The Student Room Group

Feminism: Why is it so obsessed with men?

The thing that defines feminism is its obsession with men and their behaviours.

You would think a true feminist would look at males, with all of their testosterone fuelled behaviours and say: "No thanks. We want to take a different path. Present something new to the world that isn't based on testosterone"

Instead, the feminist goal is basically to muscle in on the male world. From the corporate world, to sport, to politics; everything which dominates the world we know is a male construction.

Men never even consider the behaviours of women because they have no original behaviours men are actually interested in doing.

But, is the modern world which has been constructed by men really a sane place? Surely feminists should be presenting a different model for human society to follow. A model based on their own femininity.

Feminists are people with vaginas who want penises. They look at men vomiting in the street after a binge session , and instead of being repulsed, they think they have to compete.

"If men can drink themselves under the table and get liver disease, then women can drink themselves under the table and get liver disease just as good as men, if not better" seems to be the feminist rallying cry.

Feminists, seriously, you need to stop being obsessed with men and start coming up with your own ideas. Humanity needs some new ideas.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It sounds like you've never had a conversation with a feminist lol. It's about equality and abolishing the idea of social gender stereotypes all together.
Reply 2
This is what you sound like right now:

Try to be a little more perceptive.
Original post by Algorithm69
Because in their eyes men and male behaviours are the cause of female oppression and female issues.

I agree, so why would they want to copy them? You would think they would want to create a new model for society. And not just become a part of an oppressive model.
Original post by capitalismstinks
I agree, so why would they want to copy them? You would think they would want to create a new model for society. And not just become a part of an oppressive model.

They're not becoming part of an oppressive model they're breaking away from one. Were women copying men when they wanted to vote? I really don't understand your point. You're claiming that sports and politics and the corporate world are "man things" whereas shopping and being stay at home parents are "woman things"
This is a huge issue that feminism has being trying to tackle for years. There shouldn't be things that are socially acceptable for men to do and not women. These gender roles shouldn't exist. Women aren't "copying men" they're just getting jobs and playing sports. Are those things exclusive to men?
Reply 5
wow..lol feminism isn't about obsessing over men and competing with them, it's about equality and guess what, it isn't just for women's benefit it is for mens as well. How men are pressured to be 'men' and be strong do all the DIY and like football and beer when some guys like to dance or whatever but are scared their male friends will call them all sorts of names, feminism wants us to be equal, it wants people to feel free and get rid of stereotypes. When a woman is raped, she is scrutinized for what she was wearing instead of the man getting hate, apparently she was 'asking for it', feminism wants to stop victim blaming and instead of teaching young people not to walk alone at night or to make sure they have their drink in their hand at all times, how about teaching people to just not rape? prior to certain laws, men weren't allowed to take time off from work for family or medical related issues but feminism changed that. feminism is for everyone, not just girls. Also, thanks to feminism paternity leave exists.
Reply 6
I honestly don't know where to start with the OP because so much of what you're saying just isn't right. I just think you have totally missed the mark as feminism by definition is "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes", not women wishing they were equipped with male genitalia. Feminists aren't trying to be men or take on manly characteristics, if that were the case then the age old stereotype of feminists hating men wouldn't exist (not that that is anything more than a stereotype).

The whole point of feminists to for men and women to be seen as equal, regardless of sex, OP is suggesting that feminists simply want to be men. Feminism often deals with making women visible in male dominated fields and creating equal opportunities. So I think it would be fair the say that women want to be men/drink the same as men/act as men is totally misinformed.

Original post by alexthehuman
They're not becoming part of an oppressive model they're breaking away from one. Were women copying men when they wanted to vote? I really don't understand your point. You're claiming that sports and politics and the corporate world are "man things" whereas shopping and being stay at home parents are "woman things"
This is a huge issue that feminism has being trying to tackle for years. There shouldn't be things that are socially acceptable for men to do and not women. These gender roles shouldn't exist. Women aren't "copying men" they're just getting jobs and playing sports. Are those things exclusive to men?

I think you are missing the point I am making. The reason why women were never in positions of power in the past is because everything is a male invention. Every institution you can imagine, be it in politics, sports, arts, science, the corporate world etc etc is an invention of males.

Feminism is a reactive movement which simply wants to muscle in on institutions men have already invented.

My point is, there are other possibilities out there.

Your comment is basically saying that the male expression of reality is the defualt. That no other possibilities exist.

I am suggesting that feminists should be trying to break out of the narrow confines of male dominated reality, and not just try to mimick it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you are missing the point I am making. The reason why women were never in positions of power in the past is because everything is a male invention. Every institution you can imagine, be it in politics, sports, arts, science, the corporate world etc etc is an invention of males.

Feminism is a reactive movement which simply wants to muscle in on institutions men have already invented.

My point is, there are other possibilities out there.

Your comment is basically saying that the male expression of reality is the defualt. That no other possibilities exist.

I am am suggesting that feminists should be trying to break out of the narrow confines of male dominated reality, and not just try to mimick it.

I don't understand what point you're even trying to make. Men invented EVERYTHING? Even if that was true your point still doesn't make sense.

*and vice versa obviously. There shouldn't be things that are acceptable for women to do and not for men. As the others have said, feminism helps men too.
Reply 10
why shouldn't women be politicians play sports, drink etc all things that you are claiming are male dominated, just because they are male dominated doesn't make it right and doesn't mean that women should just sit back and take it! if its a woman's dream to become a athlete or politician you are saying they shouldn't follow that dream because its copying men? it is not 'copying' just because we want to simply have equal opportunities! you fact that you don't want equal opportunities for all genders I find disgusting tbf
I don't understand what point you're even trying to make. Men invented EVERYTHING? Even if that was true your point still doesn't make sense.

I don't mean every invention obviously. I mean every institution. Everything which dominates the world is an expression of male identity. Females only work within the male expression of reality.

My point is, Where is the female expression of reality?

If feminists stopped obsessing over men, then maybe they could create a new model of reality which could solve the worlds problems.

I don't know what that new reality would be, but what I know is that it's never going to happen as long as feminism is chasing after testosterone.
Original post by Lostiee
why shouldn't women be politicians play sports, drink etc all things that you are claiming are male dominated, just because they are male dominated doesn't make it right and doesn't mean that women should just sit back and take it! if its a woman's dream to become a athlete or politician you are saying they shouldn't follow that dream because its copying men? it is not 'copying' just because we want to simply have equal opportunities! you fact that you don't want equal opportunities for all genders I find disgusting tbf

It's not about these things being male dominated. It's about them being fundamental expressions of maleness. Which is why all of these things are male inventions.

I am just asking where are the fundamental expressions of femininity in the world today? Femininity is so suppressed by feminism that it denies it even exists.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think a better question is, why are you obsessed with feminism?
I don't mean every invention obviously. I mean every institution. Everything which dominates the world is an expression of male identity. Females only work within the male expression of reality.

My point is, Where is the female expression of reality?

If feminists stopped obsessing over men, then maybe they could create a new model of reality which could solve the worlds problems.

I don't know what that new reality would be, but what I know is that it's never going to happen as long as feminism is chasing after testosterone.

I think you need to do more research on feminism. You don't seem to know what it is. The point isn't to have a male reality and a female reality.
Some feminists (read: vocal internet feminists) beleive men to be the source of all female problems/injustices. Something interesting about feminism is that the real goal and meaning behind it has been so diluted since original 1st wave that feminsim can mean 10 different things to 10 different people, ranging from equal opportunity for all genders to advocatong male gendercide.
I think you need to do more research on feminism. You don't seem to know what it is. The point isn't to have a male reality and a female reality.

If you could move to a new planet and start humanity afresh, free from the thousands of years of male domination. What would you do differently?
This is a weird ass conversation thread and I know nothing so I will not comment but it's interesting so, uh, I guess I'll follow it.

(is hiding in the background)
K.
Because to feminists, men who support patriarchy are the enemy.

The complete abolition of gender roles will be a revolutionary day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending