The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
superdillon
As of yet, I haven't actually produced my own CV. But from what I know, there is a pretty set structure that is generally adopted. Part of it involves a detailed acadmic history to date. Surely the latter (academic history to date) should begin by stating what your GCSE results are, followed by your A-levels, and University grades (although for that, I know, you have to send a transcript of your grades):confused: . What do you mean therefore that your CV was 'legally related'? Do you mean that you went into a lot of detail on the extra-curricular section (if there is one) of your CV? :s-smilie:

A CV should show your most recent academics first, so it'd be university results, then A-levels, then GCSEs. There comes a point where GCSEs don't seem very important and it might be enough to write "11 GCSEs" on the CV rather than the particular grades.

I think on my last CV I wrote "11 GCSEs, 4A*, 5A, 2B" and the year I did them (1996 - I am old :s-smilie: ) - didn't bother splitting them up by subject - but the recruitment consultants I used may well have taken the grades out, not sure how important they are after university.
super: I found the set CV structure on my university careers website, they actually had a separate one which people should employ for applying for law positions (ie vac schemes etc) for the firms which use them, rather than forms. However, they still contained a GCSE breakdown at this stage.

I didn't have a CV until I found out I had to write one two days before my scholarship application had to be sent to Freshfields for this year abroad. There was a 1/3 chance (3 ppl in NUS) and I had th best grades (by some distance) so I was hopeful. However, I didn't get it ... so I'm guessing my hurrily cobbled together CV was inadequate. I'm angry, 2500 quid would have gone a long way (no pound sign on this damn singapore keyboard).

Latest

Trending

Trending