The Student Room Group

Commuting for a nursing course?

I'm hoping to get into Coventry for MH Nursing September 2015 entry, and if I did I would seriously be considering commuting as I have so many friends and a long term relationship in Birmingham.

Also for financial reasons- the accommodation in Coventry seems quite expensive, and if I stayed in Brum I would move in with my partner, so rent would be a fraction of what would be to stay in halls or even in a shared house.

I'm just wondering if this would be at all practical while studying a nursing degree? I know the course has high contact hours and placements spread all over the place, so I don't know whether a 1 hour- 1.5 hour commute would be practical.

What do people think? Anyone tried commuting to a course with high contact hours?
What you need to find out is where your placements (community and clinical) are going to be and whether or not you can get there for a 7am start?
It may be feasible if you drive, it doesn't take that long to drive to cov from brum, if you're thinking of using public transport you'll have to consider how you'd get to placement at 7am somewhere in cov, the trains don't start until about 8 to 9 am as far as I remember.

Why don't you consider applying to Brum uni or BCU as we if you already have roots in brum and want to stay there then that makes more sense.
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
It may be feasible if you drive, it doesn't take that long to drive to cov from brum, if you're thinking of using public transport you'll have to consider how you'd get to placement at 7am somewhere in cov, the trains don't start until about 8 to 9 am as far as I remember.

Why don't you consider applying to Brum uni or BCU as we if you already have roots in brum and want to stay there then that makes more sense.

I don't drive :frown:

I'll check the train times, but it's starting look more like wishful thinking now.

And the reason I didn't apply to unis in Brum is that I don't have science A levels that both of those universities require.
Reply 4
Original post by MolluscBaby
I'm hoping to get into Coventry for MH Nursing September 2015 entry, and if I did I would seriously be considering commuting as I have so many friends and a long term relationship in Birmingham.

Also for financial reasons- the accommodation in Coventry seems quite expensive, and if I stayed in Brum I would move in with my partner, so rent would be a fraction of what would be to stay in halls or even in a shared house.

I'm just wondering if this would be at all practical while studying a nursing degree? I know the course has high contact hours and placements spread all over the place, so I don't know whether a 1 hour- 1.5 hour commute would be practical.

What do people think? Anyone tried commuting to a course with high contact hours?

Hi there,
Great to hear your considering Coventry. You might find commuting difficult, but its definitely not impossible. Have you thought about looking at private rental accommodation in Coventry? That can work out significantly cheaper in my experience, but you do miss out on the experience of living in hall!
If we can help at all, do let us know!
- Josh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending