The Student Room Group

How are you financing uni?

Scroll to see replies

Any European students here? My family's on the poorer side, but I really want to study in the UK - I'm planning on working for about 10 weeks this summer + getting a part time job, but I don't want to be a burden on my parents so even 100 pounds a month would probably be a lot from them. Anyone have experiences of self-funding uni?
Original post by молодой гений
Oh, you're one of those...

What do you mean?
Original post by Princepieman
I'm saving it for a deposit on a house, so I won't be touching it at all really.

I'm not rich, neither are my parents we're just comfortably middle class - especially as my dad (who was the major earner) passed away 5 years ago..

I have ambition and know how to make money because my parents have always encouraged me to be smart about money and invest from an early age. So, yeah, I understand it is a lot to most people but I feel in the grand scheme of things its not that much and I aspire to create even more wealth for my family and the community around me.

The first step to making lots of money is understanding it's value, saying that "in the grand scheme of things it's not that much" shows you have no idea about the true value of money. My parents also told me to invest young, I had put away a fair amount of money at a young age at a very good interest rate and it has not come to such a massive amount as 40 thousand pounds, it is clear that this money had come from your parents and they had been adding to it themselves over the years as well, no intrest rate in the past 10 years would come even slightly close to this without first starting with a very large sum of money.

I work and I am proud of how much I have managed to save, but no one of my age could earn enough to save that kinda money not to mention how hard so many people work just to pay there bills and can never earn that amount no matter how hard they work. Earning £40k a year is a high paid job, that's around what a deputy head in a large school would earn about £50 for a head teacher.

Also simply being good with money isn't going to cut it if you are looking to make the millions you seem to think is so easily achieved, you need an income first and no job is gonna pay enough to earn how much you want. So you're gonna need to have your own business, your own ideas, something that people will pay through the nose for just to have, wealth is gained through forcing other people out of there own money, no one has ever been wealthy via honorable means.

Talking about such a last sum of money being "not that much" is gonna piss a lot of people off, so I wouldn't go around talking about it so lightly.
Original post by Calum.McManus
The first step to making lots of money is understanding it's value, saying that "in the grand scheme of things it's not that much" shows you have no idea about the true value of money. My parents also told me to invest young, I had put away a fair amount of money at a young age at a very good interest rate and it has not come to such a massive amount as 40 thousand pounds, it is clear that this money had come from your parents and they had been adding to it themselves over the years as well, no intrest rate in the past 10 years would come even slightly close to this without first starting with a very large sum of money.

I work and I am proud of how much I have managed to save, but no one of my age could earn enough to save that kinda money not to mention how hard so many people work just to pay there bills and can never earn that amount no matter how hard they work. Earning £40k a year is a high paid job, that's around what a deputy head in a large school would earn about £50 for a head teacher.

Also simply being good with money isn't going to cut it if you are looking to make the millions you seem to think is so easily achieved, you need an income first and no job is gonna pay enough to earn how much you want. So you're gonna need to have your own business, your own ideas, something that people will pay through the nose for just to have, wealth is gained through forcing other people out of there own money, no one has ever been wealthy via honorable means.

Talking about such a last sum of money being "not that much" is gonna piss a lot of people off, so I wouldn't go around talking about it so lightly.

Dude, I understand the value of money. What you don't seem to grasp is how relative the amount can be to different people, some may find it a lot and some might not. You need to accept that, and I understand that this view may come off as arrogant or entitled but I'm not trying to be like that. Money, like any quantity, is relative to the onlooker. It was about £300 - 500 a month they put away - which is what I'm saving from my part time job as well.

Yes, I get that. That's why I do a mixture of things, including work, to make money as well. Working alone will not make anyone rich, ever. You can only become rich from creating value either via a business or via investing into other businesses/commodities. My motto is to never settle and to strive towards more. Hence, why I don't regard it as 'a lot'.

In terms of your second last paragtaph: I'm running a startup based in America (I live in he UK), have a part time job, do some web development for clients and invest in the markets. I know what it means to bust my ass with both school and outside work, getting wealthy isn't easy and requires commitment - believe me I know. Then again, this is just the beginning I have ambitions of treating a much larger scale business in the future but that will come in due time.

Great, but all that shows me is that head teachers are underpaid in your area. Here, the are on about £60-70k and £50k for head of departments. You see, these things vary so much because of your outlook, your environment, external market forces and cost of living. Which brings me back to my first point: everything is relative.
Original post by Spongelk
Any European students here? My family's on the poorer side, but I really want to study in the UK - I'm planning on working for about 10 weeks this summer + getting a part time job, but I don't want to be a burden on my parents so even 100 pounds a month would probably be a lot from them. Anyone have experiences of self-funding uni?

Well I am not sure how getting a student loan as a foreign students works, but I assume it covers all our tuition fees and you also get some extra money for living expenses the same as people inside the UK get?

If that is true then you can live of that, although it is a struggle, you have to get really cheap accommodation and live of tinned beans the whole time (or so I have been told) but that least this means that any other money you save up is extra.

As for tips for saving, the best way to do it is simple, earn as much as you can, spend as little as possible :P If you are willing and have the time to get a full time job then a part time job as well then you could earn quite a lot of money. Think of a number you want to save up for example let's say £2000, then think about things you need to be able to pay for and cost it out in full, so let's say 75 a month on accommodation that's 900 a year, but, you don't usually pay for the whole year, so the normal is 42 weeks, that's roughly 10.5 months so now it's only £787.80.

You see where I am going with this? Just try to get every cost you are gonna be paying, lay them out then see how much you need then work towards that goal and just take jobs you can get that pay the most :smile: Sadly the old ways of "Set up a junk sale" etc don't really work anymore so you can only earn what you can from jobs that are going. But setting a goal that you have worked out is good so you know exactly how much you need and exactly how to spend it that way you don't over spend :smile:

Good Luck :smile:
From my job, savings and scholarship money (I'm in my first year at uni) my loans don't even cover my accomodation, I have to pay the excess myself
Parents lol
havent started uni but i'll be on loan scheme from my govt which would cover tuition fees and living expenses. If I fail to get at a 2:1, I'd have to pay over 50K pounds for the rest of my life. Don't ask me where I'm from, I ain't telling ya. May all of you be eased and blessed with lots of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Student loan and grant and a grant from the uni - yay for being in the lowest income bracket :tongue:
Well I am not sure how getting a student loan as a foreign students works, but I assume it covers all our tuition fees and you also get some extra money for living expenses the same as people inside the UK get? (...)

Well, it only covers tuition fees, nothing beyond that, and that's why I'm kinda stressed out :-( The uni won't help me either, since all the bursaries only apply to UK students... But oh well, I'm not used to luxuries either way, and I'm quite fond of beans :biggrin:
2000 pounds is actually the amount I expect to be able to save this summer - I thought it could maybe help me out while I try to find a part-time job.
One part of your post got me intrigued though - you gave an example of 75 pounds/month on accommodation - is that just a random, completely imaginary figure, or can you actually get a room that cheap? (Most I found were at least 70 pounds/week, and if I get into my first-choice uni, the cheapest one is like 90 ppw...)
Well, it only covers tuition fees, nothing beyond that, and that's why I'm kinda stressed out :-( The uni won't help me either, since all the bursaries only apply to UK students... But oh well, I'm not used to luxuries either way, and I'm quite fond of beans :biggrin:
2000 pounds is actually the amount I expect to be able to save this summer - I thought it could maybe help me out while I try to find a part-time job.
One part of your post got me intrigued though - you gave an example of 75 pounds/month on accommodation - is that just a random, completely imaginary figure, or can you actually get a room that cheap? (Most I found were at least 70 pounds/week, and if I get into my first-choice uni, the cheapest one is like 90 ppw...)

Yeah, you aren't going to find accommodation that cheap unless you are living in a tin box.

Cheapest you could get is about £3000-4000 for the year - of course it depends where the uni is. Where are you planning on going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you can, if, you don't mind sharing with people, the accom I have booked for uni is 110 a week, but they have 4 bedroom flats, the same as mine (I have a one person studio) but with 4 bedroom for only 65 a week :smile: just look around, Halls at the uni will be expensive, but if you go private you might find some good deals
Anyone aware of what your circumstances need to be to receive the maximum grants and loans from student finance? i'm a full time student studying outside of london, estranged from parents under 21 yet I receive the same amount as my friend who lives at home and doesn't need to buy her own food, transport, pay half the rent I do and anything else... not sure how it's fair to be honest I struggle massively
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, you aren't going to find accommodation that cheap unless you are living in a tin box.

Cheapest you could get is about £3000-4000 for the year - of course it depends where the uni is. Where are you planning on going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be firming Lancaster - it's the north, so I guess it's cheaper than most other places?

Yes you can, if, you don't mind sharing with people, the accom I have booked for uni is 110 a week, but they have 4 bedroom flats, the same as mine (I have a one person studio) but with 4 bedroom for only 65 a week :smile: just look around, Halls at the uni will be expensive, but if you go private you might find some good deals

That does sound reassuring - I do intend to live in the cheapest moldiest place through summer, but I wanted to live in the halls at least in my first year, I'll have to do some thorough planning it seems :-)
Reply 54
I can't believe people are just willing to accept handouts from their parents to fund uni and not make any effort themselves to save money. Surely at 18 people will start to take responsibility for themselves. You can't remain a child forever.
Original post by sos_
I can't believe people are just willing to accept handouts from their parents to fund uni and not make any effort themselves to save money. Surely at 18 people will start to take responsibility for themselves. You can't remain a child forever.

Some people go to uni straight out of school, that means they have no money, they get loans that don't cover anything, get a full time to job just to live and end up failing... but people parents are willing to help them because they have the money and they are good parents, I wouldn't expect people with little money to hand things out but some peoples parents save up just to help there children...
Original post by sos_

The university maintenance loans are based on your family's income despite the fact that your supposed to be an adult in your own right. There is nothing wrong with accepting money from your parents to make up the difference between the minimum loan and the maximum loan as that is what the government expects, everybody then starts university on a level playing field. By your logic I could say "I cant believe students accept the maximum loan and hardship bursary's etc because they should take responsibility for themselves".
If only my parents had the kind of money to help me through uni :ashamed2:. Work, grants and bursaries though.
My loan doesn't even cover my accommodation costs and I don't get a grant. My parents are helping me out a bit but without a part time job my money left over after accommodation is £40 a week. I think students should be assessed independently of their parents as at 18 it is up to us whether we want to go to uni and I think we should be responsible for funding our own education if we wish to pursue it. Haven't even thought about the 9k a year tuition fees...

I actually earn about double that a week with my part time job at sixth form without any real bills to pay so adjusting will be difficult but I'm sure I'll get used to it :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Zachary T-H
The university maintenance loans are based on your family's income despite the fact that your supposed to be an adult in your own right. There is nothing wrong with accepting money from your parents to make up the difference between the minimum loan and the maximum loan as that is what the government expects, everybody then starts university on a level playing field. By your logic I could say "I cant believe students accept the maximum loan and hardship bursary's etc because they should take responsibility for themselves".

Fair point. I can't argue with that.

I have no problem with parents providing some money towards their children's education, I just don't think people should rely exclusively on their parents for everything. Even if its just a part-time job or winning a scholarship, there is something satisfying about earning your own money and taking those first few steps towards taking responsibility for yourself. At least that's how I personally feel.

I must admit that my opinion is slightly coloured by envy. I'm going to be in a hell of a lot of debt when I finish uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending