The Student Room Group

How are you financing uni?

So, just wondering what everyone's plans are to finance their university living costs?
I'm in Scotland, so uni is free. I've come from a private school and am considering proposing to my parents that they give me what they would have spent on school fees to cover living expenses. My proposal is £679 a month from them, and my accommodation paid for. Is that enough to live on do you think? Is it a fair thing to ask of them, and do you think they'll agree? It makes sense because it means I would need to get a job, and can just focus on studies, and it's still less money than what would ordinarily be spent on me.
Opinions and personal experience please share!

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I'm going to finance university by my job and a student loan.

James
(edited 9 years ago)
Money that I won from video game tournaments, and also money i got from the schools insurance from getting my nose broken multiple times :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by EllieO'Keeffe
So, just wondering what everyone's plans are to finance their university living costs?
I'm in Scotland, so uni is free. I've come from a private school and am considering proposing to my parents that they give me what they would have spent on school fees to cover living expenses. My proposal is £679 a month from them, and my accommodation paid for. Is that enough to live on do you think? Is it a fair thing to ask of them, and do you think they'll agree? It makes sense because it means I would need to get a job, and can just focus on studies, and it's still less money than what would ordinarily be spent on me.

You can ask but don't expect.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Money that I won from video game tournaments, and also money i got from the schools insurance from getting my nose broken multiple times :smile:

Possibly the most interesting way! :biggrin::tongue:
Reply 5
if your Accommodation is paid for I'd say having £679 a month is excessive that works out over £169 a week, from my student loan with accommodation subtracted I will be left with about £40 to live on a week and that's for food and going out etc lol but I am going to apply for an overdraft. I'd say having £80-£100 would be very comfortable to live on a week if you could choose and I think it's quite fair to at least ask them considering they've been paying for private school anyway, good luck :smile:
Original post by Lostiee
if your Accommodation is paid for I'd say having £679 a month is excessive that works out over £169 a week, from my student loan with accommodation subtracted I will be left with about £40 to live on a week and that's for food and going out etc lol but I am going to apply for an overdraft. I'd say having £80-£100 would be very comfortable to live on a week if you could choose and I think it's quite fair to at least ask them considering they've been paying for private school anyway, good luck :smile:

Ye I've spent less than £6 a week on food when I've felt particularly stingey. Need money for video games and such lol.
Gubment loaning me the money for tuition, some money for living, some grant money for living and a nice little bursary from the uni. I'm going to buy a Macbook Pro and Ipad Air 2 as soon as that hits my account. BALLIN'
Reply 8

Hi, where are you hoping to go if you dont mind me asking? Because costs vary based on that. For example I'm hoping to go to St Andrews from England, so Im planning on getting a loan to cover the uni cost, then rely on my parents (private school as well) to cover the rest, and my budget will probably be about £700 a month too, which is around £22 a day, I think thats fairly comfortable for a small town, but if you are going to Edinburgh I imagine it would be more! I think its fair to ask, I mean worst case scenario is they say no and you have to get a student loan which compared to normal debt is pretty manageable!
Hardly scraping through on student loans alone :/
Going from Scotland to Nottingham Uni (that's right them fees don't scare me!).

I'll be getting a student loan for maintenance + tuition and possibly a grant because my mother is currently a student (she'd doing a PhD).

The rest will come from my savings trust account (not a lot, like £40k total) and maybe savings from my current job.
Hey,
I'm actually planning on going to St Andrews as well! I wanna go there so badly! I've also applied to Edinburgh too 😊 For Edinburgh I already have an apartment in the city centre as well as my country house, so accommodation is sorted. Uni fees are free for me, as I'm Scottish! How do your parents feel about supporting you?
Hopefully I'll see you in Saint Andrews!
Reply 12
Hey,
I'm actually planning on going to St Andrews as well! I wanna go there so badly! I've also applied to Edinburgh too 😊 For Edinburgh I already have an apartment in the city centre as well as my country house, so accommodation is sorted. Uni fees are free for me, as I'm Scottish! How do your parents feel about supporting you?
Hopefully I'll see you in Saint Andrews!

Oh awesome! Good choice are you going up to visit accom etc on one of the post offer days? Same!! Yeah it's alright for some :wink: they are fine about it actually because like you it's less than they are paying at the moment!! I look forward to it! Feel free to buy me a pint to make up for the 9 grand extra!
Mummy and daddy. :colondollar:
Original post by acbalex
Oh awesome! Good choice are you going up to visit accom etc on one of the post offer days? Same!! Yeah it's alright for some :wink: they are fine about it actually because like you it's less than they are paying at the moment!! I look forward to it! Feel free to buy me a pint to make up for the 9 grand extra!

I haven't even been made an offer yet 😭 and I've seen the accommodation on the last open tour I was on, but it never hurts to see again I suppose. I've only heard back from 2 of my choices so far. What did you apply for? I applied for IR. Haha I think that's a fair deal, hopefully I'll get in so I can but you that drink!
Reply 15
I haven't even been made an offer yet ������ and I've seen the accommodation on the last open tour I was on, but it never hurts to see again I suppose. I've only heard back from 2 of my choices so far. What did you apply for? I applied for IR. Haha I think that's a fair deal, hopefully I'll get in so I can but you that drink!

I'm sure you will! what are you predicted if you don't mind me asking? Well I guess it must not be that far away? Or have I just shown how bad my geography is and how little I know of Scotland's size! Oh ok what are your five? Aha IR too!! yeah sounds great I can't wait!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by acbalex
I'm sure you will! what are you predicted if you don't mind me asking? Well I guess it must not be that far away? Or have I just shown how bad my geography is and how little I know of Scotland's size! Oh ok what are your five? Aha IR too!! yeah sounds great I can't wait!

I've been predicted 5 A's in my Scottish Highers 😊 Haha we can be IR buddies. But I hope you don't steal my place 😉 It's about an hour and a half away from my hometown of Edinburgh which it isn't too terrible. I've also applied to Glasgow, Aberdeen ( both of which have offered me places ) and Stirling Edinburgh and obviously St Andrews. What about yours? St Andrews is amazing for IR, it's making me so tense waiting! Have you only applied for IR at other unis or have you applied for politics too?
Reply 17
Student finance and my savings from work, so hopefully I can stick another five–six months at my job.
Reply 18
I've been predicted 5 A's in my Scottish Highers 😊 Haha we can be IR buddies. But I hope you don't steal my place 😉 It's about an hour and a half away from my hometown of Edinburgh which it isn't too terrible. I've also applied to Glasgow, Aberdeen ( both of which have offered me places ) and Stirling Edinburgh and obviously St Andrews. What about yours? St Andrews is amazing for IR, it's making me so tense waiting! Have you only applied for IR at other unis or have you applied for politics too?

Oh ok how what is their typical offer with highers? Yeah aha, come on you guys get like 30% of the places marked off, we are just used as filler when they want a bit more dosh but are fed up of the American accent :wink: yeah that's quite good, it's about ten hours for me! Oh nice, good choices :smile: I applied for Kings, Exeter, Birmingham, leeds and St A. But I've heard from all so firmed Andrews and got birmingham as back up :smile: it seems really cool! Did you consider any of the joints? All of mine but St. Andrews were combined with politics actually, how about you?
Reply 19
The savings from my job and my student loan. Hopefully, I'll be getting a scholarship (if my grades are good enough) so that'll help out. If that doesn't cover everything I'll have to get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest