The Student Room Group

Durham econ vs LSE management

Wondering what to do!
Aiming for finance/banking in general!
Will the fact LSE is management science in effect place it below Durham in ability to get me into where I want to be? Is one course more prestigious than the other? Is the management course at LSE respectable (relative to it's economics ones?)
All help appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by Audi
Wondering what to do!
Will the fact LSE is management science in effect place it below Durham in ability to get me into where I want to be? Is one course more prestigious than the other? Is the management course at LSE respectable (relative to it's economics ones?)
All help appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd opt for LSE, purely based on brand. In either degree, you won't learn anything about finance, or anything that is applicable at least. You will quickly see that your degree is too theoretical, and actually, much of economics isn't finance related in any case.
Reply 3
Original post by .ACS.
I'd opt for LSE, purely based on brand. In either degree, you won't learn anything about finance, or anything that is applicable at least. You will quickly see that your degree is too theoretical, and actually, much of economics isn't finance related in any case.

Thank you! I suppose LSE is likely to get you a better internship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audi
Thank you! I suppose LSE is likely to get you a better internship?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durham is a high semi-target school, to be honest would be a target if not for it's distance from London.

Both will get you internships if we're talking about investment banking careers. (Remember, the name gets you the first round interview then after that your school does not count for anything - so don't study something you do not want to to just get to the first round interview... when both can get you there).

LSE's course you will not find fun, where as Durham you most probably will enjoy it as Economics > Management.
Reply 5
Original post by QueenAryela
Durham is a high semi-target school, to be honest would be a target if not for it's distance from London.

Both will get you internships if we're talking about investment banking careers. (Remember, the name gets you the first round interview then after that your school does not count for anything - so don't study something you do not want to to just get to the first round interview... when both can get you there).

LSE's course you will not find fun, where as Durham you most probably will enjoy it as Economics > Management.

Thank you very much I found this very very helpful!
Original post by Audi
Wondering what to do!
All help appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durham, no?
I thought most think Management is too 'soft' even if it's LSE.
Which did you choose?
Reply 7
LSE -- it's a target uni for IBanking.
Reply 8
Original post by GandalfWhite
Durham, no?
I thought most think Management is too 'soft' even if it's LSE.
Which did you choose?

Would you say Durham then?
Still undecided :smile:
For IB, Durham Economics may have an edge over LSE Management. Just my opinion.
Best to add that it is not just the degree or the university that gets you into IB.

With so many talented candidates, the degree or university only get you into the list of potential candidates and then the other evaluation criteria kicks in.

Most of the successful candidates demonstrate leadership and commitment to their career goals through the active leadership roles in career oriented societies, good social networking and communication skills, and of course top grades in their courses.

Just so you know, neither Durham Economics or LSE Management will automatically get you the IB job, not even LSE Economics.
Reply 11
Original post by GandalfWhite
Best to add that it is not just the degree or the university that gets you into IB.

With so many talented candidates, the degree or university only get you into the list of potential candidates and then the other evaluation criteria kicks in.

Most of the successful candidates demonstrate leadership and commitment to their career goals through the active leadership roles in career oriented societies, good social networking and communication skills, and of course top grades in their courses.

Just so you know, neither Durham Economics or LSE Management will automatically get you the IB job, not even LSE Economics.

So in a sense, both get me through the door but then it's down to me to sell myself? :smile:

Thanks you've really helped a lot!!!!
Original post by Audi
So in a sense, both get me through the door but then it's down to me to sell myself? :smile:

Thanks you've really helped a lot!!!!

You can get lots of information from here. http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/162937/mob_en/
Reply 13
Just wondering how you tailored your Personal Statement to fit both Degrees and what AS you achieved/A2 Predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending