The Student Room Group

Where to apply 2016?

So, am definitely going to apply for Eng Lit next year - that is a definite. However, am unsure as to where to apply. Although I haven't got my AS's yet, I would hope that my predicted grades next year would be either A*AA or AAA. Hopefully the former. So, am wondering where are the best places for english, from a students perspective. Have gone to a small boarding school from year 7, and I do love the community feel, so finding that would be an advantage. However, slightly in contradiction to that, I also want a place where there is a fairly good nightlife. And of course, a well-respected english course would be an obvious bonus. So, if any current students have any suggestions, that'd be great, or if anyone else is in the same position as me, let me know where you might be applying.
Reply 1
If you like the community feel I suggest you apply to a collegiate university such as Oxford, Cambridge or Durham. The former two are quite close to London, and Durham is only 40 minutes away from Newcastle, so nightlife is sorted, and as far as I am aware they are all top universities!

I've attended a small boarding school too and I'm in last year now, and I too wanted a sense of community at uni, so I eventually applied to Oxford and St Andrews as my top two. Unfortunately the former rejected me after three stressful days of interview, but I'm now hoping to go to St A because it's a very small university and many people from my school, who've ended up there and are similar to me are loving it!
Hope this helps! :smile: Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LivK
If you like the community feel I suggest you apply to a collegiate university such as Oxford, Cambridge or Durham. The former two are quite close to London, and Durham is only 40 minutes away from Newcastle, so nightlife is sorted, and as far as I am aware they are all top universities!

I've attended a small boarding school too and I'm in last year now, and I too wanted a sense of community at uni, so I eventually applied to Oxford and St Andrews as my top two. Unfortunately the former rejected me after three stressful days of interview, but I'm now hoping to go to St A because it's a very small university and many people from my school, who've ended up there and are similar to me are loving it!
Hope this helps! :smile: Good luck!

Thanks! Hadn't thought of St Andrews - my UK geography is awful, do you know whereabouts in Scotland it is? Oxford I would love, but do not think I would get in, and don't want to waste a choice. How were the interviews - as difficult as rumoured?
Reply 3
Original post by ohitstia
Thanks! Hadn't thought of St Andrews - my UK geography is awful, do you know whereabouts in Scotland it is? Oxford I would love, but do not think I would get in, and don't want to waste a choice. How were the interviews - as difficult as rumoured?

It's about an hour away from Edinburgh so it's not as isolated as people think! :smile:
Hmm the interviews were challenging, but they are not impossible. The thing is you don't know what they are actually looking for in your answers; it's not just about giving the right answer, but show them how you can think logically... They were terrifying, but a great experience :smile: I guess mine did not go too well because while I was there I realised that the subject I had applied for was not what I actually wanted to do, and that must have come across at interview! If you get decent AS, I wouldn't give up on Oxbridge.. It's not a waste of a choice, unless you have 5 unis you love equally and don't want to give up on one of them.
Reply 4
Original post by LivK
It's about an hour away from Edinburgh so it's not as isolated as people think! :smile:
Hmm the interviews were challenging, but they are not impossible. The thing is you don't know what they are actually looking for in your answers; it's not just about giving the right answer, but show them how you can think logically... They were terrifying, but a great experience :smile: I guess mine did not go too well because while I was there I realised that the subject I had applied for was not what I actually wanted to do, and that must have come across at interview! If you get decent AS, I wouldn't give up on Oxbridge.. It's not a waste of a choice, unless you have 5 unis you love equally and don't want to give up on one of them.

Yeah, I kind of imagine it to be hours and hours away from anywhere. What did you apply for initially? If I got all A's I would probably apply - Oxford is so pretty! Which college did you apply for?
Reply 5
Original post by ohitstia
Yeah, I kind of imagine it to be hours and hours away from anywhere. What did you apply for initially? If I got all A's I would probably apply - Oxford is so pretty! Which college did you apply for?

I applied for Archaeology and Anthropology but I'm only really interested in Social Anthropology, which was my choice at all other unis. Unfortunately, Oxford offers only Arch & Anth. Yes, fair point! :smile:
I applied to Hertford, and got a second interview at St Peter's :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending