The Student Room Group

EU should become a superstate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jemner01
Giving more power to the political leaders of the EU or my statement about rejecting the idea that fewer people should have power over more citizens?

That fewer people shouldn't have more power.

Would be better off if all the countries of the world split off into villages and governed themselves in a peaceful manner and if everyone revolted against big business rofl.
Reply 41
Why are you in TSR UKIP then?! But yes!!!!! USE FTW.
Original post by Baby Milo
The people that make up the US states are different as well and have different ways of life. More people moving freely around Europe would just lead to more people breeding with one another and an entire European race formed after generations of it happening. How do you think the people that exist today came about?

Yes but it's been going for a long time in the US, why not research the formation of the states or whatever it is.

You are seriously underestimating a change as big as this, which proves how deluded you are!
A political elite we'll have more control over and people will take more interest in. At the moment, a lot of people don't take an interest in European politics and that is very dangerous considering the influence the EU has. The problem is not the body but transparency and openness about the bodies that govern.

In a larger government spanning a huge landmass, local issues will become almost irrelevant. restrictions and laws imposed on the entire populace will benefit some whilst crippling others. Small, local (and ideally voluntary but that's a different can of worms) governments can repond quickly and efficietly to local problems, and be shaped by a smaller community. Issues in Tayside can be tackled by a Tayside government. Issues in Tayside will be more difficult to resolve by a Brussels or Berlin or "EU" government.
Reply 44
Original post by Aph
Why are you in TSR UKIP then?! But yes!!!!! USE FTW.

I left. Feel free to check profile.
Reply 45
Original post by jamestg

You are seriously underestimating a change as big as this, which proves how deluded you are!

Here comes the ad hominem's now from people who can't debate. 'Deluded' this. I think you just lack vision really and are scared of change. I could resort to the ad hominem approach as well but then you'd call me a liberal loony and get irate. I'd rather spare myself the bother.
Reply 46
I left. Feel free to check profile.

That was quick:lol:
Original post by ChickenMadness
That fewer people shouldn't have more power.

Would be better off if all the countries of the world split off into villages and governed themselves in a peaceful manner and if everyone revolted against big business rofl.

"Villages" is a bit extreme, but I'm a supporter of small, decentralised and voluntaryily-abiding governments that can adapt to the issues and needs of the people, as opposed to one large, controlling state where local issues are drowned out over bigger issues.
Original post by Evening
Would never work in practise unless there was a war. Too many ethnic differences/flow of immigration would displace millions.

The EU already has free movement. The political changes to make it a functioning country would have little effect on immigration levels in comparison to today.

Original post by jamestg
You don't become a superpower by pooling countries together :biggrin:.

Countries in the EU have completely different economic systems, combining them would cause instability and people trading wouldn't be confident investing in this new country.

Countries would not get an equal say in what will happen to them. Think of how many people are in power in these countries, thousands! How are thousands of politicians with different beliefs going to agree on something that is universal?! You can't simply create a new government based only on 'higher politicians'. It's basically a political cull.

How expensive will it be for countries with worse infrastructure going to cope? By sending UK taxpayers' money to a foreign country and not actually affecting them! It would be extremely expensive to standardise infrastructure.

People have different wealths in countries. Take a family from Bulgaria and one from the UK. They earn the same amount - however the value of money is different. You would need multiple taxation systems within this big branch which is inefficient and you're essentially keeping things the same. What a waste of money!

Millions could lose jobs as the value of money is brought to a standard amount. More industries will move out because it will become too expensive and will then go to LEDCs.

It will cause complete unrest and instability, in multiple ways.

Here's an analogy. Take 5 completely different sized men and one size of jeans. They won't all fit into what's given to them.

I beg to differ. You seem to be looking at things from a pre-Euro perspective.

To become a federation all that would need to happen is for power to be taken from the council and given to the parliament. In the European Parliament you already have a legislative body capable to granting common law. If they pool the military, they've already got a common currency, a legislative body and then a common military.. i don't know what your definition of a country or superpower is but that's pretty close in my book.

Now in reality some countries would leave like the UK but for the rest all you'd really need is a constitution outlining the powers the EP wants and then it could be complete within a decade.
Reply 49
If the UK don't like it then you go independent and the rest of Europe will become a superpower on your doorstep and eventually we'll just invade you, take your women and destroy your binge drinking culture.

:colone:
Reply 50
Original post by Aph
That was quick:lol:

I haven't got time to commit to such. I'm so busy with IRL work unfortunately. However, even if I had time I'd stay in TSR UKIP because its not reflective of real world opinion. Although, I watched an incredible documentary last night that showed how great Europe could be.
Reply 51
over my dead body
What are you going to do about it if the politicians make these decisions? Nothing. Any violence or riots, rebellious action, will just portray you as violent revolutionaries and you'll lose support instantly. You will be the minority as the majority either support it or are apathetic to it all.

At first give further support to UKIP. Then maybe Protestant, then ask for support from the Monarchy, Church and Aristocracy.
Reply 53
Original post by william walker
At first give further support to UKIP. Then maybe Protestant, then ask for support from the Monarchy, Church and Aristocracy.

They're not going to do anything. The Church of England is too busy having a hissy fit about gays getting married, the Monarchy has numerous issues and other concerns and UKIP is just trying to win votes but will invoke no real change once its got itself into a nice position for its MP's and MEP's.
Reply 54
I haven't got time to commit to such. I'm so busy with IRL work unfortunately. However, even if I had time I'd stay in TSR UKIP because its not reflective of real world opinion. Although, I watched an incredible documentary last night that showed how great Europe could be.

Which documentary? I'd like to see it now, but I'm glad to see USE is picking up steam in the younge generation.
Original post by sdotd
over my dead body

Or not... It has to happen:yep:
They're not going to do anything. The Church of England is too busy having a hissy fit about gays getting married, the Monarchy has numerous issues and other concerns and UKIP is just trying to win votes but will invoke no real change once its got itself into a nice position for its MP's and MEP's.

On a local level, what I say could work. Like it did in Ulster.
There's absolutely no reason why you couldn't also identify as your nation state, say European first, British second. Also we could preserve our customs, just integrate militarily, legally, economically, etc. We would rival all of the newly developing great powers.
Original post by Rakas21

I beg to differ. You seem to be looking at things from a pre-Euro perspective.

To become a federation all that would need to happen is for power to be taken from the council and given to the parliament. In the European Parliament you already have a legislative body capable to granting common law. If they pool the military, they've already got a common currency, a legislative body and then a common military.. i don't know what your definition of a country or superpower is but that's pretty close in my book.

Now in reality some countries would leave like the UK but for the rest all you'd really need is a constitution outlining the powers the EP wants and then it could be complete within a decade.

Technically you are right, stuff is already in place. But you've still got the problem that not all countries are on a level playing field. To do this would require a lot - particularly Eastern European countries. And transferring powers isn't as easy as it sounds. Take Hong Kong for example...
Original post by ChickenMadness
We need another Hitler to take charge and lead Europe to greatness. Just without the breach of human rights and holocaust stuff.

So not hitler
Introduce TTIP (to reduce barriers to trade with our American partners)
Make English the second language of every official state (as it is the scientific language of the world)
Limit immigration from non-EU countries.
Join Nato and national militaries.
Write a European Criminal Code (would also improve international police force)
Push for eventual Russian integration.
Reform the euro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending