The Student Room Group

St Andrews or Nottingham for Economics?

I've got offers from Nottingham and St Andrews (A*AA & AAA respectively) to study Economics. I want to go into Investment Banking post-uni; which offer should I accept? St Andrews are 3rd/4th in the league tables this year compared to Nottingham being outside the top 10, but Nottingham is closer to London so I imagine it being better for employment opportunities.

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)
Reply 1
Which league tables are you looking at?
Reply 3

Overall rankings are almost pointless to look at, check for individual subjects and you'll see that notts is much better + a lot of notts graduates go into IB etc
Reply 4
Original post by pat.bateman
Overall rankings are almost pointless to look at, check for individual subjects and you'll see that notts is much better + a lot of notts graduates go into IB etc

& what do you know of St Andrews graduate destinations in comparison?
I'd say Notts.
Reply 6
Original post by liamc1997
& what do you know of St Andrews graduate destinations in comparison?

I don't normally see St Andrews mentioned when it comes to IB. This will give you a rough idea: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11133948/Want-to-be-an-investment-banker-Head-to-LSE.html
Forget League Tables and 'rankings'. Its no way to chose which University and course is right for you.

Lots of advice here about making Firm and Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices
Reply 8
Typically, apparently, Nottingham has the slight edge over St Andrews for IB (according to the IB Careers forum).

In terms of the Economics department, Nottingham's is definitely a few steps above that of St Andrews.
Nottingham is stronger for IB careers and Economics as a subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But it wont be 'Nottingham' or wherever applying for jobs will it - it will be YOU.

Ultimately it doesnt depend on which Uni you went to - it depends on your academic results and the amount of effort you put into getting internships and relevant work experience during your time at Uni. And whether you can construct a good job application and you can put in a good performance at interview.

Stop hiding behind this 'which Uni' thing - people succeed or fail by their own ability and effort, and only real failures mumble rubbish like 'It wasnt my fault - it was because of the Uni I went to'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by sydneybridge
But it wont be 'Nottingham' or wherever applying for jobs will it - it will be YOU.

Ultimately it doesnt depend on which Uni you went to - it depends on your academic results and the amount of effort you put into getting internships and relevant work experience during your time at Uni. And whether you can construct a good job application and you can put in a good performance at interview.

Stop hiding behind this 'which Uni' thing - people succeed or fail by their own ability and effort, and only real failures mumble rubbish like 'It wasnt my fault - it was because of the Uni I went to'.

Couldn't agree more, thank you!

Quick Reply