The Student Room Group

Msc Marketing: How much the uni ranking is important?

Hi, I'm going to apply for different uni: Aston Business School, Cranfield SOM and Newcastle University Business School.

Aston and Cranfiled are very good ranked in the most of charts (Eduniversal, Thecompleteuniversityguide, The Guardian ecc) then Newcastle's ranking is a little bit lower than these but his fees are much cheaper than the others (11.000 vs 5500).

1) How these rankings are indicative about the opinion of companies about uni?

2) The high prize difference is motivated and justified by future job advantages I could have studying at Aston or Cranfiled?
Original post by edo.marto
Hi, I'm going to apply for different uni: Aston Business School, Cranfield SOM and Newcastle University Business School.

Aston and Cranfiled are very good ranked in the most of charts (Eduniversal, Thecompleteuniversityguide, The Guardian ecc) then Newcastle's ranking is a little bit lower than these but his fees are much cheaper than the others (11.000 vs 5500).

2) The high prize difference is motivated and justified by future job advantages I could have studying at Aston or Cranfiled?

Aston and Cranfield are, indeed, well renowned for their Marketing courses and for their Business Schools overall as well. However, Newcastle's course has a very modern and relevant approach to marketing: consumer-focused and humanized strategy. No accounting/financial modules. I really like it. Newcastle Uni overall has a great reputation but the Business School is not that prominent as Aston and Cranfield. It depends on what you are looking for, I reckon.
Reply 2
Thank you Fabiano, what about Bradford School of Management?

P.s: Are you italian?

Also, I don't like that in Aston consumer behaviour and brand management are electives when such areas are so relevant to current marketing practice. And Aston overall doesn't have a good reputation like Newcastle. Cranfield is specific in business and it does give a broad perspective and it's certainly worthy of the investment. Also, you can do a marketing consultancy project rather than a dissertation, which sounds exciting. But it's in the middle of nowhere and their approach is quite traditional (there's no consumer behaviour, services marketing or anything more human and creative). It might be good or bad, depending on what you are looking for.

Bradford seems to have a good reputation for business as well (it figures on the FT ranking, for example) but I am not to keen on their curriculum (I am interested mainly on brand management and strategy and they don't have any modules about it). Although they have a total of 12 modules, which is quite interesting.

But the university overall doesn't have a quite good image (it's in the 600's position on QS, Aston is 390th and Newcastle 127th).

And I am Portuguese :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
So what uni do you suggest among Aston, Cranfield, Bradford and Newcastle?
So what uni do you suggest among Aston, Cranfield, Bradford and Newcastle?

For reputation and recognised quality, Cranfield. For content and approach, Newcastle.
Hi there,

Thank you for considering us, you're right our business school is very highly ranked by several key institutions with the addition of being a small minority which are triple accredited. However we understand there is more to choosing a university to study at than just rankings. If you have any questions about Aston, the city of Birmingham or Student Life here i would be happy to help you.

Josh
I applied to Cass for the MSc Marketing Strategy and Innovation and also Imperial for Strategic Marketing. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I am curious as to how much one will make-salary wise-after finishing an MSc in marketing from these schools. What kind of companies or jobs will be available and so on.

Hi edo.marto, I’m pleased to see that you’re considering the University of Bradford. We have a variety of Postgraduate Marketing courses that you may be interested in. Further information about these can be found at http://www.bradford.ac.uk/management/programmes/masters/marketing/

Last year the Faculty of Management and Law celebrated its 50th Anniversary as an international leader in business education, research and knowledge transfer. The Faculty provides engaging and innovative teaching and learning and highly applied relevant research which makes a difference to the world.

The Faculty of Management and Law is one of only 59 Business Schools across the world with the coveted Triple Crown of accreditations. With an international staff, alumni and student body, the Faculty have created an environment of world-leading management education and research where our students and staff can flourish.

More information on the Faculty of Management and Law please visit our website here.

We encourage all our students and graduates to provide a review of the University here: http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/university-of-bradford-ranking/3730/page.html. Alongside this we ask all students give us honest feedback through 4 surveys; the main survey being the National Student Survey (NSS). The information gathered from the NSS is used by us to improve the student experience and help prospective students with making their decision. All the results are made available to the public at https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

Original post by FabianoBR
Bradford seems to have a good reputation for business as well (it figures on the FT ranking, for example) but I am not to keen on their curriculum (I am interested mainly on brand management and strategy and they don't have any modules about it). Although they have a total of 12 modules, which is quite interesting.

But the university overall doesn't have a quite good image (it's in the 600's position on QS, Aston is 390th and Newcastle 127th).

And I am Portuguese :smile:

Hi FabianoBR, taking into account your areas of interest you may wish to look at our Marketing and Management MSc course.

The Marketing and Management MSc programme incorporates not only core areas of business and management (operations management, international business environment, economics, human resource management and finance and accounting) but also key knowledge and skills within the area of marketing (marketing strategy, marketing communications, services marketing, and consumer behaviour).

I hope you both find this information useful. If either of you have any further concerns or queries about our courses or the University in general please feel free to get in touch.
Reply 10
Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

Thank you for considering us, you're right our business school is very highly ranked by several key institutions with the addition of being a small minority which are triple accredited. However we understand there is more to choosing a university to study at than just rankings. If you have any questions about Aston, the city of Birmingham or Student Life here i would be happy to help you.

Josh

Hi Josh, I would like to have some info about the abroad programs "Term 3" and "Summer School" organized by ABS for postgraduate students, what about their lenght, contents and structure?

Hey, good to hear that you're considering Newcastle :smile:

This account is run by a recent Newcastle graduate (me!) and a current Newcastle student (Rachel). Rachel is studying Marketing and Management, so I'm sure she can help if you have questions about the Business School or the way Marketing is taught here :smile:

All the best,
Persephone
Hi Josh, I would like to have some info about the abroad programs "Term 3" and "Summer School" organized by ABS for postgraduate students, what about their lenght, contents and structure?

Hi,

You can find more information on ABS Summer Schools here these are bit sized conference style learning sessions over the course of two days. Contents completely varies on which one you wish to attend. You should be able to click Full course outline and download a programme of the whole day on the above link.

Term 3 is a slightly different programme which allows you to study abroad for a term at another business school we are linked with. You can find a full list of those which you can study at here.
Original post by Avoirdouboi
I applied to Cass for the MSc Marketing Strategy and Innovation and also Imperial for Strategic Marketing. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I am curious as to how much one will make-salary wise-after finishing an MSc in marketing from these schools. What kind of companies or jobs will be available and so on.

Hi, I don't have any salary data to hand that is programme specific - I'll see what I can dig out.

However LinkedIn recently ranked universities based on how successful recent graduates have been at landing desirable marketing jobs. Aston came second in the country - at Masters level we have a really powerful package of benefits including professional placements, mentoring and a great careers service . Link below

Capture.JPG

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-marketing?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card

Regards
Tony (in Josh's absence)
Fabiano sou brasileiro e tb estou buscando um master em marketing porem em londres e part time pq preciso trabalhar ate agora o que vi com boa reputacao foi o birkbeck e middlesex com part time se souber de alguma me avise algum college bom renomado na area de marketing.... Onrigado! Ps sou portuga tb
Original post by LeandroBR
Fabiano sou brasileiro e tb estou buscando um master em marketing porem em londres e part time pq preciso trabalhar ate agora o que vi com boa reputacao foi o birkbeck e middlesex com part time se souber de alguma me avise algum college bom renomado na area de marketing.... Onrigado! Ps sou portuga tb

Mandei inbox para nao poluir o fórum com língua estrangeira. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending