The Student Room Group

Feelings of guilt about anxiety, any advice?

Hello, I am currently recovering from depression and social anxiety.

I am struggling with a hurdle, which is feelings of guilt.
Basically, things happen to me that at the time I feel bad but I continuously feel bad about them for months. One event is still haunting me from May because I feel like I am going to get into trouble from this event.

I would like some advice on how to stop obsessive worrying about things; when I stop worrying its a relief but then I keep thinking "there were those things you were worrying about, why aren't you worrying about them?" and the worrying and feeling down starts again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop thinking in this way and to release these worries? I would like self help advice because I've managed to help myself much better than my old therapist who made things much worse for me.
Talk about it
Reply 2
Feelings of guilt are a completely normal thing to struggle with along with depression and anxiety.

I don't have much to suggest other than to realise that they're not based in anything real - ie you having done something wrong, or even if they're collecting around a memory where you did something wrong, the magnitude of the feelings does not necessarily stem from the actual situation they're collecting around, if that makes sense.

You would be feeling guilty regardless of whether there were any events in your recent past that could feasibly give rise to feelings of guilt. So just acknowledge the feeling and then let it go, knowing that it's a trick your mind is playing on you. Mindfulness is supposed to be about this kind of thing, right? Might be worth reading a thing or two there. And it's definitely worth continuing to get your depression and anxiety under better control. The feelings of guilt will pretty much go when the rest does. But work on letting the feeling drift away instead of analysing why you might be experiencing it - there is no logical reason.
Reply 3
I have similar issues to you. Still struggling somewhat with depression and anxiety.
I sometimes also experience guilt or even extreme embarrassment about things I've done or that have happened to me even a long time ago.
The only thing I can say is try to shrug it off and focus on other things.
Most of the time the past stays in the past so focus on the now. You're probably not the same person you were in the past.

Also remember that while it may seem like a big deal to you... most people really don't care as much as you and unless it was something that negatively affected them personally they aren't likely to judge you or hold it against you. So it's not worth worrying about it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest