The Student Room Group

How do you guys study Law?

Hi all!

I'm not from England (live's hard :P) and all I've heard is that you are not guided by law but by precedents, i mean, jury precedents. (I'm from Colombia and although we are guided by precedents too, the more important guide is the law, moreover, the Constitution.) I want to know is, if this is like that, how do yo study, you read sentences everyday? are there few main jury precedents? what are , or what is the more important court? is it really that you don't have any codes? where do you took the information (precedents, resolutions, etc) from?

Thank you all!
We have several main forms of law, such as:

1) Statute - made up of primary and secondary legislation (these are what you would refer to as 'laws')
2) Common law - these are the precedents set by judges and are still regarded as laws.
3) EU conventions - these are the treaties that protect our rights as part of the European Union

We do have a constitution but most of it is not codified (written down).

We study the same as you would, looking at court cases and statute from online databases, journals, books etc...

The highest court in the UK is the Supreme Court (formerly known as the House of Lords).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending