The Student Room Group

Gcse triple science ocr summer 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kingaaran
Did this last year and got 3 A*s, full UMS in B1-3, B4-6, C1-3 and P4-6, and A*s in all the rest. If you have any questions about any of the topics, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's freaking crazy!!! i sent you a skype btw :smile:
Did this last year and got 3 A*s, full UMS in B1-3, B4-6, C1-3 and P4-6, and A*s in all the rest. If you have any questions about any of the topics, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do the Edexcel exam board but I was wondering if you had completed all your personal notes for all your science exams by this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Cobbold
I do the Edexcel exam board but I was wondering if you had completed all your personal notes for all your science exams by this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't make notes, but I had finished all the content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, Kingaaran is a great person and a hardworking student ! He's helped me a lot !

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I didn't make notes, but I had finished all the content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any general advice on achieving A* or is your advice specific to your exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Cobbold
Do you have any general advice on achieving A* or is your advice specific to your exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I tutor people AQA science too. What I would say with science is that you need to make sure that you first understand all of your content. That doesn't mean that you only learn the content based upon previous exam questions or that you neglect content that you don't think will 'come up' in your paper - it means that you learn everything, but you learn it such that you understand why and how processes work and have the ability to apply your knowledge to the extent that your exam board would require.

Once you have gone over the content, which you should do with your textbooks and the spec (the spec is perhaps the most important, as it tells you exactly what you need to know, especially for OCR!), then, and only then, should you attempt to do questions. That way, you won't 'waste' any invaluable past paper questions and you'll be able to do it with your knowledge and then be able to gauge how much you know, how well you've learnt and what you need to continue to practise.

Another thing is that you should not just use past papers from your exam board, particularly with science subjects. This is because, across all exam boards, the topics will be approximately the same, with some variations here and there, and the addition and subtraction of a few elements. But, if you know your content well, you should be able to answer questions from other exam boards. What this will allow you to do is answer questions in new, different and unfamiliar contexts, which will really help you strengthen your understanding and (hopefully) grant you the ability to apply your knowledge, which is vital if you're aiming for an A*, I would say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
No, I tutor people AQA science too. What I would say with science is that you need to make sure that you first understand all of your content. That doesn't mean that you only learn the content based upon previous exam questions or that you neglect content that you don't think will 'come up' in your paper - it means that you learn everything, but you learn it such that you understand why and how processes work and have the ability to apply your knowledge to the extent that your exam board would require.

Once you have gone over the content, which you should do with your textbooks and the spec (the spec is perhaps the most important, as it tells you exactly what you need to know, especially for OCR!), then, and only then, should you attempt to do questions. That way, you won't 'waste' any invaluable past paper questions and you'll be able to do it with your knowledge and then be able to gauge how much you know, how well you've learnt and what you need to continue to practise.

Another thing is that you should not just use past papers from your exam board, particularly with science subjects. This is because, across all exam boards, the topics will be approximately the same, with some variations here and there, and the addition and subtraction of a few elements. But, if you know your content well, you should be able to answer questions from other exam boards. What this will allow you to do is answer questions in new, different and unfamiliar contexts, which will really help you strengthen your understanding and (hopefully) grant you the ability to apply your knowledge, which is vital if you're aiming for an A*, I would say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aha1
to be honest i'm ok with bio and chem it's just physics for me :///

oh my goodness same?!so many tests and equations an all the rest!!!
Reply 28

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, I am in year 10, and i have my mock in two weeks. Would I be able to receive your notes for Chemistry, biology, and Physics...
Chemistry - C1, C2, C4
Physics - P1, P2, P3
Biology - B1, B2, B4

Thanks! ������:tongue:
Original post by Thenujan
Hello, I am in year 10, and i have my mock in two weeks. Would I be able to receive your notes for Chemistry, biology, and Physics...
Chemistry - C1, C2, C4
Physics - P1, P2, P3
Biology - B1, B2, B4

Thanks! ������:tongue:

I don't make notes, as I feel they are a bit of a waste of time for me personally. So sorry, I don't have notes I can share with you :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you understand P6 because i dont get anything from the module
Original post by PrincessAisha

Ask me what you don't get, and I'll try to explain.

With P6, I found the textbook difficult and really annoying. This is because the textbook tries to teach the spec, but not go into too much depth as that would branch off into higher level study. However, with some of the things, like potential dividers and transistors, for example, I learnt some of the higher level explanations, because I can't learn how something works without knowing why. Understanding why really helped me understand how - which is all that P6 goes into, in all honesty.

P6 was also very easy in my paper, so expect a beast of a P6 section...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by aha1
anyone doing ocr bio, physics, chem 1,2,3,4,5,6?? Let's stress out together?? Considering we're still learning the 6 modules for all three sciences ://

me too! Have you started revising?
Reply 33

I need a lot of help with P5 and P6 too Please
Reply 34

Do you have any notes or resources that I could receive. Thanks.
Reply 35
Original post by Ajaipal
me too! Have you started revising?

um yes :L exams are a month away...
Reply 36
Are you talking about the Collins OCR textbook that you didn't find helpful? Because I have been using that for my revision so far and have found it useful but I haven't got as far as P6 so I don't know if it will be good. How did you learn P6 then? Thanks-Any advice will be appreciated.
Original post by Ajaipal
Are you talking about the Collins OCR textbook that you didn't find helpful? Because I have been using that for my revision so far and have found it useful but I haven't got as far as P6 so I don't know if it will be good. How did you learn P6 then? Thanks-Any advice will be appreciated.

They are useful, but I learnt P6 by looking at what the spec wants me to know and googling physics resources based on them and having to sit for hours decoding equations and confusing concepts, but ultimately, they graced me with a good understanding that meant I understood what the book's point was and why the book was describing what it was describing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey, i was trying to message you but it says that you have too many messages so i was going ask you on any tips to get the highest grades in science ocr and even in general. Also, i do not understand certain things in p5 and p6 which i was hoping to ask you. thank you and if you can, could you try messaging me :smile:
[QUOTE=kingaaran;54675537]Did this last year and got 3 A*s, full UMS in B1-3, B4-6, C1-3 and P4-6, and A*s in all the rest. If you have any questions about any of the topics, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

hey, i was trying to message you but it says that you have too many messages so i was going ask you on any tips to get the highest grades in science ocr and even in general. Also, i do not understand certain things in p5 and p6 which i was hoping to ask you. thank you and if you can, could you try messaging me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending