The Student Room Group

For those of you who live alone. Do you get scared at night

I've lived in a house with my baby for just over a year now. I had a flat on my own for a year before but it was in a large converted house so I had other people all around and the entrance was protected by security all night. I didn't feel scared.
Since moving to my house I am really,
really scared.
they usually have a friend over three days of the week and sleep well when she is here but on the nights that it's just me and my son I have to to wait until I am really really tired before I can sleep. I jump at every noise.

In the beginning I couldn't sleep well at all and things have definitely improved I am no longer scared in the evening and only mildly scared at night but it's still there.

Do do any of you get scared at night? I'm a 25 year old woman! It's ridiculous! I don't even live in a rough area.

Scroll to see replies

I don't live on my own, but if for any reason I'm home alone at night I do get scared, yes. And there's no reason for it really. I will actually sleep with a light on, I'll never ever sleep in the dark on my own. Not the light in my bedroom though, the landing light usually just so I can see a bit.
Reply 2
Don't even need to live alone, just be in bed in a dark room at 3PM with your radiator and ceiling making noise, and after watching a horror movie. That's enough to scare anyone.
Reply 3
Actually this question is for anyone really. Whether you live alone or not. Just interested to see if it's common to be scared at night. I don't get scared when walking back from somewhere at night. Only in the house
It's just in your head..when you're home alone you become rattled at the slightest noise and you keep telling yourself "what was that, should I check it out, should I ignore it". Some people do get scared at night and I think it's more common than you might think. Just try and sleep and stop worrying you'll get used to it!
Currently live with my boyfriend of 2.5 years.

Before that...

Yes, I absolutely used to get scared at night. Would turn out the light at night and leap onto the bed as fast as humanly possible in order to minimise the probability of being grabbed by the resident monster under the bed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nah I used to live in a haunted house, nothing scares me now lol.
I'm always scared.
I don't know to be honest, I've never lived alone.
occasionally.
The one time I was alone at night, someone actually tried the back door...

But no, I've got dogs though & they double up as mobile burglar alarms. If they hear voices or a door being tried they'll bark (which would scare off a potential burglar).
Why do people get scared? What I tend to do if it's really quiet is have some background noise, maybe the radio or some music.
Reply 12
No. Just really lonely and sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How come you are no longer with your boyfriend if you don't mind me asking. Have you ever considered you maybe have some kind of anxiety condition.
No, I prefer the night to the day. If I am at home it is a place I know better than anyone else, I have the advantage.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I don't live on my own, but if for any reason I'm home alone at night I do get scared, yes. And there's no reason for it really. I will actually sleep with a light on, I'll never ever sleep in the dark on my own. Not the light in my bedroom though, the landing light usually just so I can see a bit.

Do you not find it hard to sleep with a light on? Also can't you lock your bedroom door?
Reply 16
Absolutely terrified at any time of the day. Particularly evenings.
Just normal stuff like going upstairs, and walking past the front room window I feel like theres always someone outside staring....

Oh there was this one time where guys were going round with gold detectors. So I wore my gold bangles and all my available jewellery and ran out to my sisters house. She said I look like a hippie :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is why you buy a German shepherd

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty scared right now actually, even though the boyfriend is asleep next to me. Can't sleep myself and too creeped out to look around the room. :frown:
If you say it's gotton better then eventually it'll go away.
Slightly different, but I used to get scared walking home from work at night, because it's dark and there's usually no one around in that area at that time. But now I don't even notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest