The Student Room Group

How can I achieve 100 UMS in all AS subjects

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on how I can achieve 100 UMS in all of my subjects?

I'm currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography and I was wondering how I should plan out my revision?

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by creativebuzz
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on how I can achieve 100 UMS in all of my subjects?

I'm currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography and I was wondering how I should plan out my revision?

:smile:

If I did know, I would do it myself. Sorry, can't help.
Reply 2
Past papers and more past papers. It's going to have to be trial and error at first, but you have to find out how you study best to create an effective revision table. You might want to post on threads for exams to find others who can give you specific advice, I don't do any of your subjects, so can only give general advice...

All the best
grind out every possible past paper, practice paper, mock exam. Get acquainted with every style of possible question. Work at perfecting your responses for each and every one. If it's maths you can mark it yourself - but don't be kind. Be as pedantic as possible until solutions are not only reached, but are expressed as clearly as possible without wasting time.
For the economics and geography perfecting your answers is more difficult - because Ideally you need teachers to mark it. unless you're going to memorise mark schemes - but that seems illegitimate and not very flexible when it gets down to exam time. Due to that you need to not only know the theory but what it means then when and how to apply it. So make notes, break it down, dissect the information so that you know every key word's exact definition and where it all fits. After that you need to know question structures. at sixth form level there's always a structure for most types of " X mark" questions. Get teachers to give you exemplar answers to different questions that score perfect marks for every type. Once again dissect the style, then be able to replicate and apply it to other questions on any other possible topic.
Now you're ready to grind away at past, mock and practice papers. For marking if you can get it marked by two or even 3 teachers / previous exam markers (my old head of history was an ex exam marker, she could be brutal, but she was fair) . That way you won't be victim to one inadequate / bored / frustrated by volume marker.
As for attitude during this, if you don't get full marks, you should be metaphorically hunting for the reason why not. What did you miss, is your language sub standard? spelling off? missing a key point? going off on a tangent? stretching your argument too much? pinpoint the reason, then fix it - take out the paragraph and re-write it more concisely or add in information as required. show just the paragraph to the teacher, just ask them if this would have added whatever you were missing to the max mark? then move on.
As for timing, you should have probably started already, you have 4-5 months? and you're through half the material, so there's even harder stuff to come.

Even with all this work to improve your chances it won't guarentee it. Written exams in particular are extremely difficult because its all down to the examiner's judgement, whereas maths has a more exact mark scheme.
Past papers for all, yes, I agree.

Also making clear revision notes and planning (for Econ & Geog) ALL the possible questions that could come up - might not be fully achievable but if you work towards - e.g. rather than learning content for a topic, say 'Biodiversity' for Geog you could think what questions are likely on the exam - plan possible answers as a starting point, then revise and add knowledge/content and then check mark schemes / any additional reading to see what you could further add.

This works fairly well for me - I don't get full UMS in everything but if you're aiming for any grade that would be a great strategy I think! :smile:
Full UMS is just about not making stupid mistakes which is a function of practice, at least in maths etc.
With past papers, and knowing all the concepts very well, you can guarantee high 90s (this is for Maths and FM, no idea for essay-subjects). To get 100%, you need to be extremely vigilant during the exam, and check over everything multiple times. It's partly luck, as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
With past papers, and knowing all the concepts very well, you can guarantee high 90s (this is for Maths and FM, no idea for essay-subjects). To get 100%, you need to be extremely vigilant during the exam, and check over everything multiple times. It's partly luck, as well.

As I'm doing further maths (C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1 and M1), how many past papers should I complete a day? (be strict)

Quick Reply

Latest