The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 01/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also just from mocks which I've done of last years papers, the TV show on BBC1 Inside the Commons really helped to provide good examples :cool:
So I'm retaking this exam, because I got a D last year and I'm kind of confused... because I don't remember what the contents of the topics.... But I know that I will be focusing on democracy and elections
You still have a month. If I was you I would leave out the Judiciary and work on Parliament. The other two are big units; concentrate on them.
Reply 23
Original post by CharlyMim
You still have a month. If I was you I would leave out the Judiciary and work on Parliament. The other two are big units; concentrate on them.

isn't it 2 months.....exams are in june?

So you recommend Parliament, PM and Judiciary?
Hey Guys, I do this course as well...

My teacher suggested that we revise 3 topics thoroughly for unit 1. But I'm pretty sure I want to do Democracy and Elections, with Pressure groups as my back up.

For unit 2, he suggested that we revise all four topics because we don't know which topic is going to be the 40 marker, and which will be the standard a, b, c question.
My school and peers have suggested to just do Parliament, PM and Constitution. It leaves my class with more time to revise if we miss out Judicary
Reply 26
Our school is blanking out Judiciary aswell.. no one ever picks that topic aswell according to examiner reports.
Original post by Pato1
Our school is blanking out Judiciary aswell.. no one ever picks that topic aswell according to examiner reports.

Judiciary is a generally difficult topic due to the large content of it. One must really like Law to get the hang of it cause you need to know several acts passed and role of judges on great detail that may be the reason (and most likely is the reason) why not many do it in the exam
Reply 28
Original post by Pato1

How much revision have you done?
Reply 29
Original post by MichelleKazi
Judiciary is a generally difficult topic due to the large content of it. One must really like Law to get the hang of it cause you need to know several acts passed and role of judges on great detail that may be the reason (and most likely is the reason) why not many do it in the exam

Yeah I agree with that

That topic looks geared only to those who take Law A-Level....

Is it just me who finds unit 2 hard?
Original post by xxvine
Yeah I agree with that

That topic looks geared only to those who take Law A-Level....

Is it just me who finds unit 2 hard?

No I agree with you. I too find unit 2 harder than unit 1. But to be fair I have done more unit 1 practice so I guess by June I'll be good at both units as I'd have done sufficient practice for both :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by MichelleKazi
No I agree with you. I too find unit 2 harder than unit 1. But to be fair I have done more unit 1 practice so I guess by June I'll be good at both units as I'd have done sufficient practice for both :smile:

How much revision have you done and how are you revising?
Original post by xxvine
How much revision have you done and how are you revising?

I have finished unit 1 revision, I'll go back over it in Easter and closer to the exam. I'm only doing 2 topics and those are Elections and Democracy. For Unit 2, I've done revision for PM and Cabinet. Still need to decide the other 2 topics. I am revising via:
1. reading the text book and making notes
2. keeping up to date with news headlines and stuff (helps a lot with unit 2)
3. Past papers + examiner reports
4. Online revision resources (Get revising, Student room etc)
Reply 33
In reality Unit 2 is heavily reliant on real world news. If you stack your exam responses with

Point
Real world example
What it shows

Throughout your answers you should be solid.

Luckily our exams are after the general election so I would use that period wisely and stack up on every bit of news around then
Reply 34
Original post by Pato1
In reality Unit 2 is heavily reliant on real world news. If you stack your exam responses with

Point
Real world example
What it shows

Throughout your answers you should be solid.

Luckily our exams are after the general election so I would use that period wisely and stack up on every bit of news around then

We've also been advised to get an internet folder of good articles from Broadsheets of stuff relevant to Unit 2, so for example HRA cases or controversial Bill readings :u:
For Unit 1 I am revising Democracy and Elections and then Pressure Groups for back up. I'm going to stay away from Parties because I find it the hardest. How do you revise for Unit 1? I've only started revising for Politics today because I had some coursework due in today and my Politics exams start 11 days after my others have finished.

When did you start revising? and which topics are you doing for Unit 1? and Unit 2?
Im about to start revising.
For unit 1, was going to do Pm and Cabinet, Pressure groups and democracy and elections.
Reply 37
Original post by rebeccar16
For Unit 1 I am revising Democracy and Elections and then Pressure Groups for back up. I'm going to stay away from Parties because I find it the hardest. How do you revise for Unit 1? I've only started revising for Politics today because I had some coursework due in today and my Politics exams start 11 days after my others have finished.

When did you start revising? and which topics are you doing for Unit 1? and Unit 2?

Yeah political parties seem to be the hardest....my tutor said ignore that one and focus on three if you can.
Learning two topics is risky especially if the questions are naff lol.
Reply 38
Original post by LaurenceJ96
For unit 1, was going to do Pm and Cabinet, Pressure groups and democracy and elections.

Unit 1 you have to learn 3....you cannot get away with learning 2 topics.
Reply 39
Original post by LaurenceJ96

How are you revising?

Note taking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending