The Student Room Group

EU should become a superstate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Baby Milo
If England leaves the EU which is possible then Wales would join the EU. We would not stay independent with England. England gaining independence would be just what the likes of Plaid Cymru need in securing votes.

no it isn't - where did you hear that? if BRITAIN (not england, wales, scotland or NI, seeing as these "countries" technically aren't members, but the "UK" is) left, then that doesn't give wales an option over a foreign policy (like international-institution membership). this is like suggesting that wales has the political authority under the UK to invade a foreign country - wales has no army, nor any foreign secretaries. so it certainly has no constitutional power under this union to act outside of the nationla government, which has the sole responsibility over national and international policies.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd predict after a period of time there would be a split similar to Korea except it would be West Europe and Eastern Europe. Also, Boris Johnson would be the supreme leader of West Europe. Tru Story
Reply 82
Definitely not ; Britain as it is is politically different to the majority of Europe. If you look at the make-up of the European Parliament the UK has a large amount of people in the eurosceptic groups compared to other European states. This would no doubt result in the UK being ignored on policy.
I also don't see the advantages it would bring which couldn't be brought through co-operation between independent European states today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I said before - take 4 different sized men and 4 same sized jeans. They wouldn't fit.

What would happen if something collapses? If the car industry leaves Germany for an LEDC... take Detroit for example, it would be a disaster just on a much bigger scale in this case! This would then cause knock-on effects to the whole of the "superstate". Or the single currency failing - that would be catastrophic.
The EU becoming a single state is possibly the worst idea ever. National sovereignty is far too important to be destroyed for a pointless political project like a "United States of Europe". All that would do is transfer yet more power to an unaccountable political "elite", which is bad enough at the moment.

You cannot impose a one size fits all policy on a whole continent with many different countries, languages, cultures, economies, etc. It is just not possible. And let's be honest, you would have to impose it because such a move would face massive resistance. It would certainly not have "majority" support, as I have seen the OP claim it would somewhere in this thread.
Original post by zippity.doodah
1) identities are not created by states. they are created by societies. they're like languages; do you think governments establish what words mean? or do you think people collectively decide these matters in a given region? if you think governments do or should create cultures, then that's nothing but the advocacy of cultural indoctrination/engineering which is an authoritarian concept which has little consideration for the concept of human free will.
2) first of all, you didn't even try to disagree when I said it would remove national parliaments so I can't help but assume you're agreeing with that fact. secondly, the fact that you're even attempting to portray us integrating with god-awful economies like romania, bulgaria, serbia (etc) is hilarious - we benefit from trading with them and competing with them, not sharing their awfulness.
3) wow. you're in favour of invading the middle east. why? what would be the point? we trade with the middle east - we benefit from their existence. why do you want their people to die? why do you want *our* people to die fighting to invade them? do you not believe in the concept of national sovereignty? if you don't respect their national sovereignty, does that mean you believe that it is fair that countries like china, russia, india (etc) should invade us if they have the egotistical and neo-conservative interests to do so?

1) Very few people actually identify as British now except when filling things in, they know very little about its culture. The political system determines the educational system, which determines how people see themselves in many respects.
2) First, it won't remove national Parliaments so I don't need to address that. Second integrating with awful economies is not hilarious, they need time to develop before they benefit us, but they will.
3) The Middle East are barbarians who do not treat their citizens with respect.

Original post by RFowler
The EU becoming a single state is possibly the worst idea ever. National sovereignty is far too important to be destroyed for a pointless political project like a "United States of Europe". All that would do is transfer yet more power to an unaccountable political "elite", which is bad enough at the moment.

You cannot impose a one size fits all policy on a whole continent with many different countries, languages, cultures, economies, etc. It is just not possible. And let's be honest, you would have to impose it because such a move would face massive resistance. It would certainly not have "majority" support, as I have seen the OP claim it would somewhere in this thread.

Yes because nationalism has worked brilliantly for the last 200 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jakeel1
1) Very few people actually identify as British now except when filling things in, they know very little about its culture. The political system determines the educational system, which determines how people see themselves in many respects.
2) First, it won't remove national Parliaments so I don't need to address that. Second integrating with awful economies is not hilarious, they need time to develop before they benefit us, but they will.
3) The Middle East are barbarians who do not treat their citizens with respect.

first of all, who are you speak for him? but either way:

1) you aren't actually diagreeing with me in terms of identity; I said there was no such thing as "european identity", not anything to do with british english, welsh etc identity. my first message on this thread was explaining how we have different cultures, different languages, different politics, etc
2) well *he* seemed to be implying that. and integrating with them *will* detriment us, then? and how many hundreds of years will it take to see any benefits?
3) invading the middle east is not only an act of imperialism/aggression, which we in the west have now recognised as negative/illiberal, but it would cost trillions of pounds. why should we invade them when it will cost millions of european lives? or the causing of a third/nuclear war?
4) nationalism =/= fascism
(edited 9 years ago)
first of all, who are you speak for him? but either way:

1) you aren't actually diagreeing with me in terms of identity; I said there was no such thing as "european identity", not anything to do with british english, welsh etc identity. my first message on this thread was explaining how we have different cultures, different languages, different politics, etc
2) well *he* seemed to be implying that. and integrating with them *will* detriment us, then? and how many hundreds of years will it take to see any benefits?
3) invading the middle east is not only an act of imperialism/aggression, which we in the west have now recognised as negative/illiberal, but it would cost trillions of pounds. why should we invade them when it will cost millions of european lives? or the causing of a third/nuclear war?
4) nationalism =/= fascism

1) There is no such thing as a British identity anymore, so we can create a European one.
2) Hundreds of years? No
3) Actually imperialism was one of the cornerstones of liberalism in the 19th and early 20th centuries, most liberals were interventionalist.
4) True, however nationalism is backwards hogwash regardless, cultural nationalism is fine, political nationalism needs to die.
You really think people in Germany/UK/France etc. would like to give up even more of their prosperity than they are doing now to pump it into poorer countries?
Original post by jakeel1

There's nothing wrong with nationalism itself. And it is not extremist to want a sovereign country to remain sovereign and retain democratic control of its own affairs. A United States of Europe is simply not compatible with the diverse countries, languages, cultures, etc of Europe, and it is not compatible with democracy.

I sense that part of this is a thinly veiled reference to the Nazis, which was basically extremist nationalism combined with racism and authoritarianism. If that is what you are referring to, I would like to point out that it was basically an attempt by a European country to remove the sovereignty of lots of sovereign states.
Original post by RFowler
There's nothing wrong with nationalism itself. And it is not extremist to want a sovereign country to remain sovereign and retain democratic control of its own affairs. A United States of Europe is simply not compatible with the diverse countries, languages, cultures, etc of Europe, and it is not compatible with democracy.

I sense that this is a thinly veiled reference to the Nazis, which was basically extremist nationalism combined with racism and authoritarianism. If that is what you are referring to, I would like to point out that it was basically an attempt by a European country to remove the sovereignty of lots of sovereign states.

Did you forget about WW1? Franco-Prussian wars? It's completely different, Europe has hated each others guts for centuries, we're working on it now.
Original post by jakeel1
Did you forget about WW1? Franco-Prussian wars? It's completely different, Europe has hated each others guts for centuries, we're working on it now.

No, I just thought they were maybe a bit old to actually be relevant to a debate about an organisation that came into being in the past few decades and that we are now debating about in 2015. And certainly too long ago to be able to use them for something which seems to me to be guilt/smear by association.

I notice you haven't properly challenged any of my original points, you just posted one sentence about nationalism.

"The EU becoming a single state is possibly the worst idea ever. National sovereignty is far too important to be destroyed for a pointless political project like a "United States of Europe". All that would do is transfer yet more power to an unaccountable political "elite", which is bad enough at the moment.

You cannot impose a one size fits all policy on a whole continent with many different countries, languages, cultures, economies, etc. It is just not possible. And let's be honest, you would have to impose it because such a move would face massive resistance. It would certainly not have "majority" support, as I have seen the OP claim it would somewhere in this thread."

What exactly would you say in response to my arguments about loss of sovereignty, weakening of democracy (see the comment about transferring of power), and simply the diversity of the continent in terms of countries, language, culture, and political and economic systems making such a project very difficult to carry out effectively?

Why are the Faroe Islands included in your map of an EU super state? The Faroes aren't in the EU.

Original post by Davij038
The official lingua Franca of the EU is English, I should add.

No it isn't. There are three unofficial working languages of the EU; English, French and German. You need to speak at least two of these if you want to work for the EU.
Reply 93
The war will be with Russia. The European Superstate will form as part of propaganda and EU nationalism will rise as our existence comes under threat from Russia. We'll come together as patriotic Europeans and make Putin our bitch.

You sound like a warmongering prude who actually believes all the anti-Russian propaganda.
Reply 94
Original post by Evening
You sound like a warmongering prude who actually believes all the anti-Russian propaganda.

No I don't believe any of it. I just believe an eventual war is inevitable.
Reply 95
Original post by Snufkin
Why are the Faroe Islands included in your map of an EU super state? The Faroes aren't in the EU.

I didn't produce it.
Reply 96
No I don't believe any of it. I just believe an eventual war is inevitable.

Could you add a poll:wink:
Original post by Evening

You sound like a cynical liar who believes all the pro Russian propaganda.
Original post by jakeel1
1) There is no such thing as a British identity anymore, so we can create a European one.
2) Hundreds of years? No
3) Actually imperialism was one of the cornerstones of liberalism in the 19th and early 20th centuries, most liberals were interventionalist.
4) True, however nationalism is backwards hogwash regardless, cultural nationalism is fine, political nationalism needs to die.

1) if we can create a european one, we can *definitely* create a british one -_-
2) how long, then?
3) no they weren't - the interventionism was conservatism and realism; if you read what bastiat and cobden wrote, you wouldn' be saying this nonsense)
4) I'm not talking much about nationalism in the sense you're talking about e.g. loving your country for no reason, I'm talking about national sovereignty and recognising that there actually is something about our country to be proud about - we lead the world in so many ways - scientifically, technologically, philosophically (at least once), somewhat economically
(edited 9 years ago)
1) if we can create a european one, we can *definitely* create a british one -_-
2) how long, then?
3) no they weren't - the interventionism was conservatism and realism; if you read what bastiat and cobden wrote, you wouldn' be saying this nonsense)
4) I'm not talking much about nationalism in the sense you're talking about e.g. loving your country for no reason, I'm talking about national sovereignty and recognising that there actually is something about our country to be proud about - we lead the world in so many ways - scientifically, technologically, philosophically (at least once), somewhat economically

Lmao bastiat was a fringe French thinker, look at the actual Liberal Party in the UK, I actually cba to argue this topic atm so i'll repost when I can be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending