The Student Room Group

UK University Hosts “Dear White People” Screening for BME Students

Scroll to see replies

The biggest problem is that these people can't see why they are being so hilariously hypocritical.

HOWEVER, I make this remark under the assumption that ethnic Europeans/whites are barred from entry (which seems to be what the ad implies).
This is discrimination under s13(5) of the Equality Act, there is absolutely no question it is unlawful and they can be sued for this

13Direct discrimination

(1)

A person (A) discriminates against another (B) if, because of a protected characteristic, A treats B less favourably than A treats or would treat others.

(5)

If the protected characteristic is race, less favourable treatment includes segregating B from others.

The university also has a clear obligation under s149 of the Equality Act not to permit these kinds of things
(edited 9 years ago)
Europe should be 100% mixed race, black, asian = not racist. Europe should be 100% White = genocide. WHITE POWER! we need a Caucasian liberation movement we demand our country returned to it's rightful people.
PS Dear White People is an absolutely brilliant movie. I'm disappointed that these people decided to go ahead and ruin a screening of a hilarious, biting, intelligent movie about race politics with their juvenile, exclusionary bull****
Maybe they just wanted to watch a great hilarious film in a lighthearted manner without white people whinging about it and spoiling the mood.

I say that as a white person.
Reply 45
Original post by LordMarmalade
PS Dear White People is an absolutely brilliant movie. I'm disappointed that these people decided to go ahead and ruin a screening of a hilarious, biting, intelligent movie about race politics with their juvenile, exclusionary bull****

You liked it? I thought it was boring, predictable and directionless. The cinematography was beautiful tho. You can see the directors distinct personality in ever shot.
Original post by Anonymous823
Racism is only bad if White people do it don't you know that?

It's not racism to ethnically cleanse Europe by turning everyone mixed race it's called diversity!

:rolleyes:

It's just a movie henny.
Original post by Independentisha
Yhhh! MINORITY ETHNIC they're not just black! You too much in other people's bidness, if you wanna make your white people only screening go head!

That would be in direct contravention of the Equality Act 2010 Section 13. It is direct racial discrimination.
Original post by DiddyDec
That would be in direct contravention of the Equality Act 2010 Section 13. It is direct racial discrimination.

. . . Look if you're really that bothered take it up with the uni.
Original post by al_94
This is an event for ethnic minorities that is different to having an exclusively white event.

Only in the sense that one event (unjustifiably) discriminates against whites and the other (also unjustifiably) discriminates against non-whites.

Unjustifiable discrimination is unjustifiable discrimination. To allow one and not the other would be hypocrisy and double standards of the worst kind.

The only way you can prove your point is if you manage to distinguish between the two (hypothetical) scenarios of discrimination on grounds of justifiability; namely by showing how the former event is justifiable whereas the latter is not (not all discrimination is unjustifiable).
Original post by Independentisha
. . . Look if you're really that bothered take it up with the uni.

Do you care about any issues in the world? Do you ever take sides in conflicts?

If so, do you refrain from making known your opinions on public forums or to anyone other than the party whose actions you disagree with? This is effectively what you are implying should be done in this case, and I don't see how you can distinguish this from any other disagreement/conflict (etc) to allow you to justify your stance on people making known their views on this event.
Original post by redferry
Maybe they just wanted to watch a great hilarious film in a lighthearted manner without white people whinging about it and spoiling the mood.

Could you not make the same argument to defend an alternative form of racial segregation (namely 'whites only' etc)?

I see no difference between your statement and:

"Maybe they (white people) just wanted to watch a great hilarious film in a light hearted manner without non-white people whinging about it and spoiling the mood."
Original post by White.Rights
Europe should be 100% mixed race, black, asian = not racist. Europe should be 100% White = genocide. WHITE POWER! we need a Caucasian liberation movement we demand our country returned to it's rightful people.

Christ on a bike this better be a troll account

I worry for my safety and for the sanity of this country sometimes
Reply 52
Lol this is stupid, and even the movie sounds stupid. I had no idea there were even such uni communities? Suprised nothing is being done about it tbh
Racism. Imagine if reversed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Could you not make the same argument to defend an alternative form of racial segregation (namely 'whites only' etc)?

I see no difference between your statement and:

"Maybe they (white people) just wanted to watch a great hilarious film in a light hearted manner without non-white people whinging about it and spoiling the mood."

There's plenty of difference. White people have historically held and still hold the balance of social and political power. Ofc BME students need their own spaces, if they so wish, as the current social/political climate can be very tense in that regard. (EDL peak times in the past are an example of this).

Consider: LGBT / straight people. You can't just flip the two and assume they are 100% synonymous. One comes loaded with a heavy history of violence and rejection from society. The other has, well, never had a day of trouble really.
Original post by молодой гений
White people have historically held and still hold the balance of social and political power.

This does not justify the racial discrimination talked about in the OP.

Segregation based on races/ethnicities is unjustifiable per se.

Ofc BME students need their own spaces, if they so wish, as the current social/political climate can be very tense in that regard. (EDL peak times in the past are an example of this).

Why do people of different ethnicities require "their own spaces"? Do all ethnicities "need their own spaces"? What does this entail? Where does this end (optional *black/asian/etc only* lecture halls? toilets?)?
Maybe we should set up a White People Society, which only whites are allowed to join, and play a film called Dear Black People, and bar all non-whites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Maybe we should set up a White People Society, which only whites are allowed to join, and play a film called Dear Black People, and bar all non-whites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imagine the (justified) outrage.

The hypocrisy on this thread is astounding. The implication being that victims of past discrimination (in some cases many decades ago...) can justifiably discriminate against the group of people who once discriminated against 'them'... Worrying.
Rather stupid how the OP tries to make this look like Muslims are collectively responsible for this in the thread title when all he sees is a girl in a hijab in the picture. It's pathetic and a cheap attempt to vindicate Muslims as a people.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Rather stupid how the OP tries to make this look like Muslims are collectively responsible for this in the thread title when all he sees is a girl in a hijab in the picture. It's pathetic and a cheap attempt to vindicate Muslims as a people.

Agreed.

The discrimination does not appear to have any, evidently clear, religious undertones as it does not discriminate against/favour any religion over another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending