The Student Room Group

How are you financing uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sos_
Fair point. I can't argue with that.

I have no problem with parents providing some money towards their children's education, I just don't think people should rely exclusively on their parents for everything. Even if its just a part-time job or winning a scholarship, there is something satisfying about earning your own money and taking those first few steps towards taking responsibility for yourself. At least that's how I personally feel.

I must admit that my opinion is slightly coloured by envy. I'm going to be in a hell of a lot of debt when I finish uni.

Trust me, when your dad turns around and offers you 7k a year the last thing on your mind is earning the money your self. I'm going to be very comfortable at university but I don't want to be seen as a spoilt brat. I could get a part time job but what would be the point, I'll have more than enough as it is, I'm quite personable so I would easily get a job but it would be selfish for me to take a job from a student that needs one. I assure you that I will not be idle though, I'm hoping to go to Manchester and I have already decided that I shall volunteer at the food bank, I would also see if there is a scheme I can take part in where you help children learn to read!
Reply 61
Original post by Zachary T-H
Trust me, when your dad turns around and offers you 7k a year the last thing on your mind is earning the money your self. I'm going to be very comfortable at university but I don't want to be seen as a spoilt brat. I could get a part time job but what would be the point, I'll have more than enough as it is, I'm quite personable so I would easily get a job but it would be selfish for me to take a job from a student that needs one. I assure you that I will not be idle though, I'm hoping to go to Manchester and I have already decided that I shall volunteer at the food bank, I would also see if there is a scheme I can take part in where you help children learn to read!

Honestly that's great that you are hoping to make a positive impact via volunteer work. And yeah, i'd be a hypocrite if i didn't admit that i would accept money from my parents if they were financially stable enough to offer it to me.

That also raises another interesting point. I forgot that I'm planning on going to university because I'm hoping to enjoy my time there. A part-time job may become too stressful to balance with studying (especially if i get the grades for my cambridge offer) and there may be other things that I want to do in my spare time (like your example of volunteering at the food bank). I'm going to be in full-time employment for most of my life, so I might as well enjoy my freedom while it lasts.
Original post by sos_
Honestly that's great that you are hoping to make a positive impact via volunteer work. And yeah, i'd be a hypocrite if i didn't admit that i would accept money from my parents if they were financially stable enough to offer it to me.

That also raises another interesting point. I forgot that I'm planning on going to university because I'm hoping to enjoy my time there. A part-time job may become too stressful to balance with studying (especially if i get the grades for my cambridge offer) and there may be other things that I want to do in my spare time (like your example of volunteering at the food bank). I'm going to be in full-time employment for most of my life, so I might as well enjoy my freedom while it lasts.

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed a part time job at Oxbridge..

The 8 week terms make it way to difficult to balance one.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Princepieman
I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed a part time job at Oxbridge..

The 8 week terms make it way to difficult to balance one.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I don't plan to work whilst studying. But during the holidays when I'm back home, my manager said that she'll give me some hours.

Also my situation is kinda complex. Results day will be like an ultimatum. Cambridge gave me a deferred offer so essentially I'd have a year of working on top of my savings now if I meet my offer. But if I don't get the grades, I'll be going to uni sept 2015 as i had originally planned and then i would get another part-time job to support myself (Reading/Warwick will be my insurance).
Original post by sos_

Yes, you must enjoy every moment of those three/ four years, you'll never get them back. I thought at oxbridge getting part time work was highly frowned upon due to the heavy work load?
Reply 65
Original post by Zachary T-H
Yes, you must enjoy every moment of those three/ four years, you'll never get them back. I thought at oxbridge getting part time work was highly frowned upon due to the heavy work load?

The above post answers your question. I swear I didn't intend to reveal my whole life story on this thread ahaha :|
Reply 66
Original post by EllieO'Keeffe
So, just wondering what everyone's plans are to finance their university living costs?
I'm in Scotland, so uni is free. I've come from a private school and am considering proposing to my parents that they give me what they would have spent on school fees to cover living expenses. My proposal is £679 a month from them, and my accommodation paid for. Is that enough to live on do you think? Is it a fair thing to ask of them, and do you think they'll agree? It makes sense because it means I would need to get a job, and can just focus on studies, and it's still less money than what would ordinarily be spent on me.
Opinions and personal experience please share!

...are you a troll?

I have a student loan, and two part time jobs. I get £80 off my Mum a month.

Even if you do ask your parents to help fund you, £679 a month is way more than you need.
Reply 67
I have to go part time. Circumstances don't allow me to go full time. But, I like working and doing full time work. You get the best of both worlds
Sex work :yy:
Sugardaddie.com
My wealthy ****ing parents
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Sugardaddie.com

inbox me i work for goldman sachs
With my savings from my current job, student loan and I'll work a lot whilst at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
humm.. was under the impression the loan covers everything ... (suprised at how many people are saying parents/getting a job)
People really seem to not appreciate being given money by their parents...I'll be lucky if they can give me £20 a month. Financing uni through my own savings and, fingers crossed, a bursary for good grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
For I am also in Scotland, and have to study part-time due to my medical condition- this means I get my fees paid, and some DSA support in the form of special equipment (software, laptop etc)
But I dont get a student bursary or loan and I cannot work and study its one or the other with my health condition, so I have my PIP benefit to live from. Now this is fine to an extent but it means I cannot take part in important field trips ( I want to be an archaeologist/curator but I need to attend digs to get experience and field time) I cannot afford the cost of the uni run trips at £1400 a pop its well beyond what I can afford.
I dont even buy my own books instead I just use library copies.
So I decided to start a crowd funding page instead, to see if that can gather the funds, its a good thing to think about if your in the same sort of situation- there is no guarantee I will raise the funds but it doesnt cost me anything to try https://hubbub.net/p/Classicalerin/
The International Bank of Dad & Mum will be covering my education, alongside the Canadian government grants given to students studying abroad.
Reply 77
The sheer amount of people who seem to plan on coasting through on their parent's coattails astounds me O.O I hadn't thought the demographic was like this.
I'll just convince myself that broke, student-loan-using, part-time-working students are the silent majority.
I will be financing myself with student loan and part time work. Also saving as much as I can this year before September from my current job, planning to work right up until to the Friday before i start on the Monday! Although I am living at home whilst studying without rent to pay, so my costs should be considerably less then others.
Student loan and gap yah job savings

Original post by Patrick2810
humm.. was under the impression the loan covers everything ... (suprised at how many people are saying parents/getting a job)

Depends on how much loan/grant you get. If you only get the non-means tested loan, then that's about £4k a year, and some uni halls will easily charge that just for accomodation (sometimes more), leaving you with nothing to live on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending