk away from FCH)
You can sign up for a student concession card (£7.70) and get really discounted rates for the swimming pool, squash courts and fitness classes too.

Behind the leisure centre, there is a Park Run (5km) every Saturday morning, which is free, around Pitville Park.

Also, the uni gym is in Oxstalls campus and is discounted should you be part of a university team. Generally around £120 for the year.

Google the above!
Hope that's okay!

Could you give me some more info in the Student card please?
Original post by aRG16
Hiya!

Google the above!
Hope that's okay!

Thank you so, so much for this information :biggrin: This is exactly what I was looking for!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending