The Student Room Group

Most uplifting towns and cities in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by william walker
There isn't any. House and shops aren't uplifting. The view from my back garden is though.

Try Glen Coe:

Oxford, Norwich, Bath, Brighton

Cornwall is lovely in the summer as well.
Reply 22
Original post by MrDystopia
Brighton, and a little village nearby called Newick.

Brighton?? It's quite run down isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In contrast to the other thread, Leeds is the place where I've felt the happiest and most uplifted.

I also like Exeter, York and Harrogate.

I'm from Cornwall and live in London so I'm not being biased.
Original post by elhm1800
Brighton?? It's quite run down isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah parts of it look awful, but then that's in every city. I think it's cause I don't live there, but I've only ever visited as a tourist so I always just associate it with fun and good memories :tongue:
Reply 25
Birmingham, London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elhm1800
That's not really answering the question...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it is :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by BWCW
London, towns along the Norfolk and Suffolk coast like Aldeburgh, Southwold, Wells. I would have said Cambridge, but now that I live and study here, it's not an uplifting place at all.

I totally agree with the East Anglian coastal towns point. Living in one myself, I can safely tell you we hardly ever get really bad rain and we have some very nicely sustained piers for tourists and townies alike! We definitely give Cornwall a run for their money.
Original post by Laomedeia
Try Glen Coe:

I prefer farmland and woods to hills and lakes. I am from Cumberland.
Reply 29
Original post by SiminaM
you mean window shopping? :rolleyes:

Both haha, life of spending too much... and saving too little...:tongue:
Norwich is very nice
Birmingham excites me the most. Witnessing the development taking place makes it a very aspirational place to be.

York is beautiful with a rich history and modern shops integrated into old buildings.

London doesn't need a justification.
Reply 32
Original post by Exceptional
Birmingham excites me the most. Witnessing the development taking place makes it a very aspirational place to be.

York is beautiful with a rich history and modern shops integrated into old buildings.

London doesn't need a justification.

What, all of London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
All big northern or central cities, or the countryside. All great places.
All those places lame asf.

Yall needa go Brixton, Southall, Upton Park, Hackney, Dalston, Elephant & Castle and Plumstead. They'll uplift you and your phones ^_^
Bournemouth (exc. all the drug dealers)
lymington
brighton
St Ives
North Dorset (Blandford/Shaftesbury etc..)
Bath
Oxford
Cambridge
Manchester
Birmingham
All of these are nice places, with the exception of small areas within though that's just how it is in every town/city i guess haha :smile:
Original post by MrDystopia
Yeah parts of it look awful, but then that's in every city. I think it's cause I don't live there, but I've only ever visited as a tourist so I always just associate it with fun and good memories :tongue:

Ahhh I've lived in Brighton for like 5 years and I still love it! It honestly just has the best feeling ever... yes there are some nasty areas, but it's got so much charm and its so quirky and there's honestly nowhere else like it.

I LOVE BRIGHTON :biggrin:
Of the towns/cities I've got decent experience of: Newcastle, Durham and York. County Durham and North Yorkshire in general are lovely for their mix of countryside and history, if I overlook that the thread originally asked for towns/cities instead of counties.
(edited 9 years ago)
Durham's pretty, but that's the best you can really say about it. I find it generally a dull, isolating and lonely place to live.

However, London and North Devon I like a lot. York and Oxford too, though I've not spent any extended amount of time there. Reading's not too bad either - I'd hardly call it 'uplifting' but I do very much enjoy living there. And it's very near Henley-on-Thames, which is lovely.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest