The Student Room Group

Study proves ''men are idiots''

A new study has used data to claim that men are idiots, writes Catherine Rodie.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/study-supports-male-idiot-theory-20141216-127z0r.html

Men Are Idiots, British Medical Journal Study Proves

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/12/15/men-are-idiots-study_n_6318414.html

‘Men Are Idiots’, New Study Says

http://time.com/3631350/men-are-idiots-new-study-says/

OK so 2 things:

1. Can you imagine a title saying ''Women are idiots'' in some of the most respected media outlets in the world in any kind of context, even if it ''jokey''? It would never, ever happen.

2. If men - who are responsible for inventing, creating and building 99% of everything we see around us since the day we became Homo sapiens and still do even in 2015 - are idiots then what does that make women?
This was of course preceded by a study that concluded Clickbaits work.
Us women are the best. The lecture below by a renowned professor proves it.

Reply 3
Can I just.. that second point you gave. Entertain me as to why you think this is so.

The study itself mentioned that there were some limitations to it, one of which is that there's a chance that male nominations could have been considered more noteworthy for submission to the Darwin Award, hence it's opinion based on the person nominating. The intention of the study was in an effort to eradicate the "Men Are Stupid" idea, with results that ended up agreeing with the statement.
Here we go again, the 57,889th TSR thread I've clicked on that starts out with a blatant generalization with countless millions of counterexamples.
well firstly they are actually using idiot as a positive term as it means risk taking which often pays off. also, theyre quoting a 15 year old. and then there's also the fact that im pretty sure men are more likely to be secure in how society views them seeing as they have been THE OVERLORDS for the past however many millennia, so yeah as soon as someone stereotypes a man, someone can come back immediately and say but einstein but obama blah blah blah just as you did. youre right about that. that proves that men are not unintelligent.
one thing i would say is that if someone said this about women i can kind of understand why people would find it more offensive even if it was a joke is because to be honest this view was the norm really quite recently. women couldnt vote and werent allowed to be full members of prestigious universities because of the view of women being unintelligent that has prevailed for so long. people might be more sensitive to it because there are still so many people who believe it, but are also backed up be history and society's views.

anyways i do see your point, i dont think its right to go from insulting one gender to insulting the other, not least because it annoys people and sets us back from making any further progress. i still think that at least saying something like that is very obviously a joke/borderline complementary due to the context its said in, and so probably is liable to do less damage to the pubic view or hopefully men's self esteem.
Reply 7
So what's new? :laugh:
Reply 8
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Can I just.. that second point you gave. Entertain me as to why you think this is so.

The study itself mentioned that there were some limitations to it, one of which is that there's a chance that male nominations could have been considered more noteworthy for submission to the Darwin Award, hence it's opinion based on the person nominating. The intention of the study was in an effort to eradicate the "Men Are Stupid" idea, with results that ended up agreeing with the statement.

The ''study'' is meaningless, that's not the point. It's the way all these ''world class'' media outlets presented it : do you believe ''women are stupid'' would show up anywhere in the respectable mainstream press ? I'll give you another example from not so long ago, BBC had an article called "Y chromosome: Why men contribute so little" :

"Y chromosome: Why men contribute so little" and a stock photo of an ostensibly satirically lazy, self-satisfied looking male entitled "Obese man sitting on his sofa with TV remote".

The page isn't there anymore:

This story has been amended following a complaint to the BBC's Editorial Complaints Unit that was partly upheld.

Can you imagine a BBC page saying ''Why women contribute so little?'' accompanied by a photo of a morbidly obese woman sitting lazily on a couch?

And it gets better, comments ticked as "editors picks" (later deleted):

"Well it's hardly true to say "men contribute so little". They have an X chromosome too, after all. But, speaking as a man I would agree that the Y chromosome is generally more trouble than its worth. No great loss if we are able to get along without it. I've always said that whilst women are impossible men are actually useless."

"It has been known for some time that the human male chromasome has been disintegrating to the point that there is hardly any left. Science may wish to investigate this in order to preserve human life, but maybe nature is telling us that we have outstayed our welcome."

As for my 2nd point, I don't get it. Men have invented , created and built 99% of civilization and still do even in Feb 2015, where's the controversy?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by EmergencyBagels

anyways i do see your point, i dont think its right to go from insulting one gender to insulting the other, not least because it annoys people and sets us back from making any further progress. i still think that at least saying something like that is very obviously a joke/borderline complementary due to the context its said in, and so probably is liable to do less damage to the pubic view or hopefully men's self esteem.

Girls believe they are cleverer, better behaved and try harder than boys from the age of four, research suggests.

By the age of eight, boys had also adopted these perceptions, the study from the University of Kent found.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-11151143
Original post by SiminaM

Wow so sexist :curious:

Is that a romanian name btw?
Men are different from women. They aren't idiots and women aren't weak.
Reply 12
Original post by SiminaM

I am! :biggrin:
Reply 13
It's quite obviously click bait, and you fell for it.
Original post by Truths
It's quite obviously click bait, and you fell for it.

I know it is. But why is there never click bait relating to women ? Can you imagine an article titled ''Women are idiots'' or ''Why women contribute so little?'' on BBC or in TIME?
Original post by SerenityNow
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/study-supports-male-idiot-theory-20141216-127z0r.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/12/15/men-are-idiots-study_n_6318414.html

http://time.com/3631350/men-are-idiots-new-study-says/

OK so 2 things:

1. Can you imagine a title saying ''Women are idiots'' in some of the most respected media outlets in the world in any kind of context, even if it ''jokey''? It would never, ever happen.

2. If men - who are responsible for inventing, creating and building 99% of everything we see around us since the day we became Homo sapiens and still do even in 2015 - are idiots then what does that make women?

Low density of connections in the prefrontal cortex of the brain.
Prefrontal cortex is responsible for making decisions.
It is not fully developed till the mid to late 20's.
During this time, you will see many men taking huge risks.
Wouldn't surprise me if the author of this "study" had a hand in the recent "1 in 3 men are rapists" "study".
Original post by william walker
Men are different from women. They aren't idiots and women aren't weak.

Truth be told though, women are physically weak when compared with men,
Original post by Spetznaaz
Truth be told though, women are physically weak when compared with men,

Indeed, but the words compared to men, matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending