The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff Architecture 2015

Hey, I thought it'd be a good idea to see who's going to start the course with me :smile: I accepted cardiff as my firm.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey! i accepted cardiff as my firm too. im so excited!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 21239397
hey! i accepted cardiff as my firm too. im so excited!

Hey good to know ! Are you staying in halls or private accommodation ?
Reply 3
Cardiff is my firm too, though I have never been there... Could anyone review what it is like? How does it compare to Oxford Brookes?
Reply 4
Original post by LLk1
Cardiff is my firm too, though I have never been there... Could anyone review what it is like? How does it compare to Oxford Brookes?

Can't really say how it's like comparing to Brookes since I've never been myself but I was really impressed with Cardiff on the open day. The campus was absolutely stunning and I just loved the surroundings especially all the buildings. Bute building is located right at the back the inside is shared with Journalism, Arch is on the 2nd floor. The studios are spacious and very bright during daytime which is one thing I really liked, the workshop is just right behind the studios. The library is also shared with Journalism students but we do get some designated space on 2nd floor for Arch only (they are connected by stairs). Speaking frankly the interior was a little dull to my taste but that doesn't determine the teaching quality.
Cardiff is my firm and I totally agree with your review of it. Location/facilities look great! 😊

Original post by Indiestreet
Can't really say how it's like comparing to Brookes since I've never been myself but I was really impressed with Cardiff on the open day. The campus was absolutely stunning and I just loved the surroundings especially all the buildings. Bute building is located right at the back the inside is shared with Journalism, Arch is on the 2nd floor. The studios are spacious and very bright during daytime which is one thing I really liked, the workshop is just right behind the studios. The library is also shared with Journalism students but we do get some designated space on 2nd floor for Arch only (they are connected by stairs). Speaking frankly the interior was a little dull to my taste but that doesn't determine the teaching quality.
Reply 6
What would you say about the student work?

I am mainly interested in the conceptual architecture - will Cardiff fulfil this interest?

Why did you choose Cardiff over your other offers other than the quality of the building?

Ive noticed their publicity is not great, so I cant see much of their work online...
Reply 7
Original post by LLk1
What would you say about the student work?

I am mainly interested in the conceptual architecture - will Cardiff fulfil this interest?

Why did you choose Cardiff over your other offers other than the quality of the building?

Ive noticed their publicity is not great, so I cant see much of their work online...

Personally I chose it because I didn't want to apply to courses where Maths and Physics are core and I just felt like Cardiff was the right combination, also I wanted to stay down south and have easy access to London - plus it's a decent uni. I did consider Newcastle, Liverpool and Edinburgh but all of them are just way too far to my preference. I think one of the best things about Cardiff is the fact that it's a capital which means there'll be so much going on and you'll never be left behind when it comes to gigs and international events. Just to add my personal view, I'm a design based student and the way I've been taught to think radically but base concepts on reality and I feel like Cardiff is flexible enough for me to express my artistic ability into ideas but still be able to make them come true.
Reply 8
Personally I chose it because I didn't want to apply to courses where Maths and Physics are core and I just felt like Cardiff was the right combination, also I wanted to stay down south and have easy access to London - plus it's a decent uni. I did consider Newcastle, Liverpool and Edinburgh but all of them are just way too far to my preference. I think one of the best things about Cardiff is the fact that it's a capital which means there'll be so much going on and you'll never be left behind when it comes to gigs and international events. Just to add my personal view, I'm a design based student and the way I've been taught to think radically but base concepts on reality and I feel like Cardiff is flexible enough for me to express my artistic ability into ideas but still be able to make them come true.

Ah! brilliant answer, thanks for your help
Hi guys! I accepted Cardiff as my firm as well. I am from Bulgaria and my condition was to achieve 5,50 in my diploma. However, I got 5,42 , this means I only needed 0,8 to achieve my conditional, so now I am really worried they might not accept me. I really want to study there, do you think this will be a problem? They were the first uni to accept me after I sent my application.
Hi, I accepted Cardiff as my firm as well. I am from Bulgaria and they wanted me to achieve 5,50 in my diploma. However, I got 5,42 - that means I needed only 0,8 to achieve my conditional offer. I really hope they still accept me. Do you guys think this will be a problem ? The difference really isn't that much. I guess it depends if the course is very competitive.
Original post by Yasmine666666
Hi, I accepted Cardiff as my firm as well. I am from Bulgaria and they wanted me to achieve 5,50 in my diploma. However, I got 5,42 - that means I needed only 0,8 to achieve my conditional offer. I really hope they still accept me. Do you guys think this will be a problem ? The difference really isn't that much. I guess it depends if the course is very competitive.

Hey congratulations on your offer. To be very honest Cardiff do have very high standards when it comes to selecting students but I think they can definitely make an adjustment for you because don't forget they want you as much as you want to get in !
I think they can definitely make an adjustment for you

you really have no warrant to be giving an international student what might very well be false hope. She needs to Email Cardiff Architecture, but should know that this is an oversubscribed course.
Oh well, I really hope we get to study together :smile:
Hey,
My place was confirmed a few weeks ago. Looking forward to meeting you all in September.
Original post by Bethanjohn
Hey,
My place was confirmed a few weeks ago. Looking forward to meeting you all in September.

Hey congrats on that ! Do you have any idea of what's the next step ? Are we meant to receive any welcome pack or information soon ?
@Indiestreet Thanks, I was wondering about that as well.
Do we have a reading list?
Where are you from btw:smile:?
(edited 8 years ago)
@Indiestreet Thanks, I was wondering about that as well.
Do we have a reading list?
Where are you from btw:smile:?

I read on the FAQ page and as far as I'm aware we'll be contacted to enrol online 3 weeks before the course commences on 21 Sep and that's all I know. When it comes to late august I'm quite sure we should at least receive some further information since atm A-level results are not yet known and many people are still holding conditional offers. I'm from Swindon, SW England wbu ?
I read on the FAQ page and as far as I'm aware we'll be contacted to enrol online 3 weeks before the course commences on 21 Sep and that's all I know. When it comes to late august I'm quite sure we should at least receive some further information since atm A-level results are not yet known and many people are still holding conditional offers. I'm from Swindon, SW England wbu ?

Right thanks.
I've actually lived in Cardiff all my life and didn't want to stray far with it being so highly ranked. Cardiff is amazing, I guess I'll be the tour guide haha
Right thanks.
I've actually lived in Cardiff all my life and didn't want to stray far with it being so highly ranked. Cardiff is amazing, I guess I'll be the tour guide haha

That's so convenient ! So I assume you'll be living at home. I ended up getting a private halls on Salisbury road which isn't far from Bute but a bit concerned about making friends since everyone seems to be living in uni halls !

Quick Reply

Latest