The Student Room Group

If I've done CFA Level 1, is the IMC qualification of any use?

I'm currently a Big Four auditor but trying to break into IB/PE/ER. I've done CFA Level 1 but I'm not sure if I'll be ready for Level 2 in June due to various reasons.

As such I was thinking of using this time to find something useful to do and one thing that crossed my mind was the IMC (Investment Management Certificate) where I could attempt Unit 1 and maybe even Unit 2.

What I was wondering however was:

1) Is the IMC qualification respected much in finance?

2) If I've already got CFA Level 1 under my belt, does this add anything to my CV or is it largely a waste of time?
Reply 1
Original post by snakesnake
I'm currently a Big Four auditor but trying to break into IB/PE/ER. I've done CFA Level 1 but I'm not sure if I'll be ready for Level 2 in June due to various reasons.

As such I was thinking of using this time to find something useful to do and one thing that crossed my mind was the IMC (Investment Management Certificate) where I could attempt Unit 1 and maybe even Unit 2.

2) If I've already got CFA Level 1 under my belt, does this add anything to my CV or is it largely a waste of time?

Imc is the foundation that leads to cfa. I have Imc and it helped me distinguish myself when applying for grad jobs. However, cfa lvl 1 builds on imc level 2 so i don't see the point. You could do imc level 1 which is more regulatory based but if i was you i would consider something else. No point in going back the ranks.
Reply 2
Original post by souman
Imc is the foundation that leads to cfa. I have Imc and it helped me distinguish myself when applying for grad jobs. However, cfa lvl 1 builds on imc level 2 so i don't see the point. You could do imc level 1 which is more regulatory based but if i was you i would consider something else. No point in going back the ranks.

Thanks for your reply.

I've read that for some roles IMC is a requirement and that if you've got CFA L1 done, then that will get you an exemption from Unit 2.

The reason I'm considering it that it doesn't seem to be too much effort/work/cost and I'd have another tick on my CV.

As for other things to do to improve my career chances, how do these sound?

1) I've started doing a Wall Street Prep financial modelling course to improve my modelling skills (and I'm finding I'm learning a lot of other analyst things along the way as well).

2) I've gotten some books on M&A/Valuations and Equity Research and to read through them and get a better understanding of the industry.

3) Networking with people on Linkedin- asking people who work in the companies I'm interested in about what they're looking for in someone going for such roles.
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply.

I've read that for some roles IMC is a requirement and that if you've got CFA L1 done, then that will get you an exemption from Unit 2.

The reason I'm considering it that it doesn't seem to be too much effort/work/cost and I'd have another tick on my CV.

As for other things to do to improve my career chances, how do these sound?

1) I've started doing a Wall Street Prep financial modelling course to improve my modelling skills (and I'm finding I'm learning a lot of other analyst things along the way as well).

2) I've gotten some books on M&A/Valuations and Equity Research and to read through them and get a better understanding of the industry.

3) Networking with people on Linkedin- asking people who work in the companies I'm interested in about what they're looking for in someone going for such roles.

It sounds like you have a clear plan. The list you provide is good. You can also consider alternative qualifications like cisi ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by souman
It sounds like you have a clear plan. The list you provide is good. You can also consider alternative qualifications like cisi ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I almost forgot CISI there for a second. Had a look at what they offer and there is quite a lot there, quite a few exams to choose from.

I think the one that might be the most applicable to me is the Certificate in Corporate Finance. It says there that "The Certificate meets the Financial Conduct Authority’s (FCA) mandatory exam requirements for those advising on investments in the course of corporate finance business and is listed in its Appropriate Qualification Table."
Am I to understand that for certain roles, taking this exam would be mandatory and I might end up having to take it anyway if I wish to work in IBD?
Reply 5
Thanks. I almost forgot CISI there for a second. Had a look at what they offer and there is quite a lot there, quite a few exams to choose from.

I think the one that might be the most applicable to me is the Certificate in Corporate Finance. It says there that "The Certificate meets the Financial Conduct Authority’s (FCA) mandatory exam requirements for those advising on investments in the course of corporate finance business and is listed in its Appropriate Qualification Table."
Am I to understand that for certain roles, taking this exam would be mandatory and I might end up having to take it anyway if I wish to work in IBD?

Depends on the ibd. Cfa is more recognised internationally whereas cisi is more of a uk thing. So if the ibd is American than they might require you to do the cfa equivalent? Then again you would be based in the uk so there's a big chance cisi will suffice. I'm not really sure myself tbh, I'm thinking logically. Will definitely look good anyway, and I'd imagine it will more than prepare you for additional exams if need be. Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by souman
Depends on the ibd. Cfa is more recognised internationally whereas cisi is more of a uk thing. So if the ibd is American than they might require you to do the cfa equivalent? Then again you would be based in the uk so there's a big chance cisi will suffice. I'm not really sure myself tbh, I'm thinking logically. Will definitely look good anyway, and I'd imagine it will more than prepare you for additional exams if need be. Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking more from a regulatory perspective. They say the CFA is the gold standard in finance qualifications and considering how much broader it is, I'm guessing that it covers a lot more material than the CISI exam. As such the main motivation for me to do the CISI exam would be to become FCA registered/approved (or whatever the term is).

For anyone who's done the CISI Certificate in Corp Fin or the IMC: how difficult are they? Is there a lot of crossover of materials with CFA L1?

IMC seems to be FCA & CFA Compliance requirement as Employer Recognised Entry Level Benchmark Qual. SO, if what the PR tells us is true, it will get you a job. Once inside a company then you can do your CFA 'Charter' journey, as I interpret it, but... that is simply my "interpretation". IMC is a sturdy wain to employment and CFA seems to be a case-by-case Employer/Monitor decided judgement. I have asked all of these questions t different bodies and all give different answers. Use IMC as a cutting tool to strike forward through the BS is my personal mission.

IMC seems to be FCA & CFA Compliance requirement as Employer Recognised Entry Level Benchmark Qual. SO, if what the PR tells us is true, it will get you a job. Once inside a company then you can do your CFA 'Charter' journey, as I interpret it, but... that is simply my "interpretation". IMC is a sturdy wain to employment and CFA seems to be a case-by-case Employer/Monitor decided judgement. I have asked all of these questions t different bodies and all give different answers. Use IMC as a cutting tool to strike forward through the BS is my personal mission.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending