The Student Room Group

LSE or Warwick

Currently I am considering applying to either LSE or Warwick in 2016. However I have done terribly in my GCSES but now I am doing incredibly better in A levels. At GCSE I recieved 2As 4Bs and 6Cs (I know it's terrible!). The 2 As were in Maths and Further Maths. For AS level I currently study Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics. I am predicted all As and next year I plan on keeping all 4 subjects. IF i am to be predicted and recieve all A*s next year, with an incredible personal statement, would it be possible for me to recieve offers for Economics by one of either LSE or Warwick?:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 260498
Currently I am considering applying to either LSE or Warwick in 2016. However I have done terribly in my GCSES but now I am doing incredibly better in A levels. At GCSE I recieved 2As 4Bs and 6Cs (I know it's terrible!). The 2 As were in Maths and Further Maths. For AS level I currently study Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics. I am predicted all As and next year I plan on keeping all 4 subjects. IF i am to be predicted and recieve all A*s next year, with an incredible personal statement, would it be possible for me to recieve offers for Economics by one of either LSE or Warwick?:frown:

Well if you were predicted 3 A stars and got 4 As without a shadow of a doubt you would get the offer from Warwick. From LSE it's more hit and miss because of the competition, but you have five choices so give it a shot.

If you perform well in your A levels universities will overlook GCSEs, even Oxbridge (though probably more Oxford) would judge you as a candidate who has turned round their academic performance, rather than as a lesser option for them.
Reply 2
Original post by zimbo97
Well if you were predicted 3 A stars and got 4 As without a shadow of a doubt you would get the offer from Warwick. From LSE it's more hit and miss because of the competition, but you have five choices so give it a shot.

If you perform well in your A levels universities will overlook GCSEs, even Oxbridge (though probably more Oxford) would judge you as a candidate who has turned round their academic performance, rather than as a lesser option for them.

Should I reply to both or should I just stick to Warwick?
Also for an amazing personal statement would you recommend anything I should spend time doing other than reading books and getting work experience?
You seem just like me, I may get a few more Bs, but i don't know I find GCSE's boring,

i I think if you get 3*/4 that should be perfect for Warwick, however LSE can be a bit judgemental, they do not interview you!!! So your gonna have to rely on a flawless statement, or just luck :smile:! Best of luck, if you achieve those grades maths says you are likely to end up in a top end uni, so don't stress too much about unis for now, and just aim high for those grades!
Reply 4
Original post by 260498
Should I reply to both or should I just stick to Warwick?
Also for an amazing personal statement would you recommend anything I should spend time doing other than reading books and getting work experience?

What do you mean 'reply'? DO you mean apply?
Reply 5
Original post by Calzs34
You seem just like me, I may get a few more Bs, but i don't know I find GCSE's boring,

i I think if you get 3*/4 that should be perfect for Warwick, however LSE can be a bit judgemental, they do not interview you!!! So your gonna have to rely on a flawless statement, or just luck :smile:! Best of luck, if you achieve those grades maths says you are likely to end up in a top end uni, so don't stress too much about unis for now, and just aim high for those grades!

Thank you! Slight relief to hear it from someone else! Hopefully I can get into one of them! I'm hoping that with the grades and PS I might be able to just slip in! Are you considering applying to both also?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yes! Apply:colondollar: that's what it was supposed to say!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You more likely to receive an offer from Warwick but LSE is probably unlikely. The type of students that get rejected by LSE is just crazy.
Reply 8
Original post by Raymat
You more likely to receive an offer from Warwick but LSE is probably unlikely. The type of students that get rejected by LSE is just crazy.

LSE has an undeniable reputation for rejecting people who would be accepted by literally every other uni! But its also why their reputation is unbelievably incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you should apply, with those grades and predicted you deffo have a chance. But LSE is significantly harder to get into whereas Warwick is more lenient and I have heard more people say they enjoyed their experience there, so I wouldn't waste a application space on LSE.
Original post by 260498

Why are you considering LSE and Warwick?

You have to pick the University that you want to attend because it is the right one for you not because it has the best reputation.
As for your question - nobody can tell you that you will or will not get an offer from LSE. Have a read of a few threads in the LSE forum - like this one 0 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2730573&x=17&y=12 and you will see how incredibly difficult it is to get an offer from LSE.

My opinion and reasons for my choices/non choices are - I didn't want to apply to OxBridge against the wishes of my tutors in college. I didn't want to apply to Durham, Exeter or Warwick because of the travel involved and I am not doing STEP. I applied to LSE, Bath, UCL, Bristol and Cardiff and I have offers from all of them, apart from Bath. I will pick the one that is right for me and that is what you should do.
Original post by zimbo97

Original post by 260498

Think the average GCSE grades on Warwick Economics/PPE is 7 A*s and virtually everyone has a band of A*/A grades at A-level, I am not sure where definitely getting an offer is coming from. You will stand a reasonable chance if you get those grades, whether you get those, remains to be seen.
Reply 12
Original post by EllainKahlo
I think you should apply, with those grades and predicted you deffo have a chance. But LSE is significantly harder to get into whereas Warwick is more lenient and I have heard more people say they enjoyed their experience there, so I wouldn't waste a application space on LSE.

Warwick it is then! Hopefully everything goes to plan now so that I actually get in! If you have any tips for my PS or revision ect, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamjamjamT

You have to pick the University that you want to attend because it is the right one for you not because it has the best reputation.
As for your question - nobody can tell you that you will or will not get an offer from LSE. Have a read of a few threads in the LSE forum - like this one 0 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2730573&x=17&y=12 and you will see how incredibly difficult it is to get an offer from LSE.

My opinion and reasons for my choices/non choices are - I didn't want to apply to OxBridge against the wishes of my tutors in college. I didn't want to apply to Durham, Exeter or Warwick because of the travel involved and I am not doing STEP. I applied to LSE, Bath, UCL, Bristol and Cardiff and I have offers from all of them, apart from Bath. I will pick the one that is right for me and that is what you should do.

Hi i got rejected from Lse today.. reason was my As results which were AAAC.. should I reapply next year ?.. I got offers from Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield
Reply 14
Original post by JamjamjamT

Those are the two universities I've always wanted to go to. Not purely based for the reputation but because of the people who come from there and the legacies they hold. I understand that a lot of it is because of their reputation but I'm sure I'd enjoy it at both. Hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Deep456
Think the average GCSE grades on Warwick Economics/PPE is 7 A*s and virtually everyone has a band of A*/A grades at A-level, I am not sure where definitely getting an offer is coming from. You will stand a reasonable chance if you get those grades, whether you get those, remains to be seen.

I just wanted to see if there was a possibility and I hope that me getting the grades will lead to an offer from one of them. That's the goal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 260498
Warwick it is then! Hopefully everything goes to plan now so that I actually get in! If you have any tips for my PS or revision ect, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In your personal statement Warwick really like if you can mention any awards you have won and why. Also, work experience which directly relates to the course you're applying for. With revision, just do it from the minute you get taught new content and make sure you're ready to be tested always. So you're going to be revising, a lot.
Original post by 260498
I just wanted to see if there was a possibility and I hope that me getting the grades will lead to an offer from one of them. That's the goal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, depending on your circumstances, they will overlook your GCSEs. Just focus on getting those grades.
Original post by 260498

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have heard that Warwick give out loads and loads of offers almost to everyone who applies because people might not get the grades or pick other Unis. I do not know how true that is. I don't know where you are from but you need to do way more research on your Universities to find out things like the location, student satisfaction, graduate prospects etc etc.
Original post by Deep456
Yeah, depending on your circumstances, they will overlook your GCSEs. Just focus on getting those grades.

LSE have been rejecting people this cycle because of their GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest