The Student Room Group

American student for masters in policy - please help!!

Hey guys,

I'm an American student currently holding a conditional offer for UCL (it's almost impossible for me not to fulfill the condition.) I'm waiting on Political economy from LSE and MPA from LSE as well as MPP from Oxford. However, I'm not confident in LSE and Oxford is most likely too expensive, even if I were to receive an offer.

I'm also currently considering applying to Edinburgh, which has a mandatory work aspect rather than a dissertation, which i'm not fond of being that i'm only 21 and have no experience in the policy world since I had to work to afford college in the states.

For me the hierarchy is LSE>Oxford>UCL=Edinburgh.

They are all fantastic schools, but reputation in the States counts a lot and that reputation goes Oxford>LSE>Edinburgh>UCL.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on how likely it would be to secure employment from UCL rather than Edinburgh if I would come out of UCL with no work experience, but Edinburgh with some.

All thoughts are welcome and appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
The experience of the mandatory work aspect from Edinburgh could get you ahead and will give you experience.

Aside from that I think it is an issue of what is most affordable. Also take into consideration that living costs in London with UCL and LSE will be higher than in Oxford or Edinburgh, although they all pricey places. Best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Swanbow
The experience of the mandatory work aspect from Edinburgh could get you ahead and will give you experience.

Aside from that I think it is an issue of what is most affordable. Also take into consideration that living costs in London with UCL and LSE will be higher than in Oxford or Edinburgh, although they all pricey places. Best of luck.

I'd have no problem paying for the money for LSE.. a bit worried about paying that for UCL, and it'll be roughly the same at Edinburgh as UCL.

I think i'll send an application to Edinburgh and see what happens.

Thank you!
Reply 3
I can say for EU students, UCL MPP offers good education and career opps. A student told me he valued the analytical training in methods (he had a liberal art background). I know that UCL MPP sends many grads to Confederation of Business and Industry (CBI) in London and two other private sector firms.

But you need to find your best fit, what works for you as you are an international student. Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by Tcannon
I can say for EU students, UCL MPP offers good education and career opps. A student told me he valued the analytical training in methods (he had a liberal art background). I know that UCL MPP sends many grads to Confederation of Business and Industry (CBI) in London and two other private sector firms.

But you need to find your best fit, what works for you as you are an international student. Good luck

Well I'm coming from a liberal arts background with some grounding in Econ/Math - but not much - and I've heard great things about the UCL MPP, however, I've heard its very very difficult to stay in the UK for work for american students, and not many american employers have heard of UCL from what I've seen.

Is there a way to get work experience in policy as i'm studying there? maybe work/intern 10-15 hours a week or something?

The mandatory work experience part sounds like a great thing at Edinburgh. I'd choose an American school, but they are literally 2-2.5 times as expensive.

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending