The Student Room Group

Feminism: Why is it so obsessed with men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexthehuman
They're not becoming part of an oppressive model they're breaking away from one. Were women copying men when they wanted to vote? I really don't understand your point. You're claiming that sports and politics and the corporate world are "man things" whereas shopping and being stay at home parents are "woman things"
This is a huge issue that feminism has being trying to tackle for years. There shouldn't be things that are socially acceptable for men to do and not women. These gender roles shouldn't exist. Women aren't "copying men" they're just getting jobs and playing sports. Are those things exclusive to men?

1) yes. yes they were. they were as men started the fight against the inability they had of not being able to vote (of which they won) and guess what? women decided to do the same. suprise, suprise.

2) yes they are. why? because they are male dominated and they were started by males. men don't go shopping as much as women do; because men don't Want to do so. women don't Want to play sports (you get your odd anomalies, but hey). whoever said women couldn't get jobs before feminism? besides, this is all part of HUMAN choices in life. girls do not normally (most anyway); like to play sports but would prefer to go shopping and vice versa for guys. it is the way the brain has been designed to function and to think. it is also another reason why the pay gap is utterly idiotic imho. 'gender roles'? what in tarnation are you on about? they are only gender roles, as they were defined and specifically *chosen* by each gender. nobody forced anything on anyone. simples.
Original post by Lostiee
wow..lol feminism isn't about obsessing over men and competing with them, it's about equality and guess what, it isn't just for women's benefit it is for mens as well. How men are pressured to be 'men' and be strong do all the DIY and like football and beer when some guys like to dance or whatever but are scared their male friends will call them all sorts of names, feminism wants us to be equal, it wants people to feel free and get rid of stereotypes. When a woman is raped, she is scrutinized for what she was wearing instead of the man getting hate, apparently she was 'asking for it', feminism wants to stop victim blaming and instead of teaching young people not to walk alone at night or to make sure they have their drink in their hand at all times, how about teaching people to just not rape? prior to certain laws, men weren't allowed to take time off from work for family or medical related issues but feminism changed that. feminism is for everyone, not just girls. Also, thanks to feminism paternity leave exists.

not to be harsh or cold, but i won't even respond to any of your posts; until you've read this page:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/when_feminists_believed_in_freedom/13946#.VOk38PmsWPM

http://www.avoiceformalestudents.com/avfms-mega-post-10-reasons-false-rape-accusations-are-common/

'just not rape..?' that would only be possibe when women wake up in the morning with buyers' remorse..?

'paternity'..? no feminism could never do that; know why? it is a move BASED on equality of WOMEN! if it really did care about men so much; then it wouldn't be Feminism now, would it?
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Because to feminists, men who support patriarchy are the enemy.

The complete abolition of gender roles will be a revolutionary day.

Which will never happen because women would never allow it. Women have choices, men get responsibilities. Men don't have the choice to work part time or stay at home, to do a fluffy degree or do whatever makes them feel ''accomplished''...well, they do but then they'll simply become undatable losers. It isn't men who are the beneficiaries of ''patriarchy'' (before anyone mentions ceo's and mp's, I am talking about 99.99999% of men) . There are millions of ''unambitious'' men who'd love to switch the family roles but women don't want them. Women and their nature are feminism's main problem, not men.
Reply 23
It sounds like you've never had a conversation with a feminist lol. It's about equality and abolishing the idea of social gender stereotypes all together.

That's such an ideal but it's so far from the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
That's such an ideal but it's so far from the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you're not wrong. That's what it's supposed to be, in my opinion anyway. There are plenty of people who identify as feminist but contradict all of its ideals.
Also another thing the OP is failing to consider is that men can call themselves feminists too
Well you're not wrong. That's what it's supposed to be, in my opinion anyway. There are plenty of people who identify as feminist but contradict all of its ideals.
Also another thing the OP is failing to consider is that men can call themselves feminists too

Very true, i actually consider myself a feminist. I just don't like the popular mainstream voice of feminism, which is actually anti female.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26

That's what it's meant to be but in reality it's usually women just concerned with their rights, not making society equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
That's what it's meant to be but in reality it's usually women just concerned with their rights, not making society equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well there's nothing wrong with them being concerned about their own rights. I think they should be striving to improve womens rights in the work place, reproduction rights, access to safe abortions and birth control. Etc, etc. The problem arises when they don't realise that male stereotypes can be just as harmful. I.e. it's "unmanly" to talk about your feelings/be openly upset. "Men can't get raped" etc.
But in my experience most feminists are about equality, it just happens that the outspoken 'men are pigs' breed of feminists get more attention and attract more controversy.
Reply 28
Well there's nothing wrong with them being concerned about their own rights. I think they should be striving to improve womens rights in the work place, reproduction rights, access to safe abortions and birth control. Etc, etc. The problem arises when they don't realise that male stereotypes can be just as harmful. I.e. it's "unmanly" to talk about your feelings/be openly upset. "Men can't get raped" etc.
But in my experience most feminists are about equality, it just happens that the outspoken 'men are pigs' breed of feminists get more attention and attract more controversy.

But by simply campaigning to make women's standing higher you're being sexist which is the very thing you're standing against. I don't think women need any advancement in reproduction rights or he access to safe abortions and contraception, if anyone it's men who need more reproduction rights. In my experience a lot of women like to reap the benefits of being a woman when they can but then complain when they're unfairly treated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Because all feminists are misandranists who simply want men to be their slaves. Feminists hate men so much because they secretly hate their own pathetic lives, and are jealous of other women who get attention from men.
Original post by Wade-
But by simply campaigning to make women's standing higher you're being sexist which is the very thing you're standing against. I don't think women need any advancement in reproduction rights or he access to safe abortions and contraception, if anyone it's men who need more reproduction rights. In my experience a lot of women like to reap the benefits of being a woman when they can but then complain when they're unfairly treated

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is that sexist? A cis man will NEVER get pregnant so they don't need the same reproduction rights as women. And that's simply untrue since abortion isn't even legal where I'm from and this year a dead woman was kept on life support basically incubating her 18 week year old foetus for three weeks. So it's just ignorant of you to say women don't need more access to safe and legal abortions. If this issue is big here how do you think it is in developing countries? Why shouldn't we complain when we're being treated unfairly?
Reply 31
Becuase they are opposed to a system which generally benefits men at the expense of women?
Reply 32
How is that sexist? A cis man will NEVER get pregnant so they don't need the same reproduction rights as women. And that's simply untrue since abortion isn't even legal where I'm from and this year a dead woman was kept on life support basically incubating her 18 week year old foetus for three weeks. So it's just ignorant of you to say women don't need more access to safe and legal abortions. If this issue is big here how do you think it is in developing countries? Why shouldn't we complain when we're being treated unfairly?

Only caring about the advancement of women and ignoring the areas where men are disadvantaged is sexist, especially by the low threshold feminists set.

I didn't claim a man would reproduce, I understand basic biology. I'm speaking about England, advancement of basic human rights is needed in LEDC's and the power of religion needs to be scaled back in others.

I really don't even understand that story you're trying to explain nor the point of it. Women have access to safe abortions in England, in countries where they don't it's because of religion or sub standard medical care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Only caring about the advancement of women and ignoring the areas where men are disadvantaged is sexist, especially by the low threshold feminists set.

I didn't claim a man would reproduce, I understand basic biology. I'm speaking about England, advancement of basic human rights is needed in LEDC's and the power of religion needs to be scaled back in others.

I really don't even understand that story you're trying to explain nor the point of it. Women have access to safe abortions in England, in countries where they don't it's because of religion or sub standard medical care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Ireland and there is no access to safe or legal abortion here. Yes that is partly because of religion but regardless of the reasons it affects women and they are being denied the right to decide what they do with their bodies. So naturally women are striving to change that? The point of my story was that had the woman not been pregnant she wouldn't have been on life support she would have been allowed to die. Think of how horrible it would be to know that your relative was being kept alive on life support for no reason other than to incubate an infant who had a very low chance of survival anyway. I'm not saying abortion is the only issues feminists are concerned with I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with them focusing on improving women's rights in areas that directly affect them. I'm not saying that women should be better than men, I'm saying that there are areas in which men are better off than women (and vice versa) and feminists want to change that.
Reply 34
I live in Ireland and there is no access to safe or legal abortion here. Yes that is partly because of religion but regardless of the reasons it affects women and they are being denied the right to decide what they do with their bodies. So naturally women are striving to change that? The point of my story was that had the woman not been pregnant she wouldn't have been on life support she would have been allowed to die. Think of how horrible it would be to know that your relative was being kept alive on life support for no reason other than to incubate an infant who had a very low chance of survival anyway. I'm not saying abortion is the only issues feminists are concerned with I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with them focusing on improving women's rights in areas that directly affect them. I'm not saying that women should be better than men, I'm saying that there are areas in which men are better off than women (and vice versa) and feminists want to change that.

Well firstly I was talking about England. The problems with access to abortion in Ireland come from religion, to gain the right to have abortion there needs to be work done on having the state distance itself from Catholicism, that's separate from feminism.

Well if it was my mum and I had to make the choice of have my mum and unborn sibling die or have just my mum die and my as of yet unborn sibling maybe survive that wouldn't be a hard choice at all, the doctors did what was morally right in my opinion.

How can you not see that by simply trying to improve the areas where women are disadvantaged you're not fighting for equality, you're fighting for superiority which is sexism and is the very thing feminist claim to be against

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Well firstly I was talking about England. The problems with access to abortion in Ireland come from religion, to gain the right to have abortion there needs to be work done on having the state distance itself from Catholicism, that's separate from feminism.

Well if it was my mum and I had to make the choice of have my mum and unborn sibling die or have just my mum die and my as of yet unborn sibling maybe survive that wouldn't be a hard choice at all, the doctors did what was morally right in my opinion.

How can you not see that by simply trying to improve the areas where women are disadvantaged you're not fighting for equality, you're fighting for superiority which is sexism and is the very thing feminist claim to be against

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I said it was to do with religion but it still directly affects women. Therefore it's a feminist issue.
Also she WAS clinically dead she wasn't kept on life support because they thought they could save her. She was dead. She was not coming back. If she hadn't have been pregnant life support wouldn't have been considered. Can you not see how that situation is problematic.
I've also stated a few times that feminists may be fighting for women's rights but they aren't ONLY concerned with these issues. They want equal rights for all sexes. There are some areas that women don't currently have equal treatment in. How is it sexist to try and change that?
Reply 36
Yes I said it was to do with religion but it still directly affects women. Therefore it's a feminist issue.
Also she WAS clinically dead she wasn't kept on life support because they thought they could save her. She was dead. She was not coming back. If she hadn't have been pregnant life support wouldn't have been considered. Can you not see how that situation is problematic.
I've also stated a few times that feminists may be fighting for women's rights but they aren't ONLY concerned with these issues. They want equal rights for all sexes. There are some areas that women don't currently have equal treatment in. How is it sexist to try and change that?

My interpretation of feminism was that it's a movement to create equality for women, please correct me if I'm mistaken. If I am indeed not mistaken then correcting an issue created by living in a country which is so traditional and religious is not the battle of feminism.

I'm not disputing that women should have access to abortion, particularly where it's in the interest of her well being. If you'd actually read what I said then you'd see I accepted the woman was going to die but by keeping her on life support the baby could possibly have lived, by keeping her alive the doctors did what is morally right.

Well could you please name me one instance of when feminists fought for equality for men? Feminists are only concerned with enhancing the position of women which is sexist; they are simply interested in correcting the areas where women are disadvantaged and are happy to ignore the areas where men are

Posted from TSR Mobile
because they're jelly of our swag and intelligence :cool:
Original post by Wade-
My interpretation of feminism was that it's a movement to create equality for women, please correct me if I'm mistaken. If I am indeed not mistaken then correcting an issue created by living in a country which is so traditional and religious is not the battle of feminism.

I'm not disputing that women should have access to abortion, particularly where it's in the interest of her well being. If you'd actually read what I said then you'd see I accepted the woman was going to die but by keeping her on life support the baby could possibly have lived, by keeping her alive the doctors did what is morally right.

Well could you please name me one instance of when feminists fought for equality for men? Feminists are only concerned with enhancing the position of women which is sexist; they are simply interested in correcting the areas where women are disadvantaged and are happy to ignore the areas where men are

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it directly affects women so how is it not a feminist issue? I agree that it is mostly because religion and politics go hand in hand here but it is also an infringement on women's right to make choices about their body. I see no reason why it can't be an issue of religion in the state as well as a feminist issue.
Also sorry I must have misread that. I think the problem was that at 18 weeks the baby's chance of survival would be quite slim unless she were to stay on life support for months longer.

I think you're confusing feminists with misandrists. Why can they not fight to improve the areas in which women are disadvantaged as well as those for men. Abolishing the gender stereotypes of the weak and submissive woman, and the strong, dominant man would benefit both men and women. Ending rape culture would benefit men and.women. Better sex education would benefit men and women. What areas are men disadvantaged in that you want feminists to acknowledge? Chances are they are already. I don't see how you can say something that focuses on gender equality is sexist.
Feminism is obsessed with achieving equality. Men are in the way of equality due to the social stereotypes that men have oppressed women with for generations. Men are very much a large part of feminism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending