The Student Room Group

UK University Hosts “Dear White People” Screening for BME Students

[h="1"]Goldsmiths, University of London student union.[/h]

Scroll to see replies

That is plain and simple racial segragation which has been supported by the Student Union. That is truly concerning.
Probably because white people would get touchy about the film. Have you seen the trailer? In another thread someone had white friends who didn't want to see Selma so I highly doubt white people are bothered. Then again I could be wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imagine the ****ing uproar if... etc.
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Probably because white people would get touchy about the film. Have you seen the trailer? In another thread someone had white friends who didn't want to see Selma so I highly doubt white people are bothered. Then again I could be wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having just watched the trailer I am very interested in watching Dear White People. I am still not interested in watching Selma because it looks boring.

I am a white person and if I were a student at Goldsmiths I would have very much liked to see it.

You can't deny what it is which is direct racial discrimination as defined by the Equality Act 2010 Section 13. Which is in breach of the law. Which is ironic because the whole film is about racism.
Yeah they really shouldn't be excluding white people. They may actually want to see it as well. Regardless of whether they do or don't it should say open to all. Members and non- members alike. Not being funny but if there was a society where only white people could see the movie, I'm sure everyone would get angry and complain. This is coming from a black girl btw so I really don't think it's fair on white people. People need to realise racial discrimination can come from both sides

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not just Muslims then is it?
As honorable as their intentions are, it seems they've completely missed the point and may have broken a law or two. Quite silly really. The institution should change that asap.
Original post by R£SP£CT
As honorable as their intentions are, it seems they've completely missed the point and may have broken a law or two. Quite silly really. The institution should change that asap.

I don't think they are trying to intentionally exclude whites as they haven't explicitly said no whites allowed. It just that the society is for ethnic minorities which they emphasised

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think they are trying to intentionally exclude whites as they haven't explicitly said no whites allowed. It just that the society is for ethnic minorities which they emphasised

Posted from TSR Mobile

Point taken :smile:. I think they should have been wiser in choice of words they used. "BME social tomorrow" could have sufficed. I seriously doubt that they are racist, but being a very sensitive subject the slightest error/mistake can be misquoted and taken out of context.
Original post by R£SP£CT
Point taken :smile:. I think they should have been wiser in choice of words they used. "BME social tomorrow" could have sufficed. I seriously doubt that they are racist, but being a very sensitive subject the slightest error/mistake can be misquoted and taken out of context.

Could be taken out of context like this.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culturehousedaily/2015/02/does-safe-space-actually-mean-racially-segregated-space/

Goldsmith's Student Union are now aware of the mistake they made and I wouldn't be surprised if the offending posts were removed within a day or two.

The worst thing you can possibly do is close the film to people who might disagree with it. It belies the entire meaning of any political message intended.

In fact, this situation is extremely funny. You would think that a film entitled "Dear White People" might be shown to white people.
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're judging what all white people think based on what one white person thinks? That's quite ironic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
So you're judging what all white people think based on what one white person thinks? That's quite ironic

Posted from TSR Mobile

No hence why I said I could be wrong. I also said it was possible not that all white people ARE thinking that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dazzster
[h="1"]Goldsmiths, University of London student union.[/h]

Why are white people like this?

If you really gave a hoot about the screening you would just go like damn wtf, and Muslims are every damn colour what's up with you?

You needa go back to the daily mail comment section frfr.
Subversion of Britain and it must be stopped.
Reply 16
No hence why I said I could be wrong. I also said it was possible not that all white people ARE thinking that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said 'I highly doubt white people are bothered' which would imply there's very little doubt in your mind. You said White people would get touchy about the film and you based it from a story of a couple of white people who didn't want to go and see Selma. By your logic it's okay for me to say 'most muslims probably want to fly a plane into a building, I highly doubt any of them would be against the idea but I could be wrong'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Independentisha
Why are white people like this?

If you really gave a hoot about the screening you would just go like damn wtf, and Muslims are every damn colour what's up with you?

You needa go back to the daily mail comment section frfr.

And are BME students any colour?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
disgusting
Original post by DiddyDec
And are BME students any colour?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yhhh! MINORITY ETHNIC they're not just black! You too much in other people's bidness, if you wanna make your white people only screening go head!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending