The Student Room Group

Cut down smoking but can't quit...

I'm a 19 year old guy who has been smoking on and off since I was 15. Obviously for health reasons I decided to quit about a year ago. I lasted 3 months without one but in that time I became moody, angry and gained over a stone in weight. Since then I've been having just one or two cigarettes a day (usually in the evening) whilst using an e-cig the rest of the time.(With the exception of when I'm on holiday where I allow myself approx. 5 a day - but I've immediately cut down to 1 a day as soon as I'm back) I'm wondering - is it worth quitting completely? (Stupid question I know) but I know if I don't have my daily cig my personality will change and I will become moody and fat. Is having just one cigarette a day doing that much damage to my health? Is it worth being grumpy and fat for?

Scroll to see replies

No, it isn't worth it. One or two a day brings a risk of health problems, but it's a slender one and not worth compromising your personality to completely eradicate.
Smoking is never worth it.

Wean yourself off and onto nicotine-free e-cigs. Worked for my boyfriend.
One or two a day is still gonna cause health problems.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
One or two a day is still gonna cause health problems.

This is not necessarily true. Not by a country mile.
Reply 5
Don't quit. Cigarettes are actually good for you, government scientist Dr Yamak has proved it. They taste really nice and the cigarette smoke smells really good. It's very polite to make other people inhale your smoke, people really appreciate having smoke forcefully blown into their faces.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Your choice, but perhaps you became a miserable wreck for reasons other than smoking, and having a fag only covers that up?
Reply 7
Personally I'd take comfort in the fact I wouldn't die a slow and painful death as well as causing cancer to everyone within a 10 metre radius
Original post by Per
Personally I'd take comfort in the fact I wouldn't die a slow and painful death as well as causing cancer to everyone within a 10 metre radius

You have clearly not looked at the scientific evidence of the dangers of smoking. One or two cigarettes a day is highly unlikely to cause OP serious harm, let alone anyone else.
Hey, I've gone through the same problem. I tried to quit with an E-cig... but I found myself more dependant on nicotine after using it for a month or so. Of course, this didnt become apparent until I ran out of the liquid and found myself smoking about 10 a day rather than 5! I've tried quitting a few times for similar results to what you got. I even get dizzy from it after a day or two. My plan is to give up when i start uni in september at the latest, when ill be very distracted as well as surrounded by a new group of friends who *hopefully* wont smoke as much as my current college friends. Good luck if you do decide to kick it completely!
Original post by Cutty
Don't quit. Cigarettes are actually good for you, government scientist Dr Yamak has proved it. They taste really nice and the cigarette smoke smells really good. It's very polite to make other people inhale your smoke, people really appreciate having smoke forcefully blown into their faces.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There actually is ample scientific evidence that smoking has many health benefits, including reducing the risk of Parkinson's disease, breast cancer, ulcerative colitis and other nasties, as well as more general effects like sharpened memory, decreased stress and anxiety and increased motivation.

It carries slender risks of a wide range of illnesses when smoked in moderation. For the OP who smokes one or two a day, these risks are not so great as to make it sensible for him to be so unhappy.
Reply 11
Use running and meditation to fight drug addiction OP.

http://www.ascendexistence.com/running-and-meditation-the-only-drugs-you-need/
Reply 12
Original post by Birkenhead
There actually is ample scientific evidence that smoking has many health benefits, including reducing the risk of Parkinson's disease, breast cancer, ulcerative colitis and other nasties, as well as more general effects like sharpened memory, decreased stress and anxiety and increased motivation.

It carries slender risks of a wide range of illnesses when smoked in moderation. For the OP who smokes one or two a day, these risks are not so great as to make it sensible for him to be so unhappy.

Am a scientist, can confirm that it reduces risk of developing malignancy and inflammatory bowel disease. The more cigarettes you smoke, the less likely you are to become infected with cancer, can confirm this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cutty
Am a scientist, can confirm that it reduces risk of developing malignancy and inflammatory bowel disease. The more cigarettes you smoke, the less likely you are to become infected with cancer, can confirm this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lack of tone and relative equality of the evidence for both sides makes it difficult to conclude whether you are being sarcastic or not
Is it worth being grumpy and fat for? Well smoking artificially increases your metabolism and suppresses your appetite, but 1 or 2 cigarettes a day won't be having a major effect on either. Grumpy, well it depends. Using the E-Cig or nicotine patches would keep the withdrawal symptoms away. But at some point you will need to give up nicotine completely, slowly lowering the dose and going cold turkey is the best approach. You might gain a bit of weight, and feel grumpy, but those all temporary setbacks to gain long term freedom.

1 or 2 cigarettes a day is no worse for you as a day spent in Central London inhaling all the fumes. I'd say aim to quit, and move onto the E-Cig completely. But do it in your own time. You have cut down by quite a bit and you've down well. Best of luck mate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Vaping's much nicer than smoking. Better flavour, better nicotine hit.

Why do you find you still want the ciggies? And didn't you buy more ejuice?

Absolutely true. I also read once that smokers live on average 3 years longer than their non smoking counterparts. This is because they make your lungs stronger so you can run further and for longer. Seriously, have you ever wondered why all marathon runners and Olympic athletes are heavy smokers? This is why. Trust me, I read science.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Good Doctor
Absolutely true. I also read once that smokers live on average 3 years longer than their non smoking counterparts. This is because they make your lungs stronger so you can run further and for longer. Seriously, have you ever wondered why all marathon runners and Olympic athletes are heavy smokers? This is why. Trust me, I read science.

Actually I'm quite sure this isn't true. While smoking has many health benefits such as the ones I referred to, it is generally not good for your lungs, although the chances of developing any serious illnesses from one or two cigarettes a day are small.
Original post by Jahe
I'm a 19 year old guy who has been smoking on and off since I was 15. Obviously for health reasons I decided to quit about a year ago. I lasted 3 months without one but in that time I became moody, angry and gained over a stone in weight. Since then I've been having just one or two cigarettes a day (usually in the evening) whilst using an e-cig the rest of the time.(With the exception of when I'm on holiday where I allow myself approx. 5 a day - but I've immediately cut down to 1 a day as soon as I'm back) I'm wondering - is it worth quitting completely? (Stupid question I know) but I know if I don't have my daily cig my personality will change and I will become moody and fat. Is having just one cigarette a day doing that much damage to my health? Is it worth being grumpy and fat for?
Don't quit. If you think of it as quitting it'll become a big thing in your mind. Conversely, if you keep doing things and allow yourself to forget to go for a cigarette you'll find you don't miss it.

And as for personality changes - these mostly come from it being a big thing in your head.
You have clearly not looked at the scientific evidence of the dangers of smoking. One or two cigarettes a day is highly unlikely to cause OP serious harm, let alone anyone else.

Hm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2568036/Just-one-cigarette-day-trebles-heart-risk-Britains-1-1million-social-smokers-warned-dangers-health.html

Quick Reply

Latest