The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Which accommodation to apply for?

Hi,

So I accepted my offer for BA Criminology at the University of Greenwich and have got all my finance and things sorted and ready to go, my last decision is where I'm going to live for my first year.

I have 2 options in my head, a standard room at Daniel Dafoe or try and get a large room at Cutty Sark, my loan covers both but I don't know which to choose.

If anyone has any advice then that would be great! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Definitely go for the large room at Cutty Sark. I'm living here now and I worked it out at £20 a night which is so overpriced, but of all halls this is found to be the best!
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: I've been struggling to make a decision since coming to the open days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prcy
Definitely go for the large room at Cutty Sark. I'm living here now and I worked it out at £20 a night which is so overpriced, but of all halls this is found to be the best!

Besides the price, what do people say about the Daniel Defoe halls?
Reply 4
Daniel Defoe are amazing, but very overpriced! Expect to pay anywhere around £160 per week.
Original post by Sha-boom
Daniel Defoe are amazing, but very overpriced! Expect to pay anywhere around £160 per week.

Can/do people have good flat parties in Daniel Defoe or do they mostly only happen in the Cutty Sark halls?
Reply 6
They don't happen at Cutty Sark at all really, but I would suggest going somewhere where it doesn't. You have the option to get a good nights sleep (when you need to) and partying because there are a few good clubs a stones throw away! Also, there are other halls close.
Original post by prcy
They don't happen at Cutty Sark at all really, but I would suggest going somewhere where it doesn't. You have the option to get a good nights sleep (when you need to) and partying because there are a few good clubs a stones throw away! Also, there are other halls close.

Oh that's where I got told they all were! Well I think I'm going to choose Daniel Defoe anyway just cause they're the nicest! How far away are the clubs cause I looked around on Google Maps and only saw pubs/bars really, do you have to go more into central?
Reply 8
There are no clubs in Greenwich, which is seen as a positive to most... Greenwich is seen as a "dainty London town" in a sense, whereas places like Soho/even New Cross are more for going out!

So in response to your question, yes you will have to go further afield into Central, but you'll get bored of clubs soon enough. You'll find that going to the pub (Belushis/The Mitre etc) with your class/flat mates is a much better use of your time!
Reply 9
Plenty of clubs are easy to reach from greenwich because there are good 24hr transport links.. If your going for Daniel Defoe the cheapest rooms are the Twin Bed Flat Shares as they are only £127 per week.. anything else you can expect to pay more..

In terms of flat parties, there are loads at Avery Hill, which there is a Uni bus that goes inbetween the campus'
I would apply for defoe, I lived Cutty Sark last year and currently live in defoe, and it is just so much nicer. Cutty Sark is ok, but you pay for what you get. Everything in Defoe in new (well.. 1 year old now) where as when I was in Cutty Sark, everything was old, our oven was rubbish, the bedroom furniture just seemed old and outdated.
Reply 11
which accommodation would you say has the best atmosphere for parting etc
Reply 12
Original post by Sōra
which accommodation would you say has the best atmosphere for parting etc

I would say Avery Hill, as there is more of a 'student' atmosphere as its alot more campusy.

I studied at Greenwich but lived at Avery because I liked the campus feel.
Hi, just a quick question, if i was to live in shared accommodation in Avery hill, do we share the cost of accommodation? or we have to pay the full amount individually. Because although I sent a email to Avery hill accommodation, they just replied in a very vague manner.
Reply 14
For Avery Hill accommodation there are no shared rooms available only shared flats. The flats hold between 4-9 people depending on with court you live in.
You can pick between shared bathrooms or En-suite.
You pay individually for you room. Eg: £115.99 a week.

You can see a full list of the hall fees here:
www.gre.ac.uk/study/accommodation/campus/hall-fees

Original post by JerryWang
Hi, just a quick question, if i was to live in shared accommodation in Avery hill, do we share the cost of accommodation? or we have to pay the full amount individually. Because although I sent a email to Avery hill accommodation, they just replied in a very vague manner.
Original post by Smarten
For Avery Hill accommodation there are no shared rooms available only shared flats. The flats hold between 4-9 people depending on with court you live in.
You can pick between shared bathrooms or En-suite.
You pay individually for you room. Eg: £115.99 a week.

You can see a full list of the hall fees here:
www.gre.ac.uk/study/accommodation/campus/hall-fees

Thank you :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending