The Student Room Group

A2 OCR english literature exam -11 June 2015

Hey guys, surprised there wasn't a thread for this year up yet! Whats everyone's exam texts? ~I'm studying The Wife of Bath/The Rivals and King Lear :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marmite97
Hey guys, surprised there wasn't a thread for this year up yet! Whats everyone's exam texts? ~I'm studying The Wife of Bath/The Rivals and King Lear :biggrin:

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English exams forum for you :h:
Hey!

I'm also studying King Lear with The Wife of Bath/The Rivals :smile:
Hi I'm studying the Wife of Bath/The rivals and a midsummer night's dream :smile: how are you finding the texts?
Reply 4
Original post by Luna_Gander
Hi I'm studying the Wife of Bath/The rivals and a midsummer night's dream :smile: how are you finding the texts?

we haven't finished reading any of the texts so a bit freaked out tbh, but the comparison is so hard! Struggling to find points to compare other than love/marriage/stereotypes ... :s-smilie:
I'm studying King Lear, Songs of Innocence and Experience and Tis Pity.
Original post by Marmite97
we haven't finished reading any of the texts so a bit freaked out tbh, but the comparison is so hard! Struggling to find points to compare other than love/marriage/stereotypes ... :s-smilie:

I think one of the key comparisons to make between The Wife of Bath/The Rivals (as well as love/marriage/relationships) is the humour through the language both authors use - especially with the women (WoB misquoting Bible and Mrs Malaprops 'malapropisms') - it seems like the authors are making quite the social comment about the education of women at the time!
Anyone have any predications for King LEar?
Reply 8
Interesting point came up today when we were talking about King Lear so thought I'd share it :smile: ~~~ Can Lear be considered the main character?
My opinion is that he spends the majority of the play being acted on and so apart from his initial dividing into the three kingdoms he is not in charge of the plot line so to speak whereas another character like Edmund is far more pivotal to the plot line and as a result of his schemes a considerable amount of the play is as a result of his character.
A* boundaries are soooo high for this exam!
If anyone else is doing The White Devil with Paradise Lost and fancies messaging to share points and critics, let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit late to the party, but I'm doing 'Tis Pity/Wife of Bath and The Tempest :smile: I'm finding it very difficult to think of themes for The Tempest when there have only been two past papers!
I'm doing 'The White Devil' and 'Songs of Innocence and Experience' for Part A and 'Antony and Cleopatra' for Part B- really starting to panic- struggling on methods to revise and not too sure on what themes will come up :s-smilie:
Original post by Naomi12
If anyone else is doing The White Devil with Paradise Lost and fancies messaging to share points and critics, let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing The White Devil... so could share some ideas?
Anyone else doing The White Devil and Marvell? I'm also doing King Lear :smile:

Apparently my coursework's really good so I'm praying that I get full UMS or close in that. I want an A* in lit so badly but it's so unpredictable...irritatingly I could get a low B this year and get an A overall, but I need essentially full marks for an A*. Goddamn grade boundaries.
Reply 15
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the grade boundaries are to get an A*/A raw marks wise?

I'm doing King Lear for the first section and The Rivals and The Wife of Bath for the comparative piece.

Honestly there is so much content to cover for King Lear. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of themes/ issues the play covers and critical content. :s-smilie:

I've found a link with some more possible questions for King Lear if anyone is interested. :smile:
http://johnfisherschool.org/sites/default/files/uploads/users/12/King%20Lear%20-%20Mock%20Exam%20Questions.pdf
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Bit late to the party, but I'm doing 'Tis Pity/Wife of Bath and The Tempest :smile: I'm finding it very difficult to think of themes for The Tempest when there have only been two past papers!

Do you have any good notes for The Tempest? Or Wife of Bath? :smile:
I'm doing King Lear, and then comparing Blake and Webster. Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Has anyone started comparing The Rivals and The Wife of Bath in class yet? We've only managed to read the texts separately without making comparisons!
Reply 19
Original post by newlight99
Do you have any good notes for The Tempest? Or Wife of Bath? :smile:

Does anyone have the question from June 2014's paper on this topic? I can't find it anywhere!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending