The Student Room Group

Best uni for pure maths?

Aberdeen and Edinburgh seem to me to be the best for pure maths.
Opinions would be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm assuming that since this is in the Scottish university section that your question is what's the best university for pure maths in Scotland. There's 8 universities that do maths in Scotland:
Aberdeen
Dundee
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Heriot Watt
St Andrews
Stirling
Strathclyde

I really can't speak for any of the universities apart from Heriot Watt but it's worth noting that where ever you go that the course will be a blend of both pure and applied maths for the first 2 if not 3 years. I believe that Dundee, Stirling and Strathclyde have next to no research in pure maths so I guess you could discount those 3. There's not too much then to choose between the other 5 as they all have good maths reputations. I'd also like to say that Edinburgh and Heriot Watt have a lot of joint research in maths so separating the 2 departments is not always that easy.
It's a matter of choosing between Aberdeen and Edinburgh. I'm planning on going to Aberdeen, but just trying to make sure it's the right choice before I firm it.
Reply 3
Ah ok. You will probably get a similar level of maths at either uni so I wouldn't worry about that. Only thing is that if you wanted to do a MMath then Edinburgh might be a better choice since Aberdeen don't offer that as an option but if that's not a concern then go with which city/university you prefer.
Original post by qno2
Ah ok. You will probably get a similar level of maths at either uni so I wouldn't worry about that. Only thing is that if you wanted to do a MMath then Edinburgh might be a better choice since Aberdeen don't offer that as an option but if that's not a concern then go with which city/university you prefer.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest