The Student Room Group

Black girls & TSR.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by catsis
No, you too are ashamed of your views and so are hiding behind the 'anonymous'.

I'm not ashamed of my hair. I love it. I wear weaves in the winter because it's really cold outside and my hair would require extra attention to be healthy and bouncy. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take care of it properly so I prefer to protect it instead.

I get good hair as well. I just received a bundle that cost me £125. So yeah.

I've been natural for a year and I doesn't cost me a dime, I'd use that £125 for a festival instead of some dead lady's hair sown to my hair, ew mate. But hey that's my opinion

p.s. i went anon 'cause its mysterious :wink:
Original post by AnharM
South Asian guys are the most attractive? What? Have you seen South Asians? O.O

Most don't rate South Asian guys if I'm being honest. I'm fairly attractive, but even then, I still struggle with girls from other races, but I'm fine getting South Asian girls.

To me they're a better version of white guys. White guys are pretty boring im even less attracted to black men than white men I like a combination and Indian men tend to have almost everything white guys have just not boring in appearance both Indian women are very beautiful too but I think the men are more attractive it's what I think of for tall dark and handsome. Plus there are some characteristics that are pretty masculine and suits the men well and somehow it still works for the women.

But like I said I prefer intermediate and I know a lot girls who do.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been natural for a year and I doesn't cost me a dime, I'd use that £125 for a festival instead of some dead lady's hair sown to my hair, ew mate. But hey that's my opinion

Yep, that's what you would do, spend money on a festival. She prefers to spend it on hair, priorities.
And dead lady's hair? Never that boo boo.
Yep, that's what you would do, spend money on a festival. She prefers to spend it on hair, priorities.
And dead lady's hair? Never that boo boo.

Thanks for erm... repeating what I just said hun. Why are people so defensive about weaves, its like a dirty word
Firstly, you obviously have no knowledge about this situation but sit back while I enlighten you. I NEVER said black hair was hard to manage, I said weaves aren't not bad to manage and on average they're easier and quick out the door. Either way, I did state reasons why we wear them. This issue really annoys me too, where people think they can tell black girls what to wear or not ****ing wear, ignoring that other races are doing the same or something similar in other aspects or bringing some new bull**** as to why.

I don't like to mention my race in posts because It shouldn't validate my points- but you're suggesting I don't know this topic, and as someone who is a black female with perhaps "4C" natural hair- I think I know better than a lot of people, from experience.
If you knew how to look after your hair then you wouldn't feel the need to wear a weave which is easier to manage.

No, black women can do what they like. However, the fact remains that there are deep issues behind black hair. Not white hair etc- but black hair. And in fact for years black women have been told that their hair isn't nice, likewise their features and skin (which is proven by the black doll study) and so of course- as a result you're going to change yourself to be accepted. But I disagree with the changing yourself, because you are not inferior.

Now, the first part about black girls imitating their oppressors is bull****. I've stated reasons why black girls wear weaves in my OP, being a black girl myself. I also said that it's possible that some black girls try to get straight hair and **** (i.e conformity of some sort like you've mentioned) to look more like other races esp white girls, because they're deemed beautiful by the media.

Yes, the fact that black women imitate is a significant part of my post/ what i believe why a significant amount of black women wear weave. I don't see what is "bull" about imitating your oppressors. It happened during slavery and it still happens till this day. Internalised racism exists too.

The last paragraph is bull**** as well. Our hair is beautiful, and many of us show it off happily. Some of us rock weaves and braids as well, NO ONE is ashamed of our hair lols, we have loads of natural blogs and I have my natural hair out a lot as I need to let my edges breathe.

I'm sorry, but a lot of people are ashamed of their hair. They do not view it as beautiful which is why they hide behind weaves. If you liked your own hair you most probably wouldn't spend a significant portion of your life wearing hair that didn't reflect your own hair.

Nope, it's an ignorant notion to think that because you wear weaves or straight hair you don't like yourself. It's ridiculous logic that I've debunked in my OP. Do you straighten your curly hair? Do you have naturally pink or red lips like the whites? Do you wear pink or red lipsticks? DOES THAT MEAN YOU DONT LIKE YOURSELF?

So let me break this down.
The weaves that a significant amount of women wear do not reflect their hair texture. How do I know this- well their edges suggest their hair isn't that straight. They wear the hair because they feel it makes them attractive. This is because society says that that type of hair is beautiful. Therefore, they probably regard their own hair as not beautiful. I can accept that some use it for protective styling, but a lot- wear weaves consistently- hiding their own hair and never wearing something that replicates their own texture which, if they truly loved their hair probably wouldn't happen.

It is the frequency of wearing the weave, they type of hair and the cost- and how much the black hair industry is worth- that leads me to believe that it is linked to not loving yourself.

Straightening curly/kinky hair- tends to be temporary, unlike relaxers which use extremely harmful chemicals to alter your hair texture permanently. Relaxers, I see as linked to conformity, and not knowing how to look after your own hair and not liking yourself. Knowing the risks associated with relaxing ones hair and still relaxing suggests there is something wrong.

Maybe it's the black girls you've been around. No one I know pays that much for hair if they're struggling. No student I know who doesn't have that much money goes over premium 2. That's a sweeping generalisation saying we wear hats to hide our hair or we need the hair. I wear hats when my hair looks ratchet and I haven't combed or oiled or washed it, so do all my white friends when they're hair is greasy or they haven't washed it in days.

No. I was saying that people often behave like they need the hair. Like its like brushing your teeth where it is a necessity. And how many of these weave wearing people go round without their weave?
There's a difference between wearing your hat when your hair is dirty and wearing your hat when its in its natural state. To deny that some women hide their hair when they've removed their weave is silly. Because they do.

Again, black history has nothing to do with this and you're making it 100x deeper than it needs to be. I'm sorry but if people can tan and wear extensions or wear Afros and the sort, black girls should be allowed to live and wear weaves if they want to.

You can do what you want, yes. I'm sorry but in comparison how often do white people wear afros, than black people wear wigs and weave? Black people have been told for years that what they are is not acceptable, which is why people have issues when skin lightening products are used. Because it suggests that they feel their skin colour is inferior. Not only that, but these products used are usually harmful. Wit white people, it's not a question of them being told for years that their skin colour or features are not nice, thus, the motivation behind the action is different.

I do think people should do what they like, but I think they also shouldn't pretend that they're doing it out of freewill, and acknowledge the huge influence society has on their decisions.

Its their choice as with all females, and they're entitled to that right. Our hair is nappy and beautiful and unique and I wouldn't trade it for the world. However, I would like to switch it up once in a while and no one can say the damnedest thing about it. I find it utterly disgusting when black girls join the people on here to put down other black girls for something as trivial as weave, but ignore other races doing the same **** or worse. Where is the equality? Where is the freedom?

Why would you call your hair nappy- despite the derogative meaning behind that word? If you're this "strong" and "unchangeable" then why create this thread complaining about it all. Surely, it shouldn't bother you.

No I am not putting down black girls. I am trying to highlight how ridiculous weaves and relaxers are and how bad the problem is. Why on earth should people spends so much money for their hair? Why should you have to wear another texture to feel beautiful or good? I mentioned in my OP I appreciate the versatility of weave. But people often go around pretending that it grows out their scalp and never showing their real hair, because in my opinion they are ashamed of it. I think their self esteems need to increase and they need to accept themselves instead of trying to imitate what society tells them is beautiful.
Reply 65
I'm going anon because people get defensive about this issue and I don't want negative PMs etc

To suggest I'm ashamed of my views is ridiculous. My views preach acceptance and loving of your own self- not trying to hide and disguise your hair.

I mentioned in my OP- i appreciate the versatility of weaves- but I'm sorry, the fact that you are unable to take care of your hair/ have the time to is disappointing. The fact that you said it takes too long- It takes me 10 minutes to do my hair- I plait it everynight (takes 5 mins) (add a little olive oil and leave in) and then i undo in the morning and put in a bun or puff. Takes no time. AND I have extremely kinky hair- but the plaiting at night makes it soft and easy to comb. Not hard.

I'm sorry but £125 for hair is too much. It actually makes me sad thinking about what people could have spent that on instead. But it's your choice. And also - "good hair" I'm sure whatever comes out of your head is good hair.

They eradicated negs ages ago. Where have you been? lol

Trust me when I say, I wish I had the time to take care of my hair. Every month I leave it out for a week or two because I get too depressed that I barely get to see it over the Winter period. I have very curly, long and voluminous hair and I can't moisturise and plait it in less than 1 hour. It just can't be done. I can't wait to be done with uni so that I have a bit more time to take care of it.

I tried going natural. Did the big chop and everything but it didn't work out. But I am glad I went through that journey though. I learnt so much about my hair.
Reply 66
can someone condense it for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like to mention my race in posts because It shouldn't validate my points- but you're suggesting I don't know this topic, and as someone who is a black female with perhaps "4C" natural hair- I think I know better than a lot of people, from experience.
If you knew how to look after your hair then you wouldn't feel the need to wear a weave which is easier to manage.

No, black women can do what they like. However, the fact remains that there are deep issues behind black hair. Not white hair etc- but black hair. And in fact for years black women have been told that their hair isn't nice, likewise their features and skin (which is proven by the black doll study) and so of course- as a result you're going to change yourself to be accepted. But I disagree with the changing yourself, because you are not inferior.

Yes, the fact that black women imitate is a significant part of my post/ what i believe why a significant amount of black women wear weave. I don't see what is "bull" about imitating your oppressors. It happened during slavery and it still happens till this day. Internalised racism exists too.

I'm sorry, but a lot of people are ashamed of their hair. They do not view it as beautiful which is why they hide behind weaves. If you liked your own hair you most probably wouldn't spend a significant portion of your life wearing hair that didn't reflect your own hair.

So let me break this down.
The weaves that a significant amount of women wear do not reflect their hair texture. How do I know this- well their edges suggest their hair isn't that straight. They wear the hair because they feel it makes them attractive. This is because society says that that type of hair is beautiful. Therefore, they probably regard their own hair as not beautiful. I can accept that some use it for protective styling, but a lot- wear weaves consistently- hiding their own hair and never wearing something that replicates their own texture which, if they truly loved their hair probably wouldn't happen.

It is the frequency of wearing the weave, they type of hair and the cost- and how much the black hair industry is worth- that leads me to believe that it is linked to not loving yourself.

Straightening curly/kinky hair- tends to be temporary, unlike relaxers which use extremely harmful chemicals to alter your hair texture permanently. Relaxers, I see as linked to conformity, and not knowing how to look after your own hair and not liking yourself. Knowing the risks associated with relaxing ones hair and still relaxing suggests there is something wrong.

No. I was saying that people often behave like they need the hair. Like its like brushing your teeth where it is a necessity. And how many of these weave wearing people go round without their weave?
There's a difference between wearing your hat when your hair is dirty and wearing your hat when its in its natural state. To deny that some women hide their hair when they've removed their weave is silly. Because they do.

You can do what you want, yes. I'm sorry but in comparison how often do white people wear afros, than black people wear wigs and weave? Black people have been told for years that what they are is not acceptable, which is why people have issues when skin lightening products are used. Because it suggests that they feel their skin colour is inferior. Not only that, but these products used are usually harmful. Wit white people, it's not a question of them being told for years that their skin colour or features are not nice, thus, the motivation behind the action is different.

I do think people should do what they like, but I think they also shouldn't pretend that they're doing it out of freewill, and acknowledge the huge influence society has on their decisions.

Why would you call your hair nappy- despite the derogative meaning behind that word? If you're this "strong" and "unchangeable" then why create this thread complaining about it all. Surely, it shouldn't bother you.

No I am not putting down black girls. I am trying to highlight how ridiculous weaves and relaxers are and how bad the problem is. Why on earth should people spends so much money for their hair? Why should you have to wear another texture to feel beautiful or good? I mentioned in my OP I appreciate the versatility of weave. But people often go around pretending that it grows out their scalp and never showing their real hair, because in my opinion they are ashamed of it. I think their self esteems need to increase and they need to accept themselves instead of trying to imitate what society tells them is beautiful.

Do other races not have straight hair? You fail to see that most black girls will get Brazilian, Peruvian, Indian, Mongolian, but very rarely european hair. There's nothing deep rooted with black history other than girls just wanna have fun with their hair.

The fact that you would think they don't love themselves for that reason is absurd. Black women get so much ****, even from fellow black women like you with arguments that make 0 sense whatsoever.

That's another stupid assumption that leads me to ask if you're ever out of your house. Loads of women wear their natural hair, braids and weaves. Given, some women wear weaves all the time, but that has nothing to do with not loving their natural hair. Some women would say it has to do with the time, or they're growing their natural hair. A small percentage probably don't love their hair. But you can't say black women in general don't love themselves.

Erm, the cost? Let people do what the hell they want. If they feel they have the money and will spend it on bomb hair, let them. The texture situation is soooo stupid, I mean a lot of other races have borrowed **** from other races, even ours and don't get put down as people who don't love themselves

The whole straightening/curling hair and makeup is exactly the same **** you spewed to me that I've regurgitated back to you. Straightening/curling hair is temporal yes, so are weaves. People don't hack their hair off because they don't like it. They sew something else in to be versatile. Get it straight. Same goes for your lips. If you always wear red/pink lipstick/gloss YOU DONT LOVE YOURSELF AND YOURE TRYING TO COPY THE COLONIAL MASTERS. Do you see how absurd that is?

That's where we are that's right now. SOME women hide their hair when it's not in a weave. NOT black women in general. Hey, some girls can't leave the house without their tan. Or hey, I can't leave the house without my eyebrows threaded. It's an aesthetic thing, and if black women are given **** for that then we all should be for other things. It's incredibly hypocritical to just focus on one race.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but black people who wear weaves do it out of free will. Nothing to do with being told our hair isn't acceptable. Half the people I know have beautiful natural hair and will always flaunt it on Instagram and in real life when they have it out. Everyone knows black hair is beautiful, don't act like people don't know that and we're all searching for the beautiful white hair for our head. I've said in my OP and severally that society does have an influence on some girls, including black girls wanting to change to fit it's definition of beautiful.

I created this thread for people like you. I thought it'd be a person of another race (I'm starting to think this is behind anonymous) that'll come here and state reasons why black women can't do something they'd like with their hair. Again, SOME people spend that much because they have the money and they can do whatever the **** they'd like with it. The fact that they try to leave the edges out or have closures to make it look natural is an aesthetic thing and you damn well know that. No one likes tracks showing in the front cause it's ugly, that's why. I've talked about the self esteem issue in my OP, that yep, sure some people try to change to fit the media's definition of beautiful - white girls. You don't see people giving other races **** for tanning/bleaching and I think you don't see what's happening here. They've cornered black girls and singled out of the mix for hate, all the while telling them "you can't do that to your hair". Afro wigs and braids in other race girls does not occur often, but it does. You can't go and tell them they don't love themselves. Or people who dye their natural hair a different colour.

Like I said, you're making it 100x deeper than it needs to be. The motivation behind the action is the same, aesthetic pleasure and versatility. Nothing more. You're doing the opposite of what you think you're doing for black women. You're not building self esteem, you're putting people down for doing what they'd like with their hair. You're essentially trying to take their freewill/choice away from them, and I'm sorry but that will not happen in this day and age.
(edited 9 years ago)
Never even heard of weaves in my life before.
Original post by catsis
They eradicated negs ages ago. Where have you been? lol

Trust me when I say, I wish I had the time to take care of my hair. Every month I leave it out for a week or two because I get too depressed that I barely get to see it over the Winter period. I have very curly, long and voluminous hair and I can't moisturise and plait it in less than 1 hour. It just can't be done. I can't wait to be done with uni so that I have a bit more time to take care of it.

I tried going natural. Did the big chop and everything but it didn't work out. But I am glad I went through that journey though. I learnt so much about my hair.

Have you tried putting it in 2-4 Bantu knots at night? It works wonders for my hair, I get no tangles at all and it's far easier than plaiting!:smile:
I actually had to stop reading the threads and stick to the medicine forum. They were getting way too much and I didn't see why the mods were waiting so long to take them down. The only reason I'm still on tsr is because of the medicine forum ONLY. I wonder how many others had to leave because of the racist threads esp against black women and Muslims.

Funny because in my short life I've only had one black guy find me attractive. The rest white/not black. But yet after reading those threads, they made me feel ugly. Asking stupid questions like why don't black men find me attractive etc..

Please don't feel bad. People out there will like you for you. If you don't have any other reason to then get of tsr or stay on the sections specific to your self betterment.

If you want you can PM me x
You're complaining about people on TSR insulting and generalizing black girls, yet you're generalizing the entire TSR community in return..

I've only ever seen a small portion of posts about race. It's not too hard to ignore them.
Original post by TheDaylighter
Have you tried putting it in 2-4 Bantu knots at night? It works wonders for my hair, I get no tangles at all and it's far easier than plaiting!:smile:

Lol I've been natural for 2 and a half years. I'm actually thinking about texlaxing. My hair just isn't working. Recently I started going out more, hence doing it more and I style it beaut with braid outs. Always defined etc. But my edges are thinning and my hair just breaks too much so I get very little to no length retention which usually has to be trimmed after a while because of ssk and split ends.

If you have very kinky hair then I'd think twice about getting sucked into this natural hair thing. It will dishearten you a lot. I go on the lhcf which is pretty much to go to place for black women and their hair care and a lot are relaxing or chopping it off because they are realising that natural hair for kinky hair textures is no game and after a while becomes a chore esp if you want it to grow.
A lot of the big bloggers and you tubers pushing natural hair have curly(!) Not kinky(!) Hair like most black women do.

This is to the OP. I actually do think that there is an issue with weaves and as a black female whose hair research has become a bit of a hobby. I've noticed certain patterns amongst black females that do correlate weaves with not liking oneself. Please don't feel bad about this though. But it is something that I have noticed with some women. I don't know if this thread is the best place to go through it but I has seen this.
I'm not saying that if my hair was falling out I wouldn't go for the weaves but while my hair is still fairly healthy I see no reason for me to depend on hair from an Asian women's head.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Lol I've been natural for 2 and a half years. I'm actually thinking about texlaxing. My hair just isn't working. Recently I started going out more, hence doing it more and I style it beaut with braid outs. Always defined etc. But my edges are thinning and my hair just breaks too much so I get very little to no length retention which usually has to be trimmed after a while because of ssk and split ends.

If you have very kinky hair then I'd think twice about getting sucked into this natural hair thing. It will dishearten you a lot. I go on the lhcf which is pretty much to go to place for black women and their hair care and a lot are relaxing or chopping it off because they are realising that natural hair for kinky hair textures is no game and after a while becomes a chore esp if you want it to grow.
A lot of the big bloggers and you tubers pushing natural hair have curly(!) Not kinky(!) Hair like most black women do.

Haha I've been natural for a good few years too and before that my hair was only ever texlaxed. After about two years of being natural my hair stated breaking like crazy and I wanted to texlax too but I finally jumped on the protein shampoo bandwagon and it stopped! I'm not saying it'll be the same for your hair but there could be something you haven't tried yet/done in a while that your hair needs?

Although I tend not to style my hair that much so maybe your hair just can't handle all that manipulation on its natural state. I have very kinky hair but all I do is keep it stretched and bun it out out it into two French braids. I kinda sounds like I'm trying to convince you here but I just hope you don't make a decision you'll regret, you do what's right for you boo:hugs:
It's sad that it starts so early

I'm sorry I don't see the point of your post.
Okay, so you have 2b hair- but a lot of women have kinkier textures. I mentioned kinky simply because this hair texture- the one that some call 4c is considered the worst- and its sad because its a lovely hair texture- and so versatile. I didn't need to mention your 2b hair because its not regarded as bad- and people with 2b hair tend not to hide their hair out of shame and conformity- 2b is considered beautiful by society.

And a lot of these women don't like this 4c texture. They'd prefer to have the looser curl pattern etc and that is because it is closer to caucasian hair. And again, this links back to the colonial mentality. You feel inferior because you aren't like your oppressor- you don't have their straight hair- but if you have the looser curl pattern you appear slightly closer to them. All you have to do is look at the number of views for natural hair women and men on youtube. Those with looser curl patterns will have higher views.

I personally, can't stand the hair typing system, because it does create a hierarchy- and people with lower numbered hair are considered to have "good hair."

I was posting, saying that the influence of modern society on the

Thanks

I totally agree with Anonymous #3.
Reply 75
Original post by Nickierose21
To me they're a better version of white guys. White guys are pretty boring im even less attracted to black men than white men I like a combination and Indian men tend to have almost everything white guys have just not boring in appearance both Indian women are very beautiful too but I think the men are more attractive it's what I think of for tall dark and handsome. Plus there are some characteristics that are pretty masculine and suits the men well and somehow it still works for the women.

But like I said I prefer intermediate and I know a lot girls who do.

I see you have good taste in men:biggrin:
I don't understand some people.

How does a black women wearing straight hair make her look white or make her want to look white?! Because she will still look black lol. Also, white women are not the only ones with straight hair
Kiss my teeth is so annoying they live up to expectations majority and they feel the world owes vthem an apology for being black. (Alll black girls I know-don't judge me).

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is to the OP. I actually do think that there is an issue with weaves and as a black female whose hair research has become a bit of a hobby. I've noticed certain patterns amongst black females that do correlate weaves with not liking oneself. Please don't feel bad about this though. But it is something that I have noticed with some women. I don't know if this thread is the best place to go through it but I has seen this.
I'm not saying that if my hair was falling out I wouldn't go for the weaves but while my hair is still fairly healthy I see no reason for me to depend on hair from an Asian women's head.

A bit off topic if you find your hair is breaking thinning, it probably has more to do with the fact your hair is fine (I'm guessing) as opposed to it being kinky. You probably need a lot of protein conditioning to strengthen it. Also, do you comb/brush it a lot?

I think the main issue about black hair is nothing to do with not liking themselves ...the issue is a lot simply do not know how to take care of it or find it difficult/painful/time consuming to style. Also we do not live in a climate which is good for black hair (wind, rain, the cold is terrible for it). That's what a lot of black girls mean when they say they 'don't like' their hair. Plus a lot of girls have had their hair ruined by relaxer from a young age and so 'cover up' the problems with weaves.

Hey :smile: I love that you've used 'some' and I guess that's true for those females. But a lot of people on here see it as black girls in general, and I'm trying to discard that notion because it's 100% false. Of course 'some' black girls see it as a way to be beautiful, and don't like their hair/themselves and what not. Some other race girls do same with other stuff to be beautiful as well, it's not just some black females. Either way, they should be able to choose to do what they want to do, regardless.

I can't really stand how people single out this topic when there's loads or similar trends with other races, and put down EVERY black girl who wears weave, most of them ignorant about it. Do you see what I'm saying here? :smile:

And I think 'depend' is a strong word here. Most people don't depend on it, and they can change btw braids and natural hair. Also even if they wear it frequently, it might be a preference over braids bc it's easy and versatile, or braids pull out your edges and all sorts. Esp the girls growing out their natural hair. I don't really see how that equates to not loving oneself.

And that's you. You wouldn't go for it while your hair is healthy, that up to you. Some other women would. And I think they should be allowed to do what they want without fear of prejudice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending